Compatible Mods on Mac OSX

r3wind3r

Hey all.

Anybody got an idea why i can run older silent mods on Mac OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard but game crash on silent 0.9.0 on any server i connect to? (Silent 0.8.2 runs fine)

About the same happens when i try to connect to ET Pro servers.

Shouldn't all mods be compatible to this version of OSX? (I'm running this old system since on newer systems like El Capitan i would have to use ET Legacy afaik and there i have the same problems on even more mods and bad fps and no punkbuster support)

Here some error message logs, though i think those are pretty common/random and occur on different problems so might not tell me much about the actual problem.

-> When the game crashs I get the error message:

VM create on UI failed

-> Wolfenstein console log brings up nothing but:

logfile opened on Mon Jun 12 13:22:15 2017
Sys_ShutdownNetworking();

-> my console system.log sometimes says this:

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[129]    ([0x0-0x4f04f].com.activision.rtcw_et[481]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error

-> Wolfenstein crashlog shows (excerpt - showing the most important lines i think):

Process:         Wolfenstein ET [699]
Path:            /Applications/Wolfenstein ET/Wolfenstein ET.app/Contents/MacOS/Wolfenstein ET
Identifier:      com.activision.rtcw_et
Version:         2.60b4 (2.60b4)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [129]

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000e3e12 0x1000 + 929298
1   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x0007a5b5 0x1000 + 497077
2   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x00052cbf 0x1000 + 335039
3   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x0004208b 0x1000 + 266379
4   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000427bc 0x1000 + 268220
5   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x00055bf7 0x1000 + 347127
6   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000566b8 0x1000 + 349880
7   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000404e0 0x1000 + 259296
8   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x0007b5a4 0x1000 + 501156
9   com.activision.rtcw_et            0x0007b67e 0x1000 + 501374
10  com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000e4e76 0x1000 + 933494
11  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x955e8a3b __CFRunLoopRun + 8059
12  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x955e63c4 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 452
13  com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x955e61f1 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 97
14  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x9458ce04 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 392
15  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x9458cbb9 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 354
16  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x94715084 _AcquireNextEvent + 54
17  com.apple.HIToolbox               0x9470ad40 RunApplicationEventLoop + 228
18  com.activision.rtcw_et            0x000e3cc2 0x1000 + 928962
19  com.activision.rtcw_et            0x00002456 0x1000 + 5206
20  com.activision.rtcw_et            0x0000237d 0x1000 + 4989

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
  eax: 0x00000000  ebx: 0x00110ebc  ecx: 0x97537c47  edx: 0x00000008
  edi: 0xbfff63a8  esi: 0x00000000  ebp: 0xbfff5348  esp: 0xbfff4e00
   ss: 0x0000001f  efl: 0x00010216  eip: 0x000e3e12   cs: 0x00000017
   ds: 0x0000001f   es: 0x0000001f   fs: 0x00000000   gs: 0x00000037
  cr2: 0x00000000

Thanks in advance  for any help or ideas on solving this issue :rolleyes:

Edited by r3wind3r

That *is* odd that you're experiencing issues under Snow Leopard since it's Rosetta (PowerPC application) compatible.
What I see based on the crash dump is that ET is trying to access protected memory that has been reserved by the Mach kernel.

What I have read from the Silent forums (mygamingtalk), the issue is more than likely due to an incomplete or corrupted download of the mod. It is also possible that the server running 0.90 isn't allowing you to download the mod files. My suggestion would be to download Silent 0.90 from mygamingtalk here: http://mygamingtalk.com/forums/files/file/38-silent/ and place silent-0.9.0.pk3 into your silent folder. It's more than likely located at /Applications/Wolfenstein ET/Wolfenstein ET.app/Contents/MacOS/Wolfenstein ET.

What you will want to do is open up Applications and right click "Wolfenstein ET" and choose "Show package contents". Then navigate to Contents -> MacOS -> Wolfenstein ET -> Silent. Copy the pk3 file into the silent folder and try connecting again. (I hope this path is correct. My Mac OS knowledge is slightly out of date)

Let us know if this works for you. I'm more than happy to fire up my old mac and double check things if you run into any issues.

The path for mods is User/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET :)

I followed your suggestion and downloaded that file manually. This is actually a good hint that helped me before since my application quits very often while downloading stuff from F|A servers (after every single downloaded file). So i have to connect again and again until i have all necessary files. (Took me ages to find out...) But sometimes i get incomplete files like that (*. tmp) and then i did it the way you suggested by getting the files from the web. BUT in this case it doesnt solve it unfortunately :(

Maybe i am still missing some files?

When i connect with an empty silent folder i get these files:

silent-0.9.0.pk3

zz_silent90-0.6d.pk3

~fearless_ssp_b1.pk3

Here a screenshot of my last silent folder which i can play silent 0.8.2 with:

post-21384-0-92666800-1497341926_thumb.png

Or any cvar set wrong? Found this in a console log:

server forcing cvar snaps to 20
server forcing cvar r_ambientScale to 0.5
server forcing cvar r_colorMipLevels to 0
server forcing cvar r_lightmap to 0
server forcing cvar cl_freelook to 1
server forcing cvar cl_pitchspeed to 0
server forcing cvar cl_timenudge to 0
server forcing cvar r_zfar to 0
server forcing cvar r_softwareGL to 0
server forcing cvar r_drawfoliage to 0

Or something to do with 32bit 64bit application?

When i change mod to silent on ET start screen/main menu console writes this: (but remember i can run silent 0.8.2 so this might not be relevant)

Wolfenstein ET[208]    Error loading /Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac:  dlopen(/Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac, 262): Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac
  Reason: image not found

When i change mod to ET pro i get this:

Wolfenstein ET[278]    Error loading /Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac:  dlopen(/Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac, 262): no suitable image found.  Did find:
    /Users/x/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/etmain/ui_mac.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ui_mac: mach-o, but wrong architecture

kinda same error i get on some mods when using ET Legacy on other OS.

Edited by r3wind3r

Try swapping the mp_x86.dll files from the ET Main folder to the the mod folder most times it cause the download doesn't match your install.

cgame_mp_x86.dll

my_cgame_mp_x86.dll

ui_mp_x86.dll <--- most times it's this one obviously

Try swapping the mp_x86.dll files from the ET Main folder to the the mod folder most times it cause the download doesn't match your install.

cgame_mp_x86.dll

my_cgame_mp_x86.dll

ui_mp_x86.dll <--- most times it's this one obviously

I don't have these files  :wacko:  Sure they should exist on mac osx?

From second link try ET-OSX-2.60d.dmg 2007-07-15 13:52 2.8M

http://wolf.dev9.org/ET/Patches/ <-- cool link

good share maybe fix his problem is from here post #2  https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/44391-enemy-territory-mac/

You can download a pre-patched 2.60d here.

Already found that on forum but that didnt help me :S

From second link try ET-OSX-2.60d.dmg 2007-07-15 13:52 2.8M

http://wolf.dev9.org/ET/Patches/ <-- cool link

good share maybe fix his problem is from here post #2  https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/44391-enemy-territory-mac/

ET-OSX-2.60d.dmg is the version i am using.

Also tried 2.60c from your wolf.dev link (though program executable file version info says 2.60b4 - same as on 2.60d .. confusing.. shoudlnt it say 2.60c and 2.60d? and 2.60d contents are only 7 days older than 2.60c )

-> same again: crash on silent 0.9.0 and etPro

thx anyway!

could somebody post screenshots of relevant mac installation folders?

/Applications/Wolfenstein ET/  

/Applications/Wolfenstein ET/etmain

/User/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etmain

/User/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/silent

/User/Library/Application Support/Wolfenstein ET/etpro

This is what the readme file says in the ET-OSX 2.60d exe

ET OSX universal binary 2.60d
=============================

Install:
Replace your Wolfenstein ET executable by the new one, and drop the new qagame_mac into your etmain/ folder
You have a qagame_mac.bundle under etmain/ from the 2.60c installation, which you can remove <--

Fixes:
- cursor problem when changing bindings in the control menu
- now defaults to 24 Z-buffer, fixes Z-fighting problems
- fix listen server crashing at the end of warmup and related crashes

So instead of it being called cgame_mp or my_cgame it is called qagame_mac

just make sure the files in etmain that have _mac~ match the ones in the mod folders

Anything other then that is bad cvars do a cvar_restart before connecting to the server if you have a custom config run it after you connect.

It looks to me like there's some PK3 files missing.
I don't think this is a cvar related issue, since I see no cvar related entries in your crash log, such as "unsafe value".

I have a few hunches as to the problem, but I don't want to post them until I'm reasonably sure.

I'm going to fire up my old mac and try to replicate your problem. I'll report back soon, hang in there!

Also. could you post the output of "About This Mac" from your Apple menu? That would come in handy. Thanks :)

Still can be a cvar issue even if it doesn't post warnings cause anything related to Ui not opening is effected by resolution being the wrong size or a bug in the api for the Ui not to open.

Incorrect install of the files and write protection will also keep a UI from opening. If it plays on everything but Pro and Silent then it's related to how it's configured in the files either with the binaries in the mod folder or the configs.

Even ETL has issues with full screen on windows 10 you have to run it in Window Mode for it to run r_mode -1 for me that is.

And I have seen ET bugg out and not execute config's and run it's own course and you would have no choice but to cvar_restart;exec etconfig.cfg;vid_restart it is normal not to have warnings and the UI crashes. Also my config is full of unsafe settings but it still opens.

Well I tried, not a Mac user but I know ET well enough to say what is causing it.

So instead of it being called cgame_mp or my_cgame it is called qagame_mac

just make sure the files in etmain that have _mac~ match the ones in the mod folders

Anything other then that is bad cvars do a cvar_restart before connecting to the server if you have a custom config run it after you connect.

Thx for the infos. That explains why 2.60d is so similar to 2.60c.

I have that qagame_mac file in Applications/Wolfenstein ET/etmain folder but not in the mod folders. (see screenshot of my silent mod folder in my last post) i copied qagame_mac to the mod folders but it didnt solve the problem.

I also tried deleting Application Support/Wolfenstein ET folder which contains all mod folders , and fresh installation and changed to windowed mode, then connected to F|A Hardcore server but it still crashed :(

- also tried same thing and then did cvar_restart , exec etconfig.cfg, vid_restart but still crash on connect. same on + r_fullscreen 0 vid_restart  :( and also crash if i set r_allowExtensions 0 after that.

i doubt there are pk3 files missing since the last download always is the map isnt it? and i get until there. it downloads the mod and then crashes during map download but if i already got the mod files and the map and it crashes just like that.

@Xernicus: Great you gonna check out your old mac :thumbsup

@schNee: thx for the hint! i will check that if there is no other way around.

:exclaim

Using VM or other visualization software is always a pain in the ass - they are great for network purposes. You should consider using playonmac. as schnee suggested. Similar what peeps from ubuntu did with playondeb. Usually solves a lot of issues since install all missing dependencies/files.