Firefox 64-bit stability vs 32-bit.

Hey guys,

I've been test driving a 64-bit release of Firefox for awhile now, I wanted to have a discussion about the stability of the 64-bit release vs the 32-bit one.

For the most part, things have been smooth... I don't use that many extensions, but those I did in the past work flawlessly. Of course, Windows allocates more memory (probably around 1.5-2x as much) compared to the 32-bit version, but that's to be expected and I can't complain as I don't have a shortage of RAM.

However, I do have complaints about the stability of the 64-bit version. I've been using Firefox for... sheesh, at least ten years and the only time I've had issues like this was back when version 3.x was released along with the horrible plugin-manager that ate up memory (due to a leak) like a beast. I signed up for the beta of 4.0 as soon as I could, and things have been good since then. Well, until now.

Now I might have some unreasonable expectations, so here's a glimpse of my web-browsing:

-Lately about 30 tabs open constantly

-Close to 100 tabs constantly when I'm working on a project

-A Firefox session usually lasts as long as my computer uptime, which can be between 7-14 days.

-Average Youtube tabs: 5, Netflix tabs: 1, Pandora: 1.
-I use Adblock Plus, with only a few sites whitelisted (like our forums).

Now with this usage in the past, pages would still load snappy, videos would playback with no problem, and I could expect around 1.6-2gigs of RAM usage at the end of the week.

Right now with 17 tabs open, Firefox is using 1.2gb of RAM which isn't a problem... but it's performing like it's hit a RAM ceiling. Videos buffering for awhile, pages not loading properly (usually a refresh will fix it), and sluggish general performance.

Anyyyywayyys... TL;DR: IMO The 64-bit version of Firefox performs worse than the 32-bit version despite Windows allocating more resources.
I'm curious whether any Firefox users here have noticed a difference in performance between the 32-bit and 64-bit releases.

I know, I should probably just restart the browser more often... but it's sad IMO going from 14-days of stable uptime to restarting Firefox every day.
Plus, more often than not I have information in forms that are partially filled-out, so I can't close the browser without losing that work.

I'll probably be switching back to the default mainstream 32-bit release, but I am curious what others have to say before posting a bugzilla report.

Yeah FF started to work weird from FF52 version on windows, 53 works better. I´ve used x64 in linux for year(s) now, no problems. Also using Estonian ID card reader(authenticates bank, gives valid signature- as valid as hand written under documents) app and ppl have problems under win, I´m happy under linux.

In conclusion, maybe try it under linux;)

PS not having so many tabs open, so can´t compare apple to apples.

@ Coffee Geek do you use the auto unload tab addon? wonder if it still works in later releases.

Btw i notice there is a difference between certain Windows versions.

Win10 and 2008 create memory hogs using Firefox while 2012 seems to be doing a better job.

I concur. I'm a loyal Firefox user but have to admit since late 2016 it has become seriously unreliable.

Edited by Chuckun
  • Like 1

i'm also a really longtime firefox user but using v53 32bit on win7 64bit. i have no idea about performance of FF 64bit. should i install it?

lately it has page stutter and lag with more than a few tabs open. firefox is still my main browser but i'm starting to fire up chrome more

I'll have to get the 64 bit version and start testing things out... I have some JS heavy sites that can bog down a browser for sure.

lately it has page stutter and lag with more than a few tabs open. firefox is still my main browser but i'm starting to fire up chrome more

I find Opera to be a surprisingly good alternative to chrome and firefox (and is currently being improved ready for a new version). I had Firefox+Opera as the two browsers installed - Opera vastly better at handling lots of tabs and being stable than chrome, at least for me.

• Like 1

Speaking of Opera, look at the Vivaldi browser made by the top Opera Dev? It looks smart. Just haven't had a chance to use it.

• 1 month later...

I see you use adblock plus.

Well, there's a difference between blocking and denying the ad etc.

for me its utilizing the host file.

https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/87730-host-file-block-bad-urls/

Using the host file blocks on all apps/platforms.

Use the Force. I uploaded my host file 4 all to use and block out these ads!

As to performance with firefox, I can tell you that keeping your PC clean will

help your browsing experience tremendously. I run 32 bit but Im happy w my performance,

and id essentially ad free.

;)