Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

I have access to all the models I need. I feel that I can finally start to make a decent map.  There's just one problem. I don't know how to really texture or shade my models. When I texture them in GTK Radiant they are all just one color and it's flat looking, dull. You can't see any detail. I'd really appreciate it if some one could explain to me how to give models depth, make them look like they have shadows and so on... I am a newbee and I really don't know how to do it. 

Thanks in advance. I'd really appreciate this, better still it would be terrific if some one could post a video how to do this, but I'm not asking for that much. I just imagine that beginners struggle with this. 

Also, my GTK Radiant install doesn't seem to be showing shaders...??

I'd really appreciate help on this. Perhaps I'll take a short video showing my install. 

• Like 2

I see doubledragon is reading this topic. Answers incoming!

Make something sweet man! Mapping is a lot of fun once you get all the basics out of the way.

• Like 2

Images have to be to the power of 2 like for instance 256x256 or 512x512

Next the have to be tga or jpg format

Images have 2 orders of showing in gtk 

1 is a shader file with shade description in css format this will help understand it http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/shader/ you can review default shaders in wolfet/etmain/scripts/ folder

2 the shaderlist.txt file has to have the shader file name in the text file in the scripts folder normally use the name of the map and add all to one

Now for shaders just use a default shader for example

this is from goldrush.shader on the bottom

try to explain the default can be used at any time it doesn't increase map size

textures/goldrush/sandygrass_b_phong   //---- this is the directory to the texture folder/image file
{
qer_editorimage textures/egypt_floor_sd/sandygrass_b.tga   //------- This is the target image.tga format jpg can be used to but cant use transparency with jpg
q3map_nonplanar            //------- Surface Parameter to make the face side nonplanar you will have to work on these sometimes
q3map_shadeangle 135       //------- Surface Parameter to make like cast at 135 degree angle
surfaceparm landmine       //------- Surface Parameters to make the ground use landmins 
surfaceparm grasssteps     //------- Surface Parameters to make noise while walking
implicitMap textures/egypt_floor_sd/sandygrass_b.tga   //---- This is used by GTK Radiant to make it appear in application
}

But first you will need to understand the area if you choose to make a map or you will be doing a lot of vertical angles to get terrains done

Use easy gen to make parts of maps you can almost figure it out watching a video I made a few months back it's not short or politically correct but it is accurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkgQowLQ0E

If you can master shader scripting you can master model scripting it's same thing just little bit of tweeking.

and Caulk Everything and detail everything Entites don't have to be detail they are game rendered regardless but you have to clip models 

• Like 5

There's two maps I've always wanted to make. Yoda's home on Dagobah, and Temple of Doom. I always wanted to make an ET map that started at the palace, Willies bedroom and ended pass the bridge Indiana Jones crosses. I'm amazed how many people still play ET and mod. I've always wanted to make a mine cart chase with axis and allies, so on. That's, farrr ahead. For starters I just want to make a map that looks like the palace, create the Kalimar statue and props, etc.  

I was tempted to make this for Jedi Academy because I thought it would be easier.:D  I'm already working on models.  If I ever figure out the basics, it could be alot of fun.  I'd love to see this come to fruition but I barely know where to start. I got a fresh copy of ET,  2.60b, I think, and I have GTKradiant, the latest version I think. 

I'm already a little confused because there's two etmains. I have a lot to learn, this is sort of like a dream I've had for like 10 years now :D 

Thank you for the quick replies. I'll try to do you all justice. I'm still trying to learn how to properly import models. Do models need individual scripts, individual shader files?  I'm trying to start with Willie's room. There won't be very much terrain until the very end of the map... if I ever finished it, where you cross the bridge. I think I'll make it so that you can blow it up, but it'll still be climbable on the side of the mountain...

But, yeah I'm still in the first room. I've been trying to add a model, of the statue that Willie touches on the breasts to open a hidden passage. But, maybe  I should start smaller than that... 

Let your first map be something really simple.  A couple rooms, hallways, ledges, doors, etc, all the usual things.  Getting the proportions correct between mapping and game play was my first mistake.  Spent a few weeks on GTK Radiant only to load up the map and hit my head trying to go through doors, hallways to tight for any sort of battle to take place, boxes too tall to get on, walls I intended for players to drop off of only to learn you splat when you do.  Better to make a note of these things before you get too far a long.

• Like 2

Trying to upload a video how to make and import a model using a skin file and msd3 with MilkShape 3D 1.8.4 (local download 1) http://www.chumba.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/download.html not the demo I mean Beta lol

It will take a while to upload but it'll be here soon

Yes you will splat if the fall is high and has no textures/common/cushion brush to land on works well for tj maps sometimes used in falling spots 

Sometimes making a simple map is more complex it can be very time consuming as this will take forever to explain one model lol

There are shortcuts but will take you a long time to build work arounds and prefabs for importing. Do suggest starting small like GoldRush it's not very big it's from 0 to x3072 y3072 z3072 this is square

Here's some reading

GTK Shortcut Keys

https://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documentation/q3radiant_manual/appndx/sskey_dl.htm

Milkshape 3d Shortcut Keys doesn't say use shift and mouse one to drag in and out the bottom right corner is free movement with mouse one rest are x y z views

http://members.tripod.com/man_o_mule/old/older/tutorials/shortcuts.html

Beginners Tutorial yep call it as it is lol

http://www.pythononline.co.uk/et/tutorial.htm

easy gen wont find many tutorials to use this but the video should explain well enough. 

http://www.webalice.it/bancala/files_easygen.htm

Use this as guide to measure up players to models and everything else

http://games.chruker.dk/enemy_territory/measurements.php

I would do more but sleep is upon me will upload the video in 1hr maybe depends on if youtube rejects it for being to big.

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

Each version of GTK has it own unique traits some have good plugins, old ones have good compilers. You will find each version has bugs and each has flaws.

Not quite sure what you mean but really doubt you will find old timers on there that were around before ET came out.

• Like 1

Each version of GTK has it own unique traits some have good plugins, old ones have good compilers. You will find each version has bugs and each has flaws.

Not quite sure what you mean but really doubt you will find old timers on there that were around before ET came out.

Wow, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I've been learning alot in a short time, and pulling out hairs when I'm not learning anything new. I didn't even get to sleep last night until 4 AM.  I'm modeling my first important model of room one. I need a modeling program that I can use to round a mesh, flatten it, expand it, manipulate it, etc.  I've just begun modeling, I am definitely a beginner. But, just like you said, looking at other configs and files, downloading models and installing them into GTK radiant to see them in game play really helps. 

I will definitely watch your videos, thank you.

If you use milkshape 3d just reinstall the application when the trial expires.

Depending on what operating system and 64 or 32 bit your running this on will decide on which application you wont have problems running.

Player Model is a skeleton plugin very time consuming to learn .

Blender with import.py would require old software like 3D Studio Max 6 which you wont find a clean copy of again because it is discontinued this is referring to player model only the rest of the models can be used in applications like milkshape 3d

Go to my site there's a couple links I saved in the tabs should see model editing some useful don't like a lot of links cause to much confusion to remember http://www.doubledragon.webs.com/

• Like 2

https://www.mixamo.com/store/#/account/software

This is a great source available to newbe mappers, modelers. It rigs models for you in 3D S Max, any one else have this problem? I rigged the model, got it where I wanted it...but when I export it, the hands freak out... It's like big long spikes coming out of the palms of her hands... and I don't know what's causing it. Everything else looks fine, aside form needing to be smoothed. 

Access is denied to check this software not sure what it is just shows a blank page.

https://www.mixamo.com/store/#/account/software

This is a great source available to newbe mappers, modelers. It rigs models for you in 3D S Max, any one else have this problem? I rigged the model, got it where I wanted it...but when I export it, the hands freak out... It's like big long spikes coming out of the palms of her hands... and I don't know what's causing it. Everything else looks fine, aside form needing to be smoothed. 

The best way to make maps is what makes you feel comfortable going different routes to build models is okay there are many different ways but it comes down to importing .md3 just be sure to use misc_gamemodel for it wont count towards entities list.

The big long spikes is vertical angles made when the tri angles aren't correct you will see this happen if it is built with face sides touching or stretched beyond the lod form from using a model editing tool. Best to import the .md3 to Milkshape 3d and look there milkshape will show the angles correctly. Also this can be related to the splines being over lapped the little snippet dots that you can move around on the models to change shapes if two vertices cross paths on faces they will stretch.

• Like 1