Leader of Hezbollah died today

PHANTASM

Muhammed Fadlallah died today from internal bleeding from liver disease. In case you don't know, he was the mastermind behind Hezbollah (the Party of Allah), arguably the most successful terrorist movement on earth. He was 75.

Hezbollah was the victor in the Lebanese Civil War that lasted through much of the 80s and 90s. There were about 17 armies (not kidding) fighting each other in this war.

The US Marines were driven out of Lebanon due to a Hezbollah truck bomb attacking their barracks and killing over 200 US Marines. UN rules prevented the Marines from shooting at the truck as it approached their base, allowing it to get through the gate and detonate. This led to a breakdown in US-UN relations, which has had severe effects on the world ever since (like the Iraq War, Somalia, etc).

Hezbollah has battled Israelis for decades and in 2006 drove them out of Southern Lebanon in armed combat, taking over 1000 casualties in the brief war (Israel lost about 100 men then ran away).

It will be interesting to see who takes over Hezbollah now and how it will affect the relative stability of the Middle East.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/07/04/lebanons-shiite-cleric-mohammed-hussein-fadlallah-dies-hospital-near-beirut/?test=latestnews

Note: I wrote this myself, I did not copy and paste this from any other source, just my own knowledge about Hezbollah.

It will be interesting to see who takes over Hezbollah now and how it will affect the relative stability of the Middle East.

um, yea. hopefully someone with half a brain. that area is a powder keg waiting to go off.

• Administrators

He was a cleric (grand ayatollah) not a leader of Hezboollah, so by him not liking US and expressing that feeling in public makes him a terrorist? Also love how you used faux news as source.

He was a cleric (grand ayatollah) not a leader of Hezboollah, so by him not liking US and expressing that feeling in public makes him a terrorist? Also love how you used faux news as source.

lol I got to the foxnews site directly from the google news page. Didn't see any inaccuracies in the fox news page. Perhaps I could link the cnn page with the same story.

The guy was in charge of Hezbollah, behind the so-called "President of Hezbollah", the same way the Ayatollahs of Iran control their so-called President Ahmedinejihad. Same system. That's how the Shiites organize themselves.

What's funny is I actually respected the guy, in a way, and I first read about him in 1997 when I got the book "The World's Most Dangerous Places". So no, I don't sit around watching Fox News all day and I knew about him long ago.

I clearly remember when they blew up the Marine barracks, I was a kid but I remember what an effect it had on Americans.

• Administrators

lol I got to the foxnews site directly from the google news page. Didn't see any inaccuracies in the fox news page. Perhaps I could link the cnn page with the same story.

The guy was in charge of Hezbollah, behind the so-called "President of Hezbollah", the same way the Ayatollahs of Iran control their so-called President Ahmedinejihad. Same system. That's how the Shiites organize themselves.

What's funny is I actually respected the guy, in a way, and I first read about him in 1997 when I got the book "The World's Most Dangerous Places". So no, I don't sit around watching Fox News all day and I knew about him long ago.

I clearly remember when they blew up the Marine barracks, I was a kid but I remember what an effect it had on Americans.

Maybe this is a more appropriate article to read about him

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-0705-mohammed-hussein-fadlallah20100705,0,1065771.story