[OK now] [JAY 1 connect problem for some] Failed to resolve

Elf

• Platinum VIP

Hmm, weird, because I was back on it for an hour or so later last night, too

There was something Aniky posted somewhere about changing the port and connecting manually, but I can't find it now....

Thanks guys and West Coast dudes for the info. Still not working 7:50 pm MW time in Utah.

• Leader

Thanks guys and West Coast dudes for the info. Still not working 7:50 pm MW time in Utah.

I can see EvilButters is on Jay1, via TBS.  I was sure that he would be affected, too.  

Nerbil and I both use Comcast and our packets both use Comcast nodes until scnet.net.

@Vixen, what ISP do you have?

@Elf, what ISP do you have?

I tried to connect at work (using a different ISP), and I can get through:

Tracing route to 8.9.4.227 over a maximum of 30 hops

... (skipping a few lines)...
10    19 ms    19 ms    19 ms  ae0-134.cr3-sea2.ip4.gtt.net [173.205.50.237]
11    48 ms    48 ms    48 ms  xe-0-3-0.cr8-chi1.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.108.194]
12    47 ms    49 ms    49 ms  ip4.gtt.net [173.205.42.134]
13    49 ms    47 ms    49 ms  8.9.4.227

However, from home (through Comcast), it is still failing.

Tracing route to 8.9.4.227 over a maximum of 30 hops

... (skipping a few lines)...
  6    37 ms    38 ms    51 ms  be-10817-cr02.denver.co.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.84.205]
  7    62 ms    66 ms    66 ms  be-10517-cr02.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.85.169]
  8    61 ms    61 ms    59 ms  be-10563-pe01.350ecermak.il.ibone.comcast.net [68.86.82.158]
  9    60 ms    59 ms    59 ms  50.242.150.34
10    60 ms    61 ms    60 ms  0.ae12.cr2.ord6.scnet.net [204.93.204.83]
11    61 ms    60 ms    66 ms  0.ae2.ar10.ord6.scnet.net [204.93.204.81]
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
18     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Edited by Nerbil

• Platinum VIP

Odd thing with Comcast Gateways. A lot of times, connecting the Hooper to one causes problems so I'll connect a router to the gateway, and then connect the Hopper to it for connectivity to the system. Same with Media Com, who uses thew same gateways

I posted to the Tracker forum about this, but nobody seems to go there and read, so I'll just repost here:

----

I confirm this.  I spoke with several players who also confirm this (e.g. danger, tommygunz).  if europeans are affected it is not ISP specific.  My best guess is someone at Choopa screwed up the BGP table.   I tried to contact Choopa's support about it, but since I am not the leaseholder of the server, they promptly ignored me.  I'm fairly sure that that is the only way to resolve this though.

From home, I cannot ping the server, although the IP resolves just fine.  Traceroute shows it hitting a black hole around hop 10.  Here are the last responsive hops (for me):

7    13 ms    15 ms    27 ms  50.242.150.34
  8    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  0.ae4.cr2.ord6.scnet.net [204.93.204.87]
  9    42 ms    13 ms    16 ms  ae2.ar9.ord6.us.scnet.net [204.93.204.79]
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.

That will keep going to hop 30 where traceroute will give up.  I'm telling you, messed up BGP table is the most likely culprit.  From a remote server located in another part of the US, I can query that the server is up and see the players playing.

-----

I wrote that days ago.  The reason some people are affected and not others has to do with routing -- depending on where you are and your ISP, your path to the server takes different routes.  If I tether to my phone, I can connect no problem.

I'm telling you, this is a BGP table screw up somewhere. It COULD be at scnet, but it is most likely at Choopa (or whoever handles their routers).  I'm no network admin, but I've seen this before.

Do not burden yourself with total reinstalls.  This is not user specific issue.  If you have access to a VPN or can tether to a cellular network,  you should be able to temporarily workaround this.  The fact this has been happening for over two days now, imo, smacks of incompetence.  Automatic monitoring in data centers is supposed to detect failures like this.

With love,

8===D~~~

• Like 1

Did you connect via 27960 port or 27961 ? If by 27960, try 27961 and vice versa. 

I don't mean to be rude, even though everybody always assumes I am 100% of the time, but asking this question shows you did not read anything I wrote and completely fail to understand the problem.  We told you we cannot even get a ping response from the server and have shown you what our traceroutes look like. But how can we try a port when we cannot even route to the IP?

The only thing that needs to happen is for someone to get a hold of the person that actually owns the server and can get Choopa to fix the network routing issue. I assume this is Daredevil, but there may be other legal admin contacts.  If you can do that, please do it.  If you can provide further forensics showing the problem affecting a new geographical area, also cool. We really do not know how many people are affected, but it's clearly a handful plus all the people that simply assume the server is offline and don't report it.  When I connected last night via my tether, even though it was prime time, the server had bots.  That's rare on j1. 

Nerbil,

I just emailed support@servercentral.net and showed them both our traceroutes.   If we could collect more traceroutes from others who cannot connect, we can perhaps find a common loss point at scnet.net .  Right now we have two people confirming it, but we are also both at Comcast. In my mind it's conflating two potential fault points and simply isn't a large enough sample to be confident.  It would great to see what a european that cannot connect sees.

In case you don't know how to traceroute, from a windows command prompt, simply type:

tracert jay1.clan-fa.com

after you hit enter, you should start to see the trace go.  if you start to see endless lines likes this:

just hit ctl-c after 3 or 4. Then copy/paste the result here, but if you care about your anonymity, skip the first few lines (or hops as they are known).

Oh and this is just a call out to people who CANNOT connect.  If you can connect ok, your traceroute is not helpful to us.

Edited by qwertyuiop

I can see EvilButters is on Jay1, via TBS.  I was sure that he would be affected, too.  

Nerbil and I both use Comcast and our packets both use Comcast nodes until scnet.net.

@Vixen, what ISP do you have?

@Elf, what ISP do you have?

I use Comcast  like you do.

• Like 1