HP laptops covertly log users keystrokes - Convexant Audio Driver - Keylogging

coRuPT

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/05/hp-laptops-covert-log-every-keystroke-researchers-warn/

Insane! Interesting Read! HP nor Convexant have issued a statement about this yet!!

I checked one of my laptops I have and it had the version it speaks of (10.0.0.31). I checked and there was also the MicTray.log in Users > Public. It was 0kb, so it wasn't directly writing to the log file.
BUT, I did further research... I then downloaded DebugView from Microsoft's website. I could then open the log file with the DebugView and was able to see every single keystroke I made. 

I then checked Task Scheduler. It was then executing at startup / user log on. 

I then manually updated the audio driver and the log file disappeared, it's no longer available.

I´ve found that it´s a good idea to go through: Computer Management-> Task Scheduler and kill everything that doesn´t have to do with system. Crossreferencing task descriptions with google descriptions will shed some light on things.

Even when not as nasty tasks don´t run in background, I´ve still discovered processes firering up just in time I need stable connection for my gaming session.

I worked for HP.

It's a criminal enterprise that is imploding under its own weight.

They've split themselves in 2 and sold off the field services/ engineering side to CSC and the new company became DXC.  The other side is just printers and break/fix.  Good luck with that.  The cost of printers is at the point where it's almost cheaper to replace the entire printer when it runs out of ink than to replace the ink cartridge.  Let that sink in for a moment.

As far as putting spyware on their stuff...yeah they did it.  Now they got caught.  What did they do with the data they collected?

I worked for HP.

It's a criminal enterprise that is imploding under its own weight.

They've split themselves in 2 and sold off the field services/ engineering side to CSC and the new company became DXC.  The other side is just printers and break/fix.  Good luck with that.  The cost of printers is at the point where it's almost cheaper to replace the entire printer when it runs out of ink than to replace the ink cartridge.  Let that sink in for a moment.

As far as putting spyware on their stuff...yeah they did it.  Now they got caught.  What did they do with the data they collected?

Is that a rhetorical question on what they did with the data?

If it isn't, I personally don't know. I'm still investigating the issue and it's been addressed to HP. It was actually on about 90% of our computers at work which I found out.... ~1000 people.

HP Has some serious explaining to do.

Yes they do have some explaining.

They're on life support as a company and if this is a last gasp to make some kind of business model based off of customer data...they need to be shut down.