Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

Well, it looks better this way anyways...  :D  I'm still not ubber comfortable with mapping. There's a few objects in the room, that I might just ignore all together, there are two mirrors. 4 statues, ( all similar, I'll just use the same one... :D)  The statue is the most intriguing part of the map for me.  It's my first day on the job tomorrow. I hope I don't mess it up. Not exactly done with the door, but it's reasonably close. 

I haven't made anything structural or detail yet. 

post-20995-0-76707900-1493942535_thumb.png

Edited by laggermcjagger

It's my first map, first room. After this, I want to avoid as many curves as possible. It's annoying to map with curves. I rather just stick to terrain, boxes, easily aligned angles. 
These curves are a nightmare.  I'm sure I could be doing some things better, making my life easier. But the way I did it was multiple patches and boy was it ever a pain to get everything to line up. When I finish this room I think I'll add a skybox. 

Some of these textures are place holder textures.  The ugly green isn't staying. IT's only there because it's been hard to create the illusion of a wrap around mural so far. I haven't created a proper texture for the map yet. I have to create individual art works, with the same color compositions all around the room. Today is my first day of work so I  might not make as much progress on this as I have been daily.  I'm considering making the window a texture with clipped edges instead, mostly because texturing a room that wraps around in one single mural is a real pain... and it's not easy to texture for a newbee, when there's models, curves and .... 

But, I'm learning. Thank you again DDragon.

I LOVE the shift S tool and shift I tool. There's so many awesome tools in this program. I didn't know how to fit textures properly before that. I've used "S" before. Once this room is finished...there could be scripting but maybe I'll save that for last. I need to create a statue that moves when pushed... I might be able to get away with making it a simple door.  I'll have to watch the scene again.  The crush room needs  a script. Any idea what the heck I could use a crush room for, other than to be funny, neat?

post-20995-0-11346600-1493986896_thumb.jpg

Edited by laggermcjagger

Ok, this post isn't just babble. I have an awesome low vertice model, for my statue. It'll work nicely the hard part of me is that it is an obj file with an mtl file. I don't know how to export it to md3 and have it read by GTK radiant. 

Edited by laggermcjagger

Depends on what kind of hidden room you have in mind and how to get to it but of course :)

There are many ways to get to a hidden room most common is using a teleport other ways is bounce pads or destructible walls and or push button targets never mind the point is endless idea's just how to make them is the only hold back.

Here's how to make a trigger_teleport encase you decide you would want one most common used.

make a box in radiant texture it as a trigger next right click on the grid and choose trigger_teleport then press N and key = target , then below give it a name pad1 or something close the window for entity

then right click on grid pick target_teleport then press N and key = targetname, then below give it a name pad1 or something the same as trigger_teleport

if you decide you don't want to have the trigger active you can script it to be 

visible or invisible

this would be done in the map folder in the map.script this is using a constructible objective as reference but the button idea is the same almost

You will have to get to know this eventually you will have to give the trigger_teleport a key name scriptname then add pad1 as the name this would be a ideal script. For being inactive at the start of a map you can make a destructible object make it visable by targeting the part of the script you want to execute. The idea is the same for a button on off is build final and death the target is always pad1with it's own spawn frame you can set it to trigger_once or trigger_multiple. If you play with it a bit you will start to figure it out. It's like script_mover :)

game_manager
{
setstate pad1 invisible
}

// Scriptname
pad1
{
 spawn
{
 wait 500
}
trigger setup
{
 wait 500
}
buildstart final
{
 setstate pad1 underconstruction
}
built final
{
 setstate pad1 visible 
}
decayed final
{
 setstate pad1 invisible
}
death
{
 setstate pad1 invisible
}

This script isn't in this video but can be added with a few additions of triggers and so on maybe you will figure it out after a while.

Here's a prefab.map to import if you want to play around. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8gNLkPANLuxSXhuR29qRlRsWFE

Sorry about the sound didn't think I saved the music not sure what the static is but here's a idea to work around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5ZPp0W6o0

• Like 2

I found a way to make  accurate 3D models with very low vertices. Runs in Radiant and Enemy Territory, is no more than 500 and something vertices.  This particular copy is higher vertices. But, I can optimize it, and it has no real effect due to the way it's been modeled. It will retain it's look. It's a trick... 

It is 3D and has roundness, dimension but the way I had it modeled allows for it to be optimized and it won't effect the over all look, more or less...This model will be mounted to a statue surface. It's meant flatter on the sides than it's front surface. I've found a rather clever way to get this statue into the game while conserving on vertices as much as I can. 

The issue with this, and I'll have to be patient. DD you are AMAZING. Going through all that work for me. I will try to incorporate as many of these ideas as I can, if not, some of these ideas would be great for other mapping projects. 

The issue with this, is that it has a mtl file texture, obj format. I'm not sure how to get it in game yet. 

I had a wild idea for the teleportation thing. ET can still do alot of crazy things, what a fun thing to mess around with.  I have to work in the teleportation thing now if I finish this map. Thank you so much. You're incredible. I am making fair progress on this at the moment. Obviously I have a long way to go, but I'm closer than I've ever been. 

Some times I hate how much my mind races. I am also thinking of having a changing skybox, based on what objs have been completed if possible, a change in lighting with that if possible. So the map would start in the night and end in the day. ( I know I'm taking on alot for a beginner. ) 

post-20995-0-54757000-1494080599_thumb.jpg

Edited by laggermcjagger

Anyone know what causes this. I'm alot more comfortable loading models, textures. I've had to try so many different approaches to model these statues. It's hard because Radiant doesn't take high quality models. It's hard to work with less vertices, you have to rely alot on textures. But I have a model here that I optimized and with textures and splitting I think it'll work. I had to retexture it. When I load it into radiant. It forms some strange tunnel effect...stresses the textures and inverts the object. Any idea what is going on with this? Is it the model itself or what?

I loaded the model into radiant previously without textures to see if my optimizations would work...nothing crazy happened until I textured it. This is the right texture for the model I wanted but I didn't expect or desire this crazy tunnel effect. 

It's a tunnel with two faces, facing one another when you're standing in the middle. The model itself is textures so that there are faces on both sides of the model...but, I'm not sure is causing this. I'll try to figure it  out, but it's getting early here almost 3 in th emorning now.

post-20995-0-38439000-1494138401_thumb.png

post-20995-0-01263000-1494138964_thumb.png

Edited by laggermcjagger

I have learned. Though, to create something as beautiful as this in radiant takes alot of work. Optimizing and then reconstructing the model because of how fubar it gets when you optimize it to lower vertices. But this looks beautiful in game and I'm happy I finally figured it out.  It was a lot of work to get this into the game. Then it was easy after. The texture is what really saves it. What I did was I took the actual model, and made it into a texture ontop of the model. This really helped the quality of the over all look. Rather than trying to lay textures onto various model faces. I've taken the original model itself and layed it ontop of the model as a texture. I think it looks good. I had to split this into two and rejoin it as one, because when I optimized the model, half it's face became distorted. So I took the good half and reconstituted it as one whole half. 

Because of the complexity that these statues require. I am likely to delete my window soon and instead go with a texture. These statues are by far the most exciting and challenging part of the mapping project so far.  I really enjoy retexturing models and it's easier than I thought it was. 

to newbees, like myself, I HIGHLY recommend using Misfit Model 3D as a texture remapping program. The ease and control it gives you is above and beyond anything else I've used.

For newbees, such as myself, this is my process.

I get a model file, or create one.  You want a model with low vertices count. 

I take it into 3Ds ( Student licensed version=free) 

I hit "7" and I look at the vertices. 

If it's above 400, 500...in my experience, Enemy territory won't be able to handle it.

If it's above, I go to optimize, and I optimize it. This is going to really going to change your model. It's going to dramatically change if you have a high vertices model to start with.
I don't recommend smoothing after, because smoothing just doesn't look good in my experience, I'd stick with the jagged mess you come out of it with. 

Then I save it to obj format and load it into Misfit model 3D. I go to the material menu, and load the material I want. I name it the same as the model file.  The material file in my case is always named the same.  I also save it in  ETmain/models/ mapobjects/ (mapname)/ texture.tga  Then you exist of that menu and in the bottom right hand corner is a menu with your groups  and meshes. You won't have anything applied. So you need to go down there and select the material. 

Now, it's not going to be mapped. So, you need to go to texture coordinates under materials on the tool bar.  Here you can easily remap the texture to your model. 
Save it. You'll now have an mtl file. 

Open up milk shape, change your groups to the name of the model end result if not already. 
Create a cg file... and export it to MD3 format.

I'm not sure I accurately reported on this, or if I missed anything or added extra steps. But this is how I work currently and it works very well for me. 

The real trick with working with such an old game is it's limitations, vertices, entities, you'e not going to find a smoking hot nude model and easily get into Radiant, because the program is old...the game is old. Right now I'm trying to create a female statue as there is one in the room.  It's hard to find a good model that can be optimized from say.... 70,000 vertices to 400...
It takes some doing... 

In my case I was able to delete many un-necessary faces and split the model, which helps. But then you start wracking up how many models your map has... 

This is what works for me. I might be wrong on some of this, but this what I currently believe. Look for later responses to this, in case I'm wrong. 

post-20995-0-68413700-1494176206_thumb.jpg

Edited by laggermcjagger

All Im sure about is that two faces touching will cause the faces to stretch.

Have you tried to import it to blender then back to milkshape before importing it to milkshape some times the system it self will compile a issue.

Misfit 3d was developed mainly for Unix Linux the binaries for that program will likely be old and the C# for it could be missing languages to compile at that time it stretched.

Your just going to have to keep trying eventually you'll pick up on the small details and work arounds your catching on :)

• Like 1

All Im sure about is that two faces touching will cause the faces to stretch.

Have you tried to import it to blender then back to milkshape before importing it to milkshape some times the system it self will compile a issue.

Misfit 3d was developed mainly for Unix Linux the binaries for that program will likely be old and the C# for it could be missing languages to compile at that time it stretched.

Your just going to have to keep trying eventually you'll pick up on the small details and work arounds your catching on :)

Thank you, you've really helped me. You didn't have to. You're a good teacher DD. I feel like I can do almost anything with your help. Of course, I haven't made a  script yet. I went with a different model. I didn't want to bother with it. The one I went with in place of it works much better. 

I'll keep in mind in the future. I'll install blender too.  I like good old Misfit 3D :D Maybe that's just because I'm a newbe but I really like how easy it is to retexture a model. 

It's becoming more intuitive how to re-texture models and so on. 

Thanks DD. You're awesome. I might ween off of Misfit but I'm comfortable with it at the moment.

I'm making the call, the end map will not have a 3d modeled window. I rather dedicate vertices to things that need to take vertices up. That, and I have to watch my entites right?

Also, I was wrong, you can get a hot chick into Radiant.  One of my newb lessons is becoming to not model what doesn't need to be modeled.  I hate arms, this statue has very confusing arms and it's driving me a bit nuts. I enjoyed texturing the bust. I'll enjoy texturing the rest of the statue. I've never textured a model before now.  I had to make costume textures and will from here on for the model. But damn is it hot. These titties are only like 400 vertices and they look AMAZING. Some times splitting does miracles. 

Anyways, I'm going to focus on this model. There's like 6 of these statues in the room, but for obvious reasons I might cut that number, even though it's not accurate. This statue is reasonably accurate so far... given the fact that the only refernce I have are screen caps of an 80s film and at shitty angles. 

post-20995-0-62670100-1494191967_thumb.png