Vsays on NQ1

Raziel

I'd like to open a discussion on the custom vsay sounds for our NQ1 server and want to encourage all members and regulars to share their point of view on the matter.

As with many things, your personal preference for vsays is also a matter of taste. Whoever witnessed me playing on this server for the past seven and half years, for instance, knows that I love to play all those little snippets from songs and movie quotes or movie scores to alleviate the atmosphere and of course for my own amusement. And I think we have quite the diverse and fun vsay sound pack. But, as always, there are exceptions to the rule and the issue of excessive spamming of vsays has been - and probably always will be - a downside to having custom vsays to play on a server.

The aforementioned exceptions are a certain set of vsays which consists mainly of different sounds of women moaning in a sexual aroused manner.

These vsays can not accessed via the vsay menu and used to be a secret "fun" extra for clan members. As with many things that were supposed to kept secret, they got leaked and now basically everyone has access to them - much to the chagrin of many admins and regulars - for overspamming these vsays can get annoying very quickly. (Most recent example of an admin getting fed up with a regular spamming: https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/86350-fa-big-bro/ )

This leads up to the follwing questions I'd like to discuss here:

1. Should we remove vsays like the above from the server altogether?

2. Followup question: Where should we draw the line? There are other vsays in our soundpack containing insults which could be put into consideration for removal. Then again we are talking about a game which can function as an outlet for many people. I firmly believe that taunts and insults thrown around in a joking manner are part of it.

3. Do the vsays in NQ1 annoy you? If so, do you think that lowering the vsay spam protection threshhold (i.e. from 6 vsays in a row to 4) could be beneficial to a friendlier server atmosphere?

4. Are the admins on NQ1 too lenient with vsay spam and should spammers be punished more strictly? I personally know I can tolerate a lot of vsays after playing on this server for so long.

5. Do you think our vsay pack needs an overhaul in general?

6. Most importantly: Am I just making a big fuss over nothing? ;)

This is supposed to create a constructive dialogue between regulars and admins. I am always in favour of discussing an issue at hand to get a broader perspective before taking action. So please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Edited by Raziel
  • Like 4

i wouldnt say get rid of them but lowering the threshold to 4 will prob be a good idea can we put it to a vote 

maybe could we also get some new sounds on the server 

• Platinum VIP

I agree, don't get rid of them. I like it when people use the right one at the right time to enhance something that happened in the game or a conversation but of course spamming is something that cannot be allowed

six ;) Currently it's okay and handled accordingly. Some times its bit difficult to draw line on water but as regular player there I dont see problem. 

• Like 2

Yes and no, as you said in your post vsays can be fun if they add something to whatever it was that happened. The moaning vsays dont add anything other than spam in my opinion. I'd say remove the moan ones and other annoying vsays and replace them with something new and different, it will get some fresh vsays for people to play with unless we want to keep some of them hidden and have them for use as admins.

2. Followup question: Where should we draw the line? There are other vsays in our soundpack containing insults which could be put into consideration for removal. Then again we are talking about a game which can function as an outlet for many people. I firmly believe that taunts and insults thrown around in a joking manner are part of it.

Taunts and insults meant in a fun way are fine by me, however if you look at the topic on certain spammers in our private section you can see that they sometimes target people/admins and basically harass or abuse them by always using specific vsays to piss people off. some general banter between players is fine but i draw the line at repetative useage of vsays meant as harassment or when it is for literally every kill a player makes.

3. Do the vsays in NQ1 annoy you? If so, do you think that lowering the vsay spam protection threshhold (i.e. from 6 vsays in a row to 4) could be beneficial to a friendlier server atmosphere?

Yes the vsays annoy me, there are few in use and they get used way too often. I have blocked vsays for more than a year now and have had a lot more fun, albeit a harder time tracking if certain binds have vsays attached to them as i cant hear them. I defenitly think limiting it from 6 to 4 would help for players that spam multiple vsays in a row but i'd rather see it lowered to 2 in quick succession to be the max as more is overkill anyways.

4. Are the admins on NQ1 too lenient with vsay spam and should spammers be punished more strictly? I personally know I can tolerate a lot of vsays after playing on this server for so long.

I dont think admins on NQ1 are doing a bad job with vsay spam, however i do feel like some admins should change aswell as they spam themselvers quite often. Most people i ask on nq1 are willing to reduce their amount of spam so that is a good thing, and the repeat offenders tend to get warned and muted for it aswell.

yes, remove obnoxious ones and add something new and fun. Or add some vsays for admins to use that could be used to help admins lighten up the mood or whatever.

No i dont think its a big fuss over nothing, i used to be a spammer myself when i was younger so i know why some people do it. however if i have to mute the vsays becouse they are annoying they go too far.

• Like 7

1. I think, all moaning and sex-themed sounds should be removed, there're better ways of expressing emotions and attitude.

2. However, like Owned said, insults and other vsays like this, if used well, can nicely enhance the conversation or situation in game. So - don't remove the "official" vsays :)

3. Nope, I use them too. The only problem is, when 2 or more people use the same vsay a lot at the same moment, that can drive me crazy, so it would be a good idea, to decrease ammount of certain vsay used by all players to the same level that is applied to a one player (6, or maybe soon 4, which is quite more reasonable).

4. I wouldn't say that, if there's obvius spam, there's a reaction, I haven't seen if there was any problem with that.

5. Well, there are some vsays, that are used less often that the other ones, so it can be a nice gesture to regular players to add some new vsays, but it's not vital.

6. No, it's good that this topic was created, little changes would be a good thing :)

• Like 2

Those vsay packs make servers more lively, but it's been a very long time since we updated them hence we need an overhaul.

On some servers we have anti-spam but after some time players learn to evade it a bit(same as configs with wait x time). I was thinking about 10 vsays in 120s(or something similar to that), or maybe two contitions (3 in 20s and 15 in 120s) to target better those spammers.

You're not making fuss about it. This topic was around quite some time already. Sever settings/vsays stayed the same but the spammers changed :P

• Like 1

You're going to upset jukebox with this topic,just shhh if u dont want to bounce in your ears his spam :P

Haven't seen Jukebox in a while hermana, but last time I saw him, he told me he was missing you ;).

With that out of the way, I'd like to clarify that I'd like the moaning vsays to be removed. They might have been fun when used sparingly and only by few admins who actually cared but nowadays with most regs knowing them and kids spamming them, they only add to the problem.

• Like 1

I'd like to open a discussion on the custom vsay sounds for our NQ1 server and want to encourage all members and regulars to share their point of view on the matter.

As with many things, your personal preference for vsays is also a matter of taste. Whoever witnessed me playing on this server for the past seven and half years, for instance, knows that I love to play all those little snippets from songs and movie quotes or movie scores to alleviate the atmosphere and of course for my own amusement. And I think we have quite the diverse and fun vsay sound pack. But, as always, there are exceptions to the rule and the issue of excessive spamming of vsays has been - and probably always will be - a downside to having custom vsays to play on a server.

The aforementioned exceptions are a certain set of vsays which consists mainly of different sounds of women moaning in a sexual aroused manner.

These vsays can not accessed via the vsay menu and used to be a secret "fun" extra for clan members. As with many things that were supposed to kept secret, they got leaked and now basically everyone has access to them - much to the chagrin of many admins and regulars - for overspamming these vsays can get annoying very quickly. (Most recent example of an admin getting fed up with a regular spamming: https://fearless-assassins.com/topic/86350-fa-big-bro/ )

This leads up to the follwing questions I'd like to discuss here:

This is supposed to create a constructive dialogue between regulars and admins. I am always in favour of discussing an issue at hand to get a broader perspective before taking action. So please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Hey all,

1. No, leave the vsays. they are an essential part off nq1. But... get rid of the moaning. Some new ones (more rock, funk soul like stuff :P)' will be good

2.the insults are actually good. Because standard vsay insults are more taken lightly, you can joke around and even if u use them as insult no one casres anymore. If you leave them out, people will be more insulting on their own, more targetting individuals and most o/t time be more harsch, What DOES go wrong is that vsays are beig customized by certain players with bigger insults... than is not good.

3.no, they don't annoy me anymore (since I left F|A). But I would prefer to lower them from 6 to 4 too

4. Half of the admins are hardly functioning anyway on NQ1. Some are the biggest spammers, spamming the same vsay 30 times if possible, while being in spec, not contributing to the game and not doing real adminstuff when needed

5. leve most add some fun ones.. yes

6. Nope u r not. I am glad you care

Edited by Helsen
  • Like 4

ow, and please get rid of the vsay: ' i got a confession' . This is being overused alot by a small amount of players. They use it soo much it just floods the server then. Nowadays mostly used by an admin  ;)

• Like 2

Well.. There is a reason I don't play on NQ anymore, and vsays is your answer
Since I don't play often v92 isn't a big deal to me but I do like to hear the "I need a medic" and "I need ammo" vsays since they are useful ingame and sadly they get muted as well

Yes atleast reduce the amount of vsays you can do, 4 is plenty imo, especially since everyone likes to join in the spam on nq, 5 people x4 vsays = headache 
And no you are not making a big fuss out of it, for me it's a huge server killer but not for most on the server so some new ones are probably the way to go

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A month has passed, 3 weeks since last post, time to recap:

1. Remove the moaning vsays

2. Reduce vsay spam threshold from 6 to 4 or 3 in 20s and 15 in 120s.

3. Get some new vsays.

We should be able to get no. 1 + 2 done quickly. I'll cook something up for no. 3.

• Like 3