Can some one please help me, I'm making a map :D

laggermcjagger

I didn't expect to have it done by today necessarily but I've reconstructed the painting by repainting it, meshing together stills from the film. How does one texture onto a curved surface? Can radiant itself do that? Thanks

On a curved surface of a model the image will apply to a plane it depends on the surface range how long and wide you stretch it. Yes you can make meshes in radiant if you have to patch something. Just make a simple box how wide long you need it on the task bar on top click on Curve then simple patch mesh then put in how many lines you need for width or height then you can change it from flat surface to a curve by selecting verticals press V thats all. There is a limit on how many patches you use in radiant don't recall how much but if it's really big the map wont compile.

• Like 3

This is an unfinished window. I've also began work on the door. It's coming along..I want to texture a painting along a curved surface. The entire room is actually built onto curves, and for the backwall, a painting runs across the entire wall, wraps around it.  The entire room is wrapped in green painted walls with murals. I got a lot of work to do... but it's coming along. 

I got a job interview. I'm currently unemployed. This helps me fight off depression. Sorry for the OCD posts. I'm like that... It's funny I'd even try something like this as I'm so scatter brained and...like that...

I'll look to what you've said about curves already. I'll try it, but I'm not sure how to do it yet. Thank you for all your help so far. I can post some more progress but I thought this was a nice window and that it'll look real nice when I finish it for the game. 

I'm going to add a transparent texture to give it glass and more details. 

post-20995-0-75142200-1493823218_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've always seen window panels made from shaders out of tga format with alpha channels with clipped sides.

Don't really know how big of a map your deciding to do but you will run into a vis data size issue and max vertices limit reached if all the models are curved just so you know. 

Radiant is like the modeling programs there is a limit with it as well.

q2map2 compiler is very limited on resources even if you had top of the line equipment your still going to be limited just letting you know before you get to far ahead. 

• Like 1

This particular model is around 100 vertices. None of my models go above 600. I hope that doesn't happen... I'd be bummed. I really hope that doesn't happen to me. For the statues I was thinking of importing a native GTK Radiant model file and going from there. A Jedi academy model or something.  

I'll try to fill  you  in for what I have planned so far...

I want to do this...  I need to add 4 statues... I am modeling the door as we speak but technically it could just be a transparent texture if I really want to save on vertices. I could do the same for the window. That's basically all I really need to do with it. I'd like to add potted plants but since you've mentioned the vertice problem, I'm not sure it's worth it. 

I need to add pillars, but I can make those in GTKradiant. I wanted to add an elaborate ceiling but might hold off given the concern of vertices.  Is there  away to check how many vertices I'm up to? 

Ok, so then you leave Willie's room and there's  the crush room that is seen in the movie, given the vertice problem I will probably make the spikes and skeletions in that room simple textures...when coming down on some one's head  you're looking up only anyways so it's not an issue if it's a flat texture. 

I'm not sure what practical use a crush room will have for the map.  Then I'll have the kalimar room.  I wanted to make a large kali mar statue... of course I wanted to use as few vertices as I can.  Since we're worried about the size of the map maybe I'll make the statue explosive and that will be the end of the map.

I don't want to go over the limit.

Originally I wanted to take the sankarah stones, as the obj... escape below into a cavern system. And ride out with the stones on mining carts. Then finally cross the bridge and the map would be finished.

That was my map at it's longest always intended.

This would of course require that I model carts in radiant or a modeling program, modeled a mine with tracks that the car can run on... I could simplify the caverns as there's no need to go crazy. I'd put a clip in most entrances or board them off... The obj would be clear to steal a cart. and get in it.

Axis could ride an adjacent track.  This is complicated. But I guess I'd script it so that you have to be in a cart so that it moves and if you die inside of a cart, the cart goes back to the nearest entrance to where you can get back into it. I suppose a cart can be damaged too and if that happens it rolls backwards or forwards to the nearest stop where it can be loaded again. IF the allied cart stops, so does the axis cart. 

The bridge at the end will be constructive objective and explosive...

And that's my map at it's longest. 

Hmmm to save space maybe there would be 4 stops for the carts... so that people can get to those stops and axis can stop them at adjacent stops.  4 stops isn't that long... 

Yeah I like that.

Do you think I can pull it off? 

Edited by laggermcjagger
  • Like 1

yes you can use a script_mover with the objective to script it, would require advanced knowledge of scripting to pull it off it's like putting it on the back of the truck and moving it but yep can be done

Sorry to bring up the limits thing but it's best to be aware of such things before getting to a error

here's a simple prefab generator for a tank to understand script movers you must first conquer the tank and barricades it is not advanced as building a CP but it is technical to understand it is a good insight to understand moving entites in the game http://www.ruizzz.nl/prefabgenerator/index.php

in modding this is a time frame I think it will take you to undestand it.

No experience new guy will take 1-2 weeks

Moderate Coder of CSS 3-5 days

Advanced Coder 1 day

This is just a observation over my time period of helping people it's possible you could figure it out in a hour or two if know gtkradiant short cuts.

ET is build mainly of scripting this will be the hardest of them all modeling is like 10% of the work.

• Like 2

Meant to share this saved me a few mins of work to this is for 3dMax looks to be correct in my point of view would recommend this as a understand of scripting.

Note the time line 7m59s skipping the build part to clarify the export

https://youtu.be/uDAHoz-YA2E

Edited by DoubleDragon
  • Like 1

I have a back up plan to reduce vertices if necessary. Let me ask you this, can you make a Texture that has a shader so that from different angles it changes it's image? I  might be able to fake people out... I'm essentially talking a gif  image, something that shape shifts as you move around it to match your POV... A transparent statue texture leaned against a pillar to give the illusion of a 3D image before the statue.  With a transparent background. 

No, please I want to know the limitations. I'm afraid of doing something wrong. Telling me the limitations shows that you're honest and care. I appreciate it. Any suggestions on models? How many models I can use, so on? 

I GOT A JOB in my field... 20 hours a week starting, so I'll still have time for this. I hope because I really enjoy it. 

I want you to be upfront with me, better now than later right? I will do an elaborate ceiling on second thought with transparent textures. I'm going to lose my mind once i figure out transparent textures :D

Will   I know immediately when I run bsp, if there's too many vertices, or is it a last minute thing, like I'm done with my entire map, going to package it,and Radiant says...no... TOOO MANY vertices! You failed, You lose! GOOD DAY SIR?

Thanks

Edited by laggermcjagger

Yes the compile will let you know as soon as it is found. Will display Max... something reached.

Yes you can opaque a image to follow pov but right now will have to come back to this when I have time.

3.3.6 DeformVertexes autosprite2

Is a slightly modified "sprite" that only rotates around the middle of its longest axis. This allows you to make a pillar of fire that you can walk around, or an energy beam stretched across the room.

Alpha channel this is transparent see through image with no damage, no cull and no user defined mipmap settings in game.

textures/foldername/imagename   

{

qer_editorimage textures/foldername/imagename.tga  

DeformVertexes autosprite2                                          

surfaceparm nodamage

cull disable

nomipmaps

nopicmip

surfaceparm nomarks

surfaceparm alphashadow

surfaceparm metalsteps

surfaceparm pointlight

surfaceparm trans

implicitMask -

}

To learn about alpha blending in transparency use this guide

Also can be used with different surfaceparm to make non-transparent by removing the surface parameters and the cull cause cull is null with out alpha channel.

have good day

Related map reference Alkatraz map by Masterkiller just something I remember from back in the day Happy knows 

was busy earlier was working have good night :)

• Like 1

Hmmm, each program has it's advantages.  In Misfit Modeler 3D it is INSANELY easy to UV map textures. I don't understand how such an advanced program as 3DS Max feels like rocket science and an old program like Misfit Modeler 3D which is free wizzes right through the entire process!  Of course 3DS has more features than a program like Misfit modeler 

Milkshape, easily extracts files to Md3 format without any serious errors. 

But, because I'm working on models that require serious texturing, Misfit Modeler actually appeals to me right now. I'd like to figure it out. Does any one know how to export Md3 files in this antiquated software? Maybe I'm missing something in milkshape or 3DS but in Misfit Modeler remapping is literally just a few clicks. 

Edited by laggermcjagger

To save on vertices I've decided that the door itself will be a texture, but in the film you can see between the cracks of wood in the door. I might make it a transparent texture just for fun. That might be my first experimental transparent texutre. I need to do accurate hands on texturing UV mapping. This really works well in this program. Misfit Model 3D. I don't know why it's so hard in 3DS Max... 

I think i may stick to this sofrware for texture wrapping. ( Not sure I used any of the right words :D) This will be an arch around a door way.

post-20995-0-23015300-1493920570_thumb.png

Just want to say your making in general the same thing radiant can do. But making a arch as a model is a using up entities.

Watch these videos don't use patch meshes or inverted bevels for this use radiant it self. Use cut tool press x and then press and hold shift and hit keypad enter to cut and drag Vertices using V and pressing shift and drag mouse over points if this is new radiant after 1.4

Sorry busy today can't actually give a more defined reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCl6XKww4QE

• Like 1

I'd be so far along on this room if I knew what I was doing... :D I'd almost be done with the room.  As much going on as there is for it.  I still have to do the mural which is on a curved surface.  I think you already explained that. 

Thanks for all the help ddragon. 

Edited by laggermcjagger
  • Like 1