Wolf ET : Experienced Players - Enemy Territory

CheepHeep

Wolfenstein E.T.: Experienced Players

Once you have become familiar with the basics of ET like memorizing frequent map layouts, understanding the objects and developing your aim as well as movements then it may be apparent that you have maximized your potential in the basics and will find yourself not improving anymore. It is therefore time to further expand your knowledge of ET by picking out the “little” not so obvious details in ET that offer a big advantage to your game play, when mastered, allowing you to become a more effective team player.

If you haven’t yet reached this level, I will leave some links to some other tutorials that may help you down below:-

- Beginner's Guide

- Improve Skills

Binding Classes and Spawns

Initially, you may feel lazy to do this but it’s a real big time saver and much less of a hassle. Instead of having to go into Limbo and having to manually select a class, weapon and spawn which can take a considerable amount of time, you can do this with just one click of a button.

Here’s an example of a situation that can often occur and where you would benefit from binding your classes and spawns:

Example:

Map: Braundorf_B4

Context:

Allied engineer slips past main gate with the assistance of a covert operative and manages to plant a dynamite at the bunker with no resistance and without the knowledge of the Axis players.

Axis’ team players are all stationed at original spawn point. They have 30 seconds to get to the bunker eliminate the allied players positioned there and finally defuse the dynamite. The chances of this occurring is almost nil.

Instead of sprinting all the way to the bunker which would take too long, you can switch spawn points to one closest to the bunker and “Kill Out”. Now, manually switching spawn may take too long and you could risk missing your spawn time in which case you would most likely lose the match. Alternatively, if you have binds allocating to the different spawn points, you can instantly select the spawn point and respawn there a long with your teammates giving you a much higher chance of defusing and regaining control of the map.

Also say for example, there are no engineers, it would save you a good few seconds if you had the engineer class “binded” instead of having to press “L” select class and then confirming it.

Conclusion:

You could switch class, spawn point and kill out in a matter of seconds where as if you were to do this manually you would probably waste a solid 10 seconds which will most likely cost you the match or just generally put you and your team at a disadvantage.

How to bind classes

Here are some of my current class binds:

Note : These binds are compatible for Silent Mod. Weapon slots may differ from mod to mod.

bind F3 "class s 4 3;say_team ^1-->^0 Soldier^1 w/ ^0F^1.^0Thrower" 
bind F4 "class c 3 1;say_team ^1--> ^0Covy^1 w/ ^0sniper^1*^0*^1*" 
bind F5 "class c 1 1;say_team ^1--> ^0Covy^1 w/ ^0sten^1*^0*^1*" 
bind F6 "class m 1 1;say_team ^1--> ^0Medic^1*^0*^1*" 
bind F7 "class f 1;say_team ^1--> ^0Field^1O^0ps^1*^0*^1*"
bind F8 "class e 1;say_team ^1--> ^0Engi^1 w/ ^0smg^1*^0*^1*" 
bind f9 “class e 3;say_team ^1--> ^0Engi^1 w/ ^0rnade^1*^0*^1*” 
bind F10 "class s 5 3;say_team ^1--> ^0Soldier^1 w/ ^0Panzer"

Key:

Class                          Weapon Select : Primary                                   Weapon Select : Secondary 
s – Solider                    1 – Default weapon                                        1 – Default Weapon (SMG/Akimbo)
c – Covert Ops                 2-5 – Alternative Primary Weapon(s)                       2-3 – Alternative Secondary Weapon(s) 
m – Medic                      1 - Default weapon                                        1-2 - Single/Akimbo
f – Field Ops                  1- Default  weapon                                        1-2 - Single/Akimbo
e - Engineer                   1-2 Alternative Primary Weapon(s)                         1-2 - Single/Akimbo

Example:

If you want to switch to a soldier with a panzer and a SMG you would type “class s 5 3”. S for soldier, 5 for Panzerfaust since it’s in the 5th weapon bank and 3 for choosing an SMG as your secondary weapon.

To add text that will show up in your team chat that will notify your teammates which class you are switching to simply add: 

;say_team [text-here]"[/size]

How to Bind Spawn Points

I have yet to use this because I am lazy noob so I can’t positively say what the best way to go about this is. I have therefore searched for a relevant thread that accurately explains how this can be done.

Click here : Spawn/Bind Selector

Spawn Times

This is a very useful and easy method of gaining the upper hand in a game and allowing yourself to effectively plan and execute your objectives with minimal resistance. There are also many alternative advantages that arise from this style of play that could dramatically improve your game statistics.

Spawn Times can vary from server to server so I will use the spawn times settings from the Hardcore server.

Axis: 18 second spawn time

Allies: 14 second spawn time

Now that you know the spawn intervals, you can time when the enemies next respawn time is. To do this, you need to carefully watch for some key pointers that can give away the enemies spawn time.

• Watch for players that kill out, they will most likely do this just before their spawn time.
  • Note when their spawn protection has depleted. Knock off about 3 seconds to obtain their spawn time.

You could also sacrifice one spawn cycle and hide in the enemies spawn to get an exact spawn time. Its best to do this early in the game, so you can start using their spawn times to your advantage immediately.

To know when their next spawn is, take the clock on your HUD and add 14 or 18 second intervals. Start practicing now and you will start doing it naturally without much thought.

Here’s another Tutorial thoroughly explaining Spawn Times :

Spawn Times

Game Sense and Awareness

This is a very important and major aspect of ET that can make or break your game depending on your level of awareness and predictability skills.

Awareness mostly involves your listening skills. A good pair of headphones would make this easier to master. A few things to listen for:

• Footsteps/Doors – Track enemy movements without direct eye contact by listening for their footsteps or opening and closing of doors.
  • Gunfire – Pinpoint where your teammates are as well as enemies by listening for gunfire
  • Planting – Engineers planting mines or dynamites. You can kill them as they are unarmed.
  • Switching Weapon – Listen for enemies switching weapon. This gives you a split second advantage.
  • Reloading – Listen for enemies reloading their weapon. They are vulnerable, so attack.
  • Grenades – Listen for grenades. They make a distinct sound when hitting the floor. Avoid them.
  • Panzerfaust – You can hear the Panzerfaust priming. Get to safety. (Hide behind a wall etc.)
  • Constructing – You can instantly predict where Engineers are when you hear this sound. As an Engineer, you can use the sound to lure enemies. Note: On most mods the construction sound is only triggered at the start of the construction
  • Voice chat – most of the time, your team is telling you something urgent. Example: “incoming” which can mean the Enemy is approaching objective or “Fire in the hole” which can signify that your teammate is throwing a grenade, arty or firing a panzer/mortar in a heavy populated region.
  • Covert Ops – If you hear a covert weapon and you find your teammate dead and another “teammate” leaving the scene, most likely the player leaving the scene is in disguise. (look at his weapon).
  • Healing - When a medic is healing himself or their teammates, a distinct sound of a med-pack dropping can be heard. This is a good opportunity to attack as the enemy will be unarmed. ***CREDIT TO HIPKAT***

Another tip: Keep an eye on who has been killed and who has died as it can give you and idea of who is where in the map.

Example:

Map: Adlernest

Context:

Gengis sees teammate Comatose approaching “documents” area. Gengis leaves the area. A few seconds later it shows that Comatose was killed be enemy CheepHeep. Therefore you can predict that CheepHeep ( Mighty Chicken Power ) is at the “documents” and can choose to either track CheepHeep down or position himself at the radio.

Recording and Reviewing Your Gameplay

Always, always record your gameplay. Not only is it beneficial towards your admin duties ( for admins ) but you can later review the demo and note down what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right. This is one of the best ways to overall improve your general skill set. The first step is to know what you are doing wrong, then you can go about correcting it by asking for advice from someone experienced in the area or posting your conundrum on the forums for many to answer. Bind the record button so you can easily activate the record feature. Default : F12.

I have attached a link to a Demo Viewer that has been uploaded to the F|A Downloads section. You can also use ET directly to view the demos you have recorded.

To view demos via ET:

• Run ET
  • Select "Mod" from the main menu
  • Choose the Mod that you used when you were recording ( Silent, Jaymod, ETPub, ETPro etc. )
  • Select "Replays" after the Mod has loaded
  • Select a demo from the list of recordings

Jot down notes on what you need improving on and keep it in view when you play so you can refer to it. Eventually, your hands will automatically adjust to the new play style.

---->

Demo Viewer <----

Fire-Team and Map

Utilize these functions as they can help you keep track of where your teammates are. You can then allocate your resources to where it’s needed the most.

Fire-Team option allows you to know the exact position and health of your teammate. If you see that their health is decreasing, you can quickly get to their position to assist them. If they call for ammo or a medic, you know their position and can effectively re-supply them.

Use the map (G – Default). This gives you an overall basic layout of whats going on. If your teammate sees an enemy, the enemies position will be updated on the map even if you are no where near them. This allows you to plan what to do next and where to go.

I've attached a tutorial that thoroughly explains what you need to know about FireTeams and how to utilize it properly.

More info :

FireTeam

Reviving

Reviving is the main plus point of being a medic. Try and revive as much as possible. There are many situations where matches are lost because medics do not revive on time. If you see a teammate down, give yourself 2 seconds to check the surroundings and quickly revive. If the enemy is still around, they have two targets instead of one.

Also, if you are maintaining yourself in a fixed position. For example, to defend a flag or a dynamite. Lay med packs close to you so if you get ambushed or have multiple assailants attacking you, you have a “backup” and will last a lot longer in a fight.

Another added benefit from reviving is that you can use the wounded teammate, that you just revived, as a temporary shield. When you revive someone, there is a period of time where they cant take any damage. You will notice an icon above the revived member to signify that he has temporary protection. Hiding behind your teammate will give you a precious few seconds to switch from your syringe back to your weapon.

Mine/ Dynamite/Arty/Mortar Placement

- Each class has a unique ability and specializes in a certain area. Its important to maximize the potential that each class offers.

Mines:

Mine placement can a great advantage. Learn to place them where they are deemed most effective. This can be achieved by trial and error or observing which path(s) the enemy frequently takes.

Places to consider :

• Stairs – Plant one directly at the bottom of the stairs and the a few surrounding it so they cant be jumped over
  • In bushes – Plant mines in low-visibility areas such as bushes.
  • Ammo/Health Racks – Surround these racks with mines to pick off weakened enemies.
  • Construction Sites – Plant mines around construction boxes to pick off Engineers
  • Corners – Position mines that gives minimum time for the enemy to react, for example behind corners. This offers a higher probability of the enemy triggering it.
  • Spawn – position mines within a certain distance from enemy spawn so that the “spawn protection” doesn’t nullify the damage from the mines.

Dynamites:

Dynamites can also be used as effective deterrents and distractions instead of only using it for its default function.

• Refer to mine placement.
  • Place dynamite outside spawn. Consider spawn protection. Get their spawn time so you can perfectly time the 30 second dynamite to inflict maximum damage on enemies.
  • Place Dynamites in frequently active areas to act as a deterrent and a distraction. This causes the enemy to focus on the dynamite so they can avoid it, giving you and your team the upper hand.

Artillery/Mortar (or Satchel):

A well place Artilery can win the game. A bad one can cause havoc to your own team. Same applies to mortar users. A satchel is a useful explosive device too. You can take out Command Posts and place them in strategic positions to knock off the enemies health.

• Refer to mines/dynamite placement
  • Place at objective points to gain time and an advantage.

ET Configuration

Customizing your own config for ET is one of the last steps to getting to your full potential. It may take some tweaking and guidance from those experienced in this as well as trial and error to see what works and what doesn't, but in the end it should no doubt improve your game :

I had created my own config some years ago before my time with F|A but it seems that I have forgotten a few essentials in making decent configs. So instead I went and looked for a tutorial that could help you guys with this instead.

Check Below!

Few Extra Links:

Went fishing through the tutorials section of ET to show off some of th great tutorials published here as well as to help you guys :) I only ask that you don't start owning me. :)

These are a few extra tips and tricks to maximize your potential in ET.

Remember: Practice makes perfect, but only if you put the effort into it! Game On!

Also, Credit given to all those who have uploaded the tutorials I have attached here.

If I missed anything or you think something is incorrect. Please notify me so I can rectify the issue asap.

Thanks for reading!

#########################################################################

Useful Feedback

Here I am going to edit in and credit all useful feedback and responses to the support topic of this tutorial.

Mikeslayer

On 3/3/2017 at 1:15 AM, MikeSlayer said:

this bind /kills then respawns as engy smg whilst playing the alarm and writing a message to let you know you have triggered it

great for those last second defuses

bind j "class e 1; kill; echo ^1/kill'ing ^1and ^1spawning ^1as ^1engineer; play sound/world/alarm_01"

Krepox

When i kill myself i use this bind : bind z "kill;forcetapout" . I think it is a handy bind for beginning players.

Broham

This is why I have s_stop combined with my jump button. Easy to stop vsays/airstrike noise, etc.

bind mouse2 "+moveup; s_stop"

Slayer

This is a standard FPS Toggle, it could be done infinitely as long as you echo to the first fps.

bind j "vstr fps_change"

set fps_change "vstr fps_76"

set fps_76 "com_maxfps 76; echo 76; set fps_change vstr fps_125"

set fps_125 "com_maxfps 125; echo 125; set fps_change vstr fps_333"

set fps_333 "com_maxfps 333; echo 333; set fps_change vstr fps_76"

This one is a good tapout one: bind k "kill; forcetapout; say_team ^x/^7killed"

This good for when you have maps like cortex and you cant see your sight dot:

bind del "vstr crosshair_color"

set crosshair_color "vstr crosshair_red"

set crosshair_blue "cg_crosshairColor blue; cg_crosshairColorAlt blue; echo ^4Crosshair color blue; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_red"

set crosshair_red "cg_crosshairColor red; cg_crosshairColorAlt red; echo ^1Crosshair color red; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_cyan"

set crosshair_cyan "cg_crosshairColor cyan; cg_crosshairColorAlt cyan; echo ^5Crosshair color cyan; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_lightblue"

set crosshair_lightblue "cg_crosshairColor 0xa0c0ff; cg_crosshairColorAlt 0xa0c0ff; echo ^dCrosshair color Light Blue; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_olive"

set crosshair_olive "cg_crosshairColor 0xA0FFC0; cg_crosshairColorAlt 0xA0FFC0; echo ^MCrosshair color olive; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_white"

set crosshair_white "cg_crosshairColor white; cg_crosshairColorAlt white; cg_crosshairColorAlt white; echo ^7Crosshair color White; set crosshair_color vstr crosshair_blue"

You know when you load a map and it's darker than the previous one, This is a good cycle. You can change the gamma numbers to adjust for your screens. They all are different:

// GAMMA!

// use - & + to cycle through gammas

bind KP_PLUS "vstr gup"

bind KP_MINUS "vstr gdn"

set gdn vstr gamma10

set gup vstr gamma11

set gamma00 "set r_gamma 1.9;set gdn vstr gamma10;set gup vstr gamma01;echo ^pGamma^1MIN^2========="

set gamma01 "set r_gamma 2.0;set gdn vstr gamma00;set gup vstr gamma02;echo ^pGamma^2=^1|^2=========="

set gamma02 "set r_gamma 2.1;set gdn vstr gamma01;set gup vstr gamma03;echo ^pGamma^2==^1|^2========="

set gamma03 "set r_gamma 2.2;set gdn vstr gamma02;set gup vstr gamma04;echo ^pGamma^2===^1|^2========"

set gamma04 "set r_gamma 2.3;set gdn vstr gamma03;set gup vstr gamma05;echo ^pGamma^2====^1|^2======="

set gamma05 "set r_gamma 2.4;set gdn vstr gamma04;set gup vstr gamma06;echo ^pGamma^2=====^1|^2======"

set gamma06 "set r_gamma 2.5;set gdn vstr gamma05;set gup vstr gamma07;echo ^pGamma^2======^1|^2====="

set gamma07 "set r_gamma 2.6;set gdn vstr gamma06;set gup vstr gamma08;echo ^pGamma^2=======^1|^2===="

set gamma08 "set r_gamma 2.7;set gdn vstr gamma07;set gup vstr gamma09;echo ^pGamma^2========^1|^2==="

set gamma09 "set r_gamma 2.8;set gdn vstr gamma08;set gup vstr gamma10;echo ^pGamma^2=========^1|^2=="

set gamma10 "set r_gamma 2.9;set gdn vstr gamma09;set gup vstr gamma11;echo ^pGamma^2==========^1|^2="

set gamma11 "set r_gamma 3.0;set gdn vstr gamma010;set gup vstr gamma00;echo ^pGamma^2===========^1MAX"

Any of the bound keys can be changed for ones you dont use or may be more comfortable with.

Thanks guys, for your input!

Edited by CheepHeep
Changed colour to default for easy reading on all themes
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 100 2

this bind /kills then respawns as engy smg whilst playing the alarm and writing a message to let you know you have triggered it

great for those last second defuses

bind j "class e 1; kill; echo ^1/kill'ing ^1and ^1spawning ^1as ^1engineer; play sound/world/alarm_01"

• Like 2

Will collect some additional binds such as the one provided by Mike and add it under a new heading...."Additional Binds" :P Waiting on more ideas before I edit though. Thanks for the suggestion mike.

• Like 1

Pubs are still pubs and u can only learn so much from it, real experience comes from years of playing wars on competitive level, as a pub player and someone who played wars at top level will have a huge gap in the experience level.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Pubs are still pubs and u can only learn so much from it, real experience comes from years of playing wars on competitive level, as a pub player and someone who played wars at top level will have a huge gap in the experience level.

majster

• Platinum VIP

It's true. Pubbing, I'm nothing like the player I was in scrims. Of course same players, only 6-12 on a map, map familiarity, Teamspeak, etc helped a lot (so did being 6 years younger and having better reflexes)

This is the support topic for the tutorial Wolf ET : Experienced Players.

Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

BTW, this is a dead link

• Like 1

It's true. Pubbing, I'm nothing like the player I was in scrims. Of course same players, only 6-12 on a map, map familiarity, Teamspeak, etc helped a lot (so did being 6 years younger and having better reflexes)

BTW, this is a dead link

I edited the tutorial for mikes thingy and it looks like it needs "approving" again by staff+ ....

• Like 3

I have no idea how I'm any good at this game so I suppose I don't have a ton to contribute.

Kidding... a good config and playing against players much better than me has raised my skill level exponentially. I still suck, but I suck less now :D

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP

Sounds silly but one of the things I do to improve for short periods is spec someone that's good for a bit. Seems like when I join in, I'm subconsciously emulating the person I had been speccing....until bad habits creep back in again.

under  Game Sense and Awareness

You need to add healing. Listening for Medics healing themselves or other players

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 2

Sounds silly but one of the things I do to improve for short periods is spec someone that's good for a bit. Seems like when I join in, I'm subconsciously emulating the person I had been speccing....until bad habits creep back in again.

You need to add healing. Listening for Medics healing themselves or other players

Yeah hipkat, I used to do that too! Now I'm too good. Fear me.

Any suggestions will be added at the end of each month because when I edit the tutorial, it becomes hidden until it is approved again. Thanks hippy!

• Like 1

Sound is the best wallhack available for ET, and it isn't even a hack. Many people are very noisy because they themselves do not pay attention to sounds

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...