Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

You can find it here some one already made a mirror pre-fab http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=1761

There are some ways to use portal in shader script 

textures/nsmirror/mirrortut
{
	qer_editorimage textures/nsmirror/mirrortut.tga
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	portal  //<------------

{
		map textures/nsmirror/mirrortut.tga
		blendfunc GL_ONE GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
		depthWrite
	}

}

6.8 depthWrite

By default, writes to the depth buffer when depthFunc passes will happen for opaque surfaces and not for translucent surfaces. Blended surfaces can have the depth writes forced with this function.

Do note you can't put 2 faces to face at each other. It wont reflect it self.

To do this just use whats in the texture folder and the script to make the mirror. Fallow the script above or copy it to the shader file your using and go to the image file for the mirror put it where you need and change the path in the script. The image is blank encase your wondering.

Water is basically the same thing just surface parm see below

textures/pazur/mirror_water_surface
{
	qer_editorimage textures/liquids/pool3d_3.tga
	qer_trans .5
	surfaceparm trans
	portal
	surfaceparm nonsolid
	{
		map textures/pazur/mirror1.tga
		depthWrite
	}
		{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_5c.tga
		blendFunc GL_dst_color GL_one
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .5 .5
		tcmod transform 1.5 0 1.5 1 1 2
		tcmod scroll -.05 .001
	}
	{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_6c.tga
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .25 .25
		tcmod transform 0 1.5 1 1.5 2 1
		tcmod scroll .025 -.001
	}
	{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_3c.tga
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .125 .25
		tcmod scroll .001 .025
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendFunc GL_dst_color GL_zero
		rgbgen identity
	}
}

textures/pazur/just_water
{
	qer_editorimage textures/pazur/mirror1.tga
	qer_trans .5
	q3map_globaltexture
	surfaceparm trans
	surfaceparm nonsolid
	surfaceparm water
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	{
		map textures/natter/mirror1.tga
	}
}

textures/pazur/fence
{
	qer_editorimage textures/alpha/fence_c06.tga
    cull twosided
	surfaceparm trans
	//nomipmaps
    {
		map textures/alpha/fence_c06.tga
		rgbGen identity
		depthWrite
		alphaFunc GE128
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendfunc filter
		rgbGen identity
		tcGen lightmap
		depthFunc equal
	}
}

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/files/file/682-shader_reflection-water/

There's more just haven't spent a lot of time remembering them

• Like 1

You can find it here some one already made a mirror pre-fab http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=1761

There are some ways to use portal in shader script 

textures/nsmirror/mirrortut
{
	qer_editorimage textures/nsmirror/mirrortut.tga
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	portal  //<------------

{
		map textures/nsmirror/mirrortut.tga
		depthWrite
	}

}

6.8 depthWrite

By default, writes to the depth buffer when depthFunc passes will happen for opaque surfaces and not for translucent surfaces. Blended surfaces can have the depth writes forced with this function.

Do note you can't put 2 faces to face at each other. It wont reflect it self.

To do this just use whats in the texture folder and the script to make the mirror. Fallow the script above or copy it to the shader file your using and go to the image file for the mirror put it where you need and change the path in the script. The image is blank encase your wondering.

Water is basically the same thing just surface parm see below

textures/pazur/mirror_water_surface
{
	qer_editorimage textures/liquids/pool3d_3.tga
	qer_trans .5
	surfaceparm trans
	portal
	surfaceparm nonsolid
	{
		map textures/pazur/mirror1.tga
		depthWrite
	}
		{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_5c.tga
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .5 .5
		tcmod transform 1.5 0 1.5 1 1 2
		tcmod scroll -.05 .001
	}
	{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_6c.tga
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .25 .25
		tcmod transform 0 1.5 1 1.5 2 1
		tcmod scroll .025 -.001
	}
	{
		map textures/liquids/pool3d_3c.tga
		rgbgen identity
		tcmod scale .125 .25
		tcmod scroll .001 .025
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendFunc GL_dst_color GL_zero
		rgbgen identity
	}
}

textures/pazur/just_water
{
	qer_editorimage textures/pazur/mirror1.tga
	qer_trans .5
	q3map_globaltexture
	surfaceparm trans
	surfaceparm nonsolid
	surfaceparm water
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	{
		map textures/natter/mirror1.tga
	}
}

textures/pazur/fence
{
	qer_editorimage textures/alpha/fence_c06.tga
    cull twosided
	surfaceparm trans
	//nomipmaps
    {
		map textures/alpha/fence_c06.tga
		rgbGen identity
		depthWrite
		alphaFunc GE128
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendfunc filter
		rgbGen identity
		tcGen lightmap
		depthFunc equal
	}
}

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/files/file/682-shader_reflection-water/

There's more just haven't spent a lot of time remembering them

The room has two mirrors. But I might only focus on the one. 

I think I'm getting ready for a skybox maybe. 

The curtain textures, will probably be textures that I find of curtains in the future. The details of this room haven't been worked out yet. I'm just getting through the basics. I'll have to go back and use change various textures. Right now I'm modeling curtain textures onto cylinders in radiant. But, it might look better just to use actual curtains with transparent backgrounds.

I think I'll add a skybox soon. This room has alot of work to be done, but I'm getting to a point where it's details. The details go along way, and there's alot involved with them, but the room itself is getting close. 

I'll look into how to do a skybox, as I don't really know yet.

post-20995-0-33863900-1494864327_thumb.jpg

Edited by laggermcjagger

You can do several things with a sky box. One good way is to use a single image as large as radiant will allow to minimize the light count to reduce the overall compile time. That would be by making your own script and own image. Normally I would surf for a seamless sky shader.

Or you can make the more complicated version which some art work will be required if you do this but something else to look into you can find it here. Simplest way to put it I guess. 

https://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documentation/q3radiant_manual/appndx/appn_d.htm

up down left right forward backwards should see it on the bottom of the page

They look something like these but each one is a single image per-side when you make it and just give the one texture a image name to use in radiant cause in radiant it will say shader is missing but it's not.

[skyname]_lf.tga 
[skyname]_rt.tga 
[skyname]_ft.tga 
[skyname]_bk.tga 
[skyname]_up.tga 
[skyname]_dn.tga

By default it will pull skyname as the over all image so name in the script just skyname to use in radiant.

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nolightmap
    surfaceparm sky                                                           
    q3map_sun 0.933333 0.541176 03.13725 60 160 11  // this is the color
    q3map_surfacelight 100 //lots of diffuse light               // this is the amount of light to emit 
    skyparms - 512 -                                                          // think this is the dimensions of the light spectrum to cast from forgot sorry
    sky env/[skyname]                                                       // use in the parameters of the script to pull it change the name to fit the shader script for image

Find more similar images using google to search for skybox shader typically the ones that look like a t

https://www.google.com/search?q=skybox+shader&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS739US739&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji5aO20fLTAhVCLyYKHc0HCIUQ_AUICigB&biw=1360&bih=700#q=skybox+shader&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CXzPBRBxRSCkIjic9I770Y0qo8cvXeLdOA5-Rf8vnwVLFErmQztLphqQYyt1SNObr912PQMHEvk778PTBj6NRqYVDioSCZz0jvvRjSqjEZmdAGbaGbs8KhIJxy9d4t04Dn4RIu2Q_16bKCmgqEglF_1y-fBUsUShEXbBK3q-o0uCoSCeZDO0umGpBjEXvzVpv_1IgyGKhIJK3VI05uv3XYRHJLef96bWF0qEgk9AwcS-TvvwxFopqXbV_1pYjyoSCdMGPo1GphUOEWQY1eNS4VvQ

• Like 1

Hope you feel better. Man, all these old pages that I go to try to figure things out on my own are loaded with malaware, viruses.... 

It's a nightmare I have to scan my computer daily because these sites are loaded with malware. I don't know why, it's like over kill. All these old pages...

It's like some ass hole found all the old web pages of the world and infected them with computer viruses. 

I can't have the pleasure of finding an old web page without running into malaware. 

Given that, is it possible to add music to a room? How do I go about that? 

Or how about sound, I just feel like the map could start to need some sound. Thanks. 

Edited by laggermcjagger

Yes feel better today hopefully no more spicy foods..

I don't know about the maleware where your getting them tho I use adblock plus for chrome and firefox to stop ads and I use Malwarebytes Chameleon https://www.malwarebytes.com/chameleon/ sometimes to maintance. Most of the time I have no new installers cause I have what I need and block everything else using UVK = Ultra Virus Killer to turn off the services I dont use http://www.carifred.com/uvk/. Thats done by using the System Immunize and checking all the boxes but Internet Settings. If you use this you will have to disable this immunize every time you do a install or uninstall.

For sound there is a couple ways to do this. One would be to do it in radiant by adding a sound entity and setting it up with or with out a script. The other way is to do it while your on the game on Devmap. All sounds are in .wav format using 22ghz 16 bit  mono you can record sounds with Audacity http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/audacity.html

When in Radiant right click on the grid and use target_speaker and you give it a key = noise then add a sound file dirctory the main directory is etmain so if you sound is in a pk3 you just put the path according the that like sound/some/file.wav you will have to create a new folder called sound then put the wav file in there or in a new folder in the sound file. Not to bad to do easier then scripting.

Note from here https://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documentation/q3radiant_manual/appndx/appn_b_7.htm

target_speaker

Map Entity Color: bright green 
Dimensions: (-8 -8 -8) (8 8 8) 
Game Function: Sound generating entity that plays .wav files. Normal non-looping sounds play each time the target_speaker is triggered. 
Looping sounds can be set to play by themselves (no activating trigger) or be toggled on/off by a trigger.
Keys 
noise: path/name of .wav file to play (eg. sound/world/growl1.wav - see Notes). 
wait: delay in seconds between each time the sound is played ("random" key must be set - see Notes). 
Random: random time variance in seconds added or subtracted from "wait" delay ("wait" key must be set - see Notes). 
targetname: the activating button or trigger points to this. 
notfree: when set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Free for all" and "Tournament" modes. 
notteam: when set to 1, entity will not spawn in "Teamplay" and "CTF" modes. 
notsingle: when set to 1, entity will not spawn in Single Player mode (bot play mode).

Check Boxes/Spawnflags 
LOOPED_ON: sound will loop and initially start on in level (will toggle on/off when triggered). 
LOOPED_OFF: sound will loop and initially start off in level (will toggle on/off when triggered). 
GLOBAL: sound will play full volume throughout the level. 
ACTIVATOR: sound will play only for the player that activated the target.

Notes

The path portion value of the "noise" key can be replaced by the implicit folder character "*" for triggered sounds that belong to a particular player model. 
For example, if you want to create a "bottomless pit" in which the player screams and dies when he falls into, you would place a trigger_multiple over the floor 
of the pit and target a target_speaker with it. Then, you would set the "noise" key to "*falling1.wav". The * character means the current player model's 
sound folder. So if your current player model is Visor, * = sound/player/visor, if your current player model is Sarge, 

* = sound/player/sarge, etc. This cool feature provides an excellent way to create "player-specific" triggered sounds in your levels.
The combination of the "wait" and "random" keys can be used to play non-looping sounds without requiring an activating trigger but both keys must be used together
. The value of the "random" key is used to calculate a minimum and a maximum delay. The final time delay will be a random value anywhere between the minimum and 
maximum values: (min delay = wait - random) (max delay = wait + random).

The other way is to do it while your in game using devmap only works in devmap

Instructions can be found in many sites I'll just give a couple.

http://www.pythononline.co.uk/et/tutorial10.htm

http://www.thewolfteam.org/wiki/speaker-editor/

If you need a more advanced sound for activators in a script use the note above with a trigger_multiple don't have time right now to explain this trigger it isn't to hard just woke up lol

• Like 1

I have a copy of the movie now, I'm taking textures directly from the film now. I figure that the white window looks fake, flat. This way I can take the actual windows, recreate them in photoshop and use them to add realism to the end result. Of course that means reconstructing images from video stills that are taking at various angles. I did the same to make an accurate reconstruction of the couch. 

At a certain point at the end of map I want to make the water tower explosive. I. Think the way the map will be set is time limits per each obj. Once one is completed you have time for another. That way I can pace the map

On the second to last, will be the mine car escape. Near the end of that timed obj I'll allow axis to blow the tower. It will flood the mine, but allies will have time to out race it. I wanted to do it differently than Oasis, instead an animated texture of water that pushes everything out of its way...and behind it water to give people the illusion of being consumed by rushing water. Not sure if that's possible but it's a long way away

It's coming along. I've run into another sort of problem. Why does this transparent texture have a black box background? It's surrounded by a transparent black box. Any ideas why? I'll try to figure it out, but I'm confused why it has a black box around it. 

post-20995-0-54092800-1494992789_thumb.jpg

I may have exaggerated the black as being transparent may have meant for something else. Clearly my mistake if your using the script correctly.

If you open pk0.pk3 and look in textures/alpha/ and look at barbwire.tga it's not black. Hmm I may have meant as in a script naming black as being the alpha channel.

Something old may have mistaken the process in my mind clearly try with out the black do it with transparent. I'll have to figure out why I said that sorry .

textures/alpha/barb_wire_clip
{
qer_editorimage textures/alpha/barb_wire.tga
cull disable
nomipmaps
nopicmip
surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm alphashadow
surfaceparm metalsteps
surfaceparm nonsolid
surfaceparm playerclip
surfaceparm pointlight
surfaceparm trans
implicitMask textures/alpha/barb_wire.tga
}

may need to rest more just guessing lol
Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 2

Worked beautifully. That texture I added that changes by POV, the lamp... it's strange. Some times when I BSP it, it works, some times it doesn't, I don't change anything. It gets all twisted and deformed some times, and at other times it looks perfectly normal after BSP without any changes.

Can I make a texture that appears and disappears every so often. I want to add Easter Eggs to my map. I'm a big fan of old school adventure games by Lucas Arts so I wanted to add a few Easter eggs. I have an animated texture script already. So I'll just sort of look to that, copy and paste it as my own. It's just that I want breaks between the animation I don't want to see it every moment. Can there be too many scripts in a map or can I go crazy?

Edited by laggermcjagger

reading all this i really have grown to like double dragon .. was nice reading all this ... an laggr mc jay 2 has  bad withdrawls with u not being there!!!! cant wait too test ur map ..when ur done id like to test it if possible!

• Like 2

I really appreciate all DD does and I've grown to  really appreciate him too, he's a hell of a guy for newbee mappers I think this just fills a void in my life, and so I sort of obsess over it. I'm definitely going to do a special thanks to DD in the map credits. I'll be open to testers. Yes :D  I'm going to have Easter eggs, and other little details that I hope people pick up on, if not, it will be fun and special for myself.  LOL, I really soak up all of his help like a sponge. I hope I'm not trying his patience. I would be ok if he took time off, it's just that I work on this daily due to unemployment and I'm taken by it. I really enjoy it. I want to make more maps when I'm finished, though I should find a job first... I feel like I've already learned alot which allows me to get alot of work done on it, but there's so much I want to do with it. DD makes it possible. As far as I'm aware he already knows most of my plans.

But, I want to make a horizonal oasis flooding tunnel that forcefully pushes anything in it's path and kills it. 

I want to add items in the map that buy allies extra time, that way if they are getting owned, they can add a few more minutes to complete an obj. 

I want to add easter eggs.

I want to add a texture that appears when only some one enters it's space, there's a scene in the movie where bugs are crawling on people. I don't know if it's possible but I'd like to add a texture that only appears when people are in that space. 

I need to add a crush room. Takeable objs, mine cart rides...(already explained) 

As far as scripting goes, stuff I'll probably need help with, I think that covers it. The rest is just details, I think...

Edited by laggermcjagger