Evening Teams Revisited

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

Once upon a time, keeping teams even in gaming meant 1 thing - same number of players on each team. If 1 team was dominant, then so be it, and the next map would get a shuffle.

Somewhere along the way, it evolved to use scores as a way to see that teams were kept even - fair enough - and easy to to do if the dominant team has more players also, players can be asked to move teams or someone put to the weaker team.

Recently, and I'm not naming anyone because that's not what this is about, I was on Jay 1, Allies had 3 less players and 200+ less points when I joined and I asked to even teams and was told by an F|A Member that teams were fine, because Axis was defending so it was OK for those teams to be as they were.  Now I've read the Wiki several times and I must have missed this so some clarity is needed here.

Ironically, in this instance, Allies won the map anyway, but that was just coincidence, because the game play was totally uneven. Someone from Allies just managed to get the objective for the win, luckily.

• Like 2

Once upon a time, keeping teams even in gaming meant 1 thing - same number of players on each team. If 1 team was dominant, then so be it, and the next map would get a shuffle.

Somewhere along the way, it evolved to use scores as a way to see that teams were kept even - fair enough - and easy to to do if the dominant team has more players also, players can be asked to move teams or someone put to the weaker team.

Recently, and I'm not naming anyone because that's not what this is about, I was on Jay 1, Allies had 3 less players and 200+ less points when I joined and I asked to even teams and was told by an F|A Member that teams were fine, because Axis was defending so it was OK for those teams to be as they were.  Now I've read the Wiki several times and I must have missed this so some clarity is needed here.

Ironically, in this instance, Allies won the map anyway, but that was just coincidence, because the game play was totally uneven. Someone from Allies just managed to get the objective for the win, luckily.

when this kind of stuff happens plz take screenshots with admins present and with scores and with tab. And use contact us to show . 

and yeah i agree alot of times admins leave it cause in some maps, its a situational, like in goldrush before the tank is repaired the allies struggle but after the tank is repaired axis will struggle and then when near the 2nd barrier allies struggle again and then after allies stole gold axis struggle. Some maps are like this we just cant ask everytime some team struggle to players to change team or balance , they shall leave. That is why sometimes admins dont say balance etc. and sometimes there are 2-3 rambos in team who makes score go really up when even they struggle as an obj team. its all on situation. better to take demo than ss..

• Like 3

Evening teams is not a black and white situation. It depends on the discretion and perspective of the person observing the server. In many cases, you might think its uneven when in actual fact they are fine and vice versa. I do agree that to some extent the number of players on each team should always be almost equal, so I would most definitely recommend someone to move if a team was 3 players down as you claimed here.

/scores, PRW and KR are all guidelines to help us determine the strength of each team. Ultimately, you need to observe how the match is progressing too. Its a very flexible thing which is why its not always easy to maintain a perfectly balanced server.

Next time you see something like this, take screenshots and record as Kari suggested, so we can determine for ourselves as well whether the teams were uneven and then act accordingly. 

:)

• Like 5

You have to use common sense as well.

If teams are stack and there is a different of scores and yet the map isn't being rushed (or blocked at first spawn for the attacking team) it's ok.

And as said above, the attacking team need to be a bit stronger than the defending team.

You have a lot of things to consider; KD, scores, timer, what's the situation on the map, what players are focused on (kill, objective etc...) . That's why the rules on the wiki (concerning keeping teams even) are just the basics, every situations are different.

Edit : Cheep beats me

Edited by Dovaah
  • Like 5

You expect even teams on FA server? Yeah that's not gonna happen.

It's obvious that scores give the most realistic representation regarding teams, and while I agree that some maps rarely get won by attackers (or defenders) when the scores are even, that is probably because there's no coördination regarding the gameplay.

Heck, I was making screenshots on the timespan of one day, and I caught like 5 admins/applicants stacking the teams, or ignoring the fact that they were off. Imagine how much most (not all) regulars care about even teams  :rolleyes: .

Antichrist said to me once:

The Great Game of ET is:

1. /Scores are even.

2. !howfair are even.

3. Timing of the gameplay are proper. Not too fast - not too slow.

4. No biching, whining, etc,, (no tb and tk)

5. Fair gameplay. No cheaters.

I found these words very wise.

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 4

to me , that say it all: 

Team stacking / shuffle
  • Clan/Trial/New members should be first to move for fixing team.
  • We have 35 sec intermission. Let people see their stats. Don't shuffle during intermission. Shuffle before warm ends. i.e. after 20 sec and before 25 sec. I normally prefer 20 sec since all have loaded maps.
  • Tell others to balance the team if any clan is stacking team. If teams are 16 - 12 ask in general chat for balance like 3-4 times. Some good people will always move. Only shuffle if no one moves after 4 mins. You can shuffle at mid game if teams are 19-12 and no one is moving. If they go back to same team to stack again after shuffle. !put name b/r saying "Stop f***ing up the shuffle."
  • If teams are 11- 13 then it's fine. You can't have always 12 vs 12 or same ratio. But if its 11-13 and one team is getting raped try to help them by moving yourself. Only players with balls will enjoy to rape rapers, rather then raping newbies.
  • Don't shuffle when their are only 5 mins remaining in the map. Do it at the warmup for the next map.
  • You can rate on Splatterladder and we respect your fun but not at the cost of stacking teams. We will admin abuse the shit out of you if you keep stacking teams just to increase your rate on SL (Splatterladder) or any other tracking site.

it s always a matter of interpretation but sometimes , things get a bit out of control , it can t always be 24-24 players with 300 - 300 scores...  always keep in mind that : trial and clan members MUST move first to even teams . 

• Like 3

Balancing teams on Jay 1 is an impossible task in my opinion.

If the server is populated with 40+ players you look at the map and the chance that the defending team will win is probably over 80% (Hotchkiss, Goldrush, Warbell, Fueldump, Minas, Operation Resurection, Marrakech Streets 2, Supply Depot 2 ( <- Take this map out PLEASE. The map is way to small for the amount of players), Venice, Oil Kombinat).

If the attacking team wins the defending team is either not caring about the obj OR the teams are unbalanced in favor of the attacker. Sounds kinda stupid but thats what I think after playing there for about 2 month.

Two maps come to my mind where I dont know if the Attacker or Defender will win. Capuzzo and Fuel Depot although I think Fuel Depot favors the defender.

• Like 1