Windows 10 OneDrive is finally getting the feature you want

sincity

Over at Build 2017, Microsoft has revealed that the next major update for Windows 10 will see the introduction of a new (and much-requested) capability: OneDrive Files On-Demand.

With the new system, files which are stored in OneDrive will appear seamlessly within the folders on your PC (i.e. in File Explorer), and you’ll be able to click and open them just as if they were files which are stored locally on the hard disk (or SSD).

But of course, they won’t take up any storage space on the drive, because they’ll be stored in the cloud on OneDrive – which will be a major boon for those with ultra-thin laptops that only have small SSDs.

Files will be given new status icons which show at a glance whether they are stored locally (green tick icon), or if they’re in OneDrive (cloud icon). If all this rings a bell, that’s because it’s essentially the same system of OneDrive placeholders seen in Windows 8, which many folks have been clamoring for the return of in Windows 10.

Obviously, when you’re offline with your device, you won’t be able to open files in OneDrive – but you can always select critical files which are online with a right click, and specify ‘Always keep on this device’ to download them to the local disk. That way, they’ll be present when you’re offline.

It’s also worth noting that Files On-Demand will let you open files in OneDrive from within desktop or universal apps. Furthermore, the system will work across personal and business OneDrive accounts, along with SharePoint Online team sites.

OneDrive Files On-Demand will come to preview versions of Windows 10 in the early summer for testing, and will become fully available with the release of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

PdED9eAS3psmhSAtxCbgWK.jpg

Phone powers

Microsoft has a couple of extra OneDrive tricks up its sleeve, too, aimed at mobile users. OneDrive Offline Folders lets you save entire folders to your mobile device in order to open them when offline.

Any changes other users make to these files while you’re offline will be automatically synced when your device is back on the internet.

This feature is actually available now on Android smartphones for those who have an Office 365 Personal or Home subscription, and for OneDrive business accounts. It’ll arrive on iOS in the next few months, Microsoft promises.

The second extra is actually for iOS folks: OneDrive for iMessage allows users to easily share documents or images during an iMessage conversation. It’s possible to share single files or entire folders, and conversation participants will be able to instantly preview documents and photos which are shared with them. This feature is live right now.

jhN4SKvr0As

• Leader

Translation plugin for PowerPoint

You will now be able to translate your PowerPoint presentations in real time using this new translation tool. You will also be able to add subtitles below your presentations. Content can be translated in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. One of the key features of this plugin is that it doesn’t change the original formatting of the text while translating.

OneDrive is getting the feature you want- deletes all files from your OneDrive that exceeds 5GB, really great feature.

Bought a MS phone without the ability to add a SD card with promise I could use OneDrive and now they start deleting my gathered pics.

I wonder who even cares about onedrive after such tricks, sure as hell I don´t anymore.

• Leader

OneDrive is getting the feature you want- deletes all files from your OneDrive that exceeds 5GB, really great feature.

Bought a MS phone without the ability to add a SD card with promise I could use OneDrive and now they start deleting my gathered pics.

I wonder who even cares about onedrive after such tricks, sure as hell I don´t anymore.

The program(s) gave you no warning?  

I wouldn't consider any of these "drives" as a backup device, but as more of a temporary storage.

Wait a minute!  What do I have on Google Drive?  I will have to check!

The program(s) gave you no warning?  

I wouldn't consider any of these "drives" as a backup device, but as more of a temporary storage.

Wait a minute!  What do I have on Google Drive?  I will have to check!

T3h t3ch gurus are chanting that HDD(SDD) are dead and only way to backup things IS cloud. Go figure.

I have most important things on 3 drives(2in pc+1out) but all in same room. Cloud is a good way to lower the risks in  case of emergency(like fire etc), well at least it seemed that way.

But yeah googledrive on chrome seems to be better option, as when logged in to youtube theres no more hassle with MS Store(stopped working, not gonna mess up my system for 1-2 unnessesary apps) and then theres another app  within app etc...

• Platinum VIP

Cloud storage, for me is only temporary for files I know I'll need when I'm not home in front of my computer. Google Drive, for me, works way better than One Drive since Goggle Drive is seamlessly integrated with any and every device I have