Symfony

Reding both damage and range will make knives useless. Change only one of them ( I vote for range)

knives are supposed to be useless unless your gibbing or backstabbing. knives now are "fun server-esque" and have no place on a hardcore server.

• Like 1

• Administrators

it takes 3 stabs to kill someone with a knife. that coupled with the absolutely impossible to evade range of the knife is ridiculous, especially on a server thats supposed to be hardcore. this isnt a question of rambo medics or class imbalances because if it was, covies also have 50% damage reduction and reduced explosive damage. true rambo medics are few and far between and theres not a ton of players that can successfully run and hide and heal without being killed. the general consensus of the people that play on the servers here say that they want the damage and possibly the range reduced. I don't see why it's a problem to do that.

knives do more damage than smgs. theres no question there. if a disguised covie runs up to you and you dont get a good 4 headshots in on them and they have their knife out, 9 times out of 10 theyre going to kill you because of damage reduction and knife range/damage.

I believe in stats. Please show me demo/screenshot where covies are in top 3. Just because one covie came to you and stabbed you doesn't mean all will do that on continuous basis. If you are saying it's annoying, then it's perception of each one. It's not to player when he is playing covie. In fact it's annoying to me when medics camp with packs around them.

Once you show me stats - where covies take top 3 shooters with only 10 consecutive maps - I am open to do changes. Till then covies will get benefit. If that's too easy to do that, i suggest you play 10 maps with good players (no demo against omni's wouldn't be considered) and show me how many times you pop up in top shooter by just using knife.

Just because it's in suggestion doesn't mean it will be on server. Range - yes. I am willing to play around that - other things remains same. Please send me over modified weapon file and we can get the testing going on our test server first.

knives are supposed to be useless unless your gibbing or backstabbing. knives now are "fun server-esque" and have no place on a hardcore server.

I suggest you pick server where only SMG's are allowed. Again that's your perception that knife are 'supposed to be useless' until gibbing or back stabbing. silEnT is not ETPRO and will not be ETPRO. We have 2 open ETPRO servers for that reason.

Hardcore is not frag only server. We had one back in the days - slowly it died out. (One month tops)

I dont play on HC, but I think the situation on B2 is similar.

The only way to beat a knife in short range (which is still better than melee range) is by kiting the guy using a knive perfectly, which in most cases isnt possible due to not having the space to do this. With a disguise, getting in close range is easy enough, unless you are super paranoid, and aim on every teammate instantly.

The knife isnt overpowered, but getting 3 shotted by a knife (and sometimes 1 shotted when the hitbox glitches) within 1 second isn't fun to me personally, but I can see that other people like this style of play. For this reason, I dont think the knife should be changed, but I certainly wouldnt mind it :P

Edit: getting oneshot by a backstab is fair though.

Edited by Koen

• Administrators

I dont play on HC, but I think the situation on B2 is similar.

The only way to beat a knife in short range (which is still better than melee range) is by kiting the guy using a knive perfectly, which in most cases isnt possible due to not having the space to do this. With a disguise, getting in close range is easy enough, unless you are super paranoid, and aim on every teammate instantly.

The knife isnt overpowered, but getting 3 shotted by a knife (and sometimes 1 shotted when the hitbox glitches) within 1 second isn't fun to me personally, but I can see that other people like this style of play. For this reason, I dont think the knife should be changed, but I certainly wouldnt mind it :P

Edit: getting oneshot by a backstab is fair though.

By any chance you have demo or anything for hitbox glitch? That requires serious fix asap if possible. Any steps to re-create the issue will help. Serious code changes would go in silEnT mod next version which I am not sure when it's happening. But if it's really bad - I could spam up our silEnT mod dev team and try to get the fix going. 

By any chance you have demo or anything for hitbox glitch? That requires serious fix asap if possible. Any steps to re-create the issue will help. Serious code changes would go in silEnT mod next version which I am not sure when it's happening. But if it's really bad - I could spam up our silEnT mod dev team and try to get the fix going.

Unfortunately I dont atm, but I'll try to get a demo of this. This might take a while though as I'm not very active.

Maybe someone else has a demo of this?

• Platinum VIP

Are knives on Silent and Hardcore Poison Knives or just Knives without poison? The knife issue to me and many others is still not the damage, but the poison that you cannot recover from

Are knives on Silent and Hardcore Poison Knives or just Knives without poison? The knife issue to me and many others is still not the damage, but the poison that you cannot recover from

no poison knives. The issue is as mentioned that you get one shotted far away by knife. This might be because of a combination of hitbox glitch (?) and ping?. Either way as mentioned above, it is very annoying.

If it is a bug, it should be fixed, so let us all who play on SIlent Mod have auto record on and try to recreate it. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

U belong to jaymod family :P Jayplayers have find a way to whine for whatever Jaybird added to the mod. First they whinned for moltov's, then poison knifes. And for 1000th time poison knifes are not going away from jaymod. If it annoy's you then find the person using that and make him dead.  Yes you can't recover form poison.  I played few days back - back to back - I didn't find anyone good at poison knifes - like we used to have back in the days - killyounow, superhappycow, hazz, etc. 

• Like 4

I think people are more annoyed with the combination of the high damage and long range. Not only rambo medics are effected from this. Having only of them should be a reasonable compromise. Preferably shortening the range so covert ops still have the high damage bonus which will still attract people to use that class is the best way to go about this imo.

Each class has its bonuses (only listed frequently used ones):

Medic: Self-healing, increased health.

Soldier: Heavy weapons, panzerfaust (commonly used weapon as a solider - effective)

Engineer: Rife grenades, Flak Jackets.

Field Ops: Arty/Air strike, ammunition, Can detect undercover Covert ops.

Covert Ops: High knife damage (Coupled with long range = lethal), Undercover (Inflicted damaged reduced as well as increased stealth), Sniper and satchel charge.

Each class has their benefits. The reason why theres more complaints with "rambo" medics is because its the easiest one to adjust to and take advantage of. Knifing, Sniping and Rnading takes time to master and not all people are bothered to do that. If people actually practiced those classes instead of whining about rambo medics (which some people do on Hardcore) you will see that there isn't that much of a disadvantage with each class and that the medics being super OP is a bit a myth. 

If people knew how to use each class, which isnt too much of a problem on HC, there wouldn't be much of an imbalance between classes. 

Coverts having high damaged "swords" instead of knives can be quite annoying. Reason is when I see people die because of it, including myself, the covy is no where near the dude but still manages to hit him. Thats what can be highly frustrating.

With rambo medics, I only see a few that lay health packs down and camp. Most jump around, yes camping but they the majority heal team members and revive which is in their job description. Wonder if there is a way to set it so that it takes more charge if you heal yourself as opposed to healing someone else.

Anyway, DD said he'd play around with the range if someone provides him with the files. So get on to doing that yeah :)

• Like 1

U belong to jaymod family :P Jayplayers have find a way to whine for whatever Jaybird added to the mod. First they whinned for moltov's, then poison knifes. And for 1000th time poison knifes are not going away from jaymod. If it annoy's you then find the person using that and make him dead.  Yes you can't recover form poison.  I played few days back - back to back - I didn't find anyone good at poison knifes - like we used to have back in the days - killyounow, superhappycow, hazz, etc. 

Hubsan and phoenix are good at it :D

• Like 1

Coverts having high damaged "swords" instead of knives can be quite annoying. Reason is when I see people die because of it, including myself, the covy is no where near the dude but still manages to hit him. Thats what can be highly frustrating.

Yes this is my problem. 

I don't have much new to add, but I'll just echo what has been stated: if a good player plays covert ops with full XP and uses knife, they will win the 1v1 on 95% of occasions. Unless you're a medic with full HP, it's two frontal stabs and you're dead. You're dead in less time than a panzer takes to shoot, in less time than you can shoot three headshots, and most of the time, before you can push them away (given the huge range). There is no weapon as overpowered as a knife. It's far easier to kill a panzerfaust who's firing right next to you and even the best-aiming rambo medic.

Edited by TURNTLE
  • Like 1

I dunno about jaymod ive been playin mostly on HC and silent1 ...

but in my opinion its not the kind of problem that requires a FIX ! i mean it can be surprising to "suddenly" die while fighting a covie with a knife despite the impression that you had managed to get away from em ... but im just like "wow what was that !?! ... OK..." and then keep playing.

It is also something that doesnt happen many times during a map (to me at least) maybe 1 or 2 times because after that i just become more vigilant 

and those situations happen usually when a specific type of player is arround they know how to take advantage off the covert ops class and manage to sneak in go undetected to be able to have those close combat situations otherwise they are forced to use their smg too. So i think they diserve credit for that cuz the majority of covies i see dont succeed when tryin to do that tbh. And what about an engi who can take you out before u even can see him with a riflnade cuz they just randomly thought u could be there,  and in some little maps its like a spam fest ... 

( What is more problematic for me on HC specificaly is the TK/TB situation ... like a panzer guy who doesnt bother taking out 2 mates for a kill blowing himself up in the process and then go 'YEAH!!' in the quick chat but that is another topic i know that )

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

You didn't play against the right people then because there a few that are too good at them, like Elk, Happy Gilmore, and some others. They never miss and good for them, be good at knives, use them but the poison is a totally unfair advantage. Although, admittedly, Poison knife usage has gone down in favor of arty spammers. I guess everything rotates. Arty will die off and then it'll be something else that get's overly used, but look mate, here's my point. You can't make it fun for everyone, obviously, but most people in the server and in the forum have asked for poison to be removed so that would make the majority happier. Majority rules, right? Isn't that the way it normally works? I think if a few tweaks were in place, remove poison, limit number of Rifles per team, etc, it would only make the servers better for everyone in general. I'll even back off on wishing Panzer and other Heavy Weapons didn't also have SMG

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1