Fps Drops

BSM
Go to solution Solved by Foreigner,

Good day, my friends!

Since I am starting to branch out from the Hardcore server and visit more complex maps among the other FA servers, I have come to find that my current setup has horrible fps drops. Especially in Jaymod servers I get drops all the way down in the 50's, where usually it's a consistent 125 on scrim maps. I usually only experience drops  in HC when objectives are destroyed or a similar event occurs, but on the more complex maps found in Jay1 if I am looking across the map (even through a wall) it drops significantly. I imagine it has something to do with the amount of players as well. 

Here is my config: http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgso28tjf8208c1/BSM.zip

I have the feeling it has more to do with my actual PC than my config. However, if there's anything in my config which I can change to increase performance that I have missed or failed to included, the knowledge would be appreciated. Figured i'd ask you guys for your opinions. I'm sure it's something extremely simple I've overlooked. 

(As a side note, I use AMD so r_primitives is set to 2, just to rule that out before that's the first post that comes up :P)

Thanks for your time and help, wish you the best

• Like 1

Maxing out your rate will help a little. I think the server allows 50k?

I've heard brighter configs run higher fps but who knows where I read that.

A lot get fps loss when the servers fills up. Might be server side? Maybe someone familiar with this and et's net code can shine some light on that.

I get fps loss too and usually dont play if there's more than 20 on a team.

• Like 1

Maxing out your rate will help a little. I think the server allows 50k?

WUT I didn't know you could bump the rate that high. Thanks a ton for the input dawg.

Edited by BSM
  • Like 1

i notice in your cfg you use 1600 x 900 do you play on a laptop?

Nah, I actually have a 1920x1080 monitor. Asus vg248qe. I've always had a problem with my graphics card on 1080p. No matter what game, the screen flickers black on 1080p resolutions if I use a hz amount anywhere above 75hz. No matter what i've done, reinstalling drivers, the card itself, different cords to the monitor, it's always been an issue. 

Nah, I actually have a 1920x1080 monitor. Asus vg248qe. I've always had a problem with my graphics card on 1080p. No matter what game, the screen flickers black on 1080p resolutions if I use a hz amount anywhere above 75hz. No matter what i've done, reinstalling drivers, the card itself, different cords to the monitor, it's always been an issue. 

I have the same screen with no issues.  Did you mess with any of the display options on the monitor itself?  I'm not on my desktop right now but I think certain "fancy" things cause problems with a lot of games.

Make sure you're using the dvi port and have your vga drivers set correctly for ET and possibly globally if the problem is outside of games. vertical sync force off, tripple buffering off, threaded optimization off.

Goggling "vg248qe screen flickering" has brought up a few different fixes.

Edited by Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Like 1

I have the same screen with no issues.  Did you mess with any of the display options on the monitor itself?  

Yeah man, believe me i've tried everything. I'm pretty sure it's my graphics card though. I used to have an older graphics card on that same monitor and I never had an issue. It's just one of those issues I never resolved, hehe. I don't really mind playing on lower res anyways. Anything is better than the 800x600 CoD4 days. 

Try a cvar_restart so you'll know if it's an issue with your config or elsewhere. If it's with your config, you'd probably be best starting from scratch or customizing a different config. Your current one has a ton of stuff from server configs, player configs, ettv config, etc. and seems like a huge task to track down the problem in.

From what you mentioned about how your FPS is fine looking short distances, it sounds like your processor is causing the issue. What are the specs on your PC? Next time the FPS drops occur, check what your CPU usage is and what your temperatures are.

Edited by Foreigner
  • Like 2

Try a cvar_restart so you'll know if it's an issue with your config or elsewhere. If it's with your config, you'd probably be best starting from scratch or customizing a different config. Your current one has a ton of stuff from server configs, player configs, ettv config, etc. and seems like a huge task to track down the problem in.

If it's a problem with your PC, I would suspect it's due to either your graphics card (since it seems to have issues) or processor. Next time the FPS drops occur, check what your CPU usage is and what your temperatures are.

Alright, yeah you are probably right. This was originally Clown's config from like 2006 but it looks nothing like the original since I went through and changed everything. Probably would be a lot easier starting over.

I completely forgot about temps, thanks for the reminder. It's also been 2+ years since I cleaned my PC so I am sure that might have something to do with it. 

Thanks for the tips my man, appreciate it. 

Alright, yeah you are probably right. This was originally Clown's config from like 2006 but it looks nothing like the original since I went through and changed everything. Probably would be a lot easier starting over.

I completely forgot about temps, thanks for the reminder. It's also been 2+ years since I cleaned my PC so I am sure that might have something to do with it. 

Thanks for the tips my man, appreciate it. 

You're fast, started responding before I even got my edit in  :P. What CPU do you have?

You're fast, started responding before I even got my edit in  :P. What CPU do you have?

I'm at work so i'm just chilling at the front desk with my laptop at the moment, hehe. I have an Intel Core i5 3330, came stock with this Walmart PC back in 2012

• Solution

I'm at work so i'm just chilling at the front desk with my laptop at the moment, hehe. I have an Intel Core i5 3330, came stock with this Walmart PC back in 2012

Definitely check those temps and your power options. I can't imagine that processor struggling with ET unless it's having issues or you've got a ton of other stuff running at the same time.

• Like 2

Definitely check those temps and your power options. I can't imagine that processor struggling with ET unless it's having issues or you've got a ton of other stuff running at the same time.

Honestly that's probably the issue. Thinking about it now, it only became a problem after my computer blue-screened and I had to revert to factory settings. I don't run anything else while playing ET, so I imagine that's more than likely the issue. I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks again for helping me narrow it down!

• Platinum VIP

Absolutely. I had terrible FPS drops also, then I did new heat goop on my CPU, cleaned the radiator behind the fan out (It was gross) and boom, steady FPS, steady 32 degrees C

• Like 1

Absolutely. I had terrible FPS drops also, then I did new heat goop on my CPU, cleaned the radiator behind the fan out (It was gross) and boom, steady FPS, steady 32 degrees C

Yeah, I got a strong feeling that's the issue. Glad to hear it worked for you, now I just gotta stop being lazy and do it :D