Secondary HDD not working after Windows Update(NEED HELP)

My Secondary HDD(SlaveDrive) isn't working after the new Win10 update. I've been putting this update off for months because whenever it

updates this happens. The drive shows up in Device manager, and it says the drivers are up to date and working, along with my SATA AHCI

Controller. The Drive shows up in Disk Management, but it doesn't see any of the data on it, and the only option it gives me is "Delete volume". It

also doesn't show up in File Explorer. I checked the SATA Data/Power cables and they are fine. It shows up in the BIOS also. Help???

HDD.png

yes, update for w10 (1607). Use MiniTool partition free wizard, fixes it in about 5 minutes:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/how-can-i-recover-my-data-from-an-unallocated-hard-disk.html

and never update anything if it is working

also can go to recovery and "Go Back To An Earlier Build".

• Like 1

yes, update for w10 (1607). Use MiniTool partition free wizard, fixes it in about 5 minutes:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/how-can-i-recover-my-data-from-an-unallocated-hard-disk.html

Tried using the free wizard, and it won't complete the fixes unless you purchase it. This wouldn't be a problem but the page to buy it is broken. <_>

First of all, what update is this? Please type winver into your start menu and post the output.
For example, "Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066)"

Sorry, but MiniTool is shit.
You're not the first to experience issues with the Creators? Update. Could you provide motherboard/chipset information please? Also please provide the manufacturer and model of the HDD if possible. This way I can check for updated drivers, and check Technet and MCP forums for known issues.

I am assuming you do not have your drives in a RAID (mirrored/striped) configuration.

This disk being a "slave" drive confuses me though. There is no "slave" setting for SATA, that is old IDE tech. I am assuming you mean this is disk D:\ (aka a secondary drive).
Having only the option to "Delete the volume" is worrying, normally you see at least "Format", and for a Windows disk, "Change drive letter"

First things first, I would use EaseUS Partition Master (Free Edition) to see if a software fix is possible. This is fully functional freeware. I have used this for nearly seven years, and it succeeds when MiniTool fails.

First, use "Check Partition", and have everything selected except for Surface Test. After this finishes, use the "Change Drive Letter" function to try to remount the volume.
post-9897-0-96327300-1493884100_thumb.jpg

If this does not succeed, I would suggest using an Earlier Build as Patrick has suggested. I have not heard of HD problems with the Creators Update, but I had graphics issues. The Anniversary update did indeed have issues with HD's. But, to keep things simple I will talk about that later if you are indeed using it.

• Like 2

The ~1TB partition doesn´t have letter(name) assigned to it?

Do you have some place to back up most important files?

Some Linux based LiveCD(USB) could give you access to the disk for backup purposes.

The ~1TB partition doesn´t have letter(name) assigned to it?

It does indeed. In EaseUS Partition Master, the letter/name is before the volume name. (aka D:Backup) or in Linux, /dev/hda/(Backup), for example)

You make a good point though, Linux based systems are critical in retrieving files that Windows cannot. There are a few issues with this assumption though:

-They have knowledge of GParted/KDE Partition Manager/FDisk/testdisk

-They have a secondary USB/Fibre/etc backup disk to copy the files to

The problem that Bow is having is unlikely due to a Filesystem error, but rather a Windows registry error based on my experience.

Edited by Xernicus

I ended up finding a link to a minitool utility that actually worked without having a paywall built into it. It recovered the missing data, and everything is back to normal. Thanks!

• Like 2