No link between immigration and increased crime, four decades of evidence finds

CheepHeep

Cheep News

Please read this article and post your opinions on whether Trumps travel ban is warranted? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Political discussions about immigrants often include the claim that there is a relationship between immigration patterns and increased crime. However, results of a University at Buffalo-led study find no links between the two. In fact, immigration actually appears to be linked to reductions in some types of crimes, according to the findings.

"Our research shows strong and stable evidence that, on average, across U.S. metropolitan areas crime and immigration are not linked," said Robert Adelman, an associate professor of sociology at UB and the paper's lead author. "The results show that immigration does not increase assaults and, in fact, robberies, burglaries, larceny, and murder are lower in places where immigration levels are higher.

"The results are very clear."

Adelman's study with Lesley Williams Reid, University of Alabama; Gail Markle, Kennesaw State University; Charles Jaret, Georgia State University; and Saskia Weiss, an independent scholar, is published in the latest issue of the Journal of Ethnicity in Criminal Justice.

"Facts are critical in the current political environment," said Adelman. "The empirical evidence in this study and other related research shows little support for the notion that more immigrants lead to more crime."

Previous research, based on arrest and offense data, has shown that, overall, foreign-born individuals are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans, according to Adelman.

For the current study, the authors stepped back from the study of individual immigrants and instead explored whether larger scale immigration patterns in communities could be tied to increases in crime due to changes in cities, such as fewer economic opportunities or the claim that immigrants displace domestic workers from jobs.

The authors drew a sample of 200 metropolitan areas as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau and used census data and uniform crime reporting data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a 40-year period from 1970 to 2010.

"This is a study across time and across place and the evidence is clear," said Adelman. "We are not claiming that immigrants are never involved in crime. What we are explaining is that communities experiencing demographic change driven by immigration patterns do not experience significant increases in any of the kinds of crime we examined. And in many cases, crime was either stable or actually declined in communities that incorporated many immigrants."

Adelman says the relationship between immigration and crime is complex and more research needs to be done, but this research supports other scholarly conclusions that immigrants, on the whole, have a positive effect on American social and economic life.

"It's important to base our public policies on facts and evidence rather than ideologies and baseless claims that demonize particular segments of the U.S. population without any facts to back them up," said Adelman.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If this article is accurate, then I'd assume that there is no evidence to support or justify the immigration ban that Trump hopes to implement.
Innocent families and students that are probably just hoping to get a solid education or simply wanting a holiday are being denied access, why?
What is the real reason?
Is it to do with religion or is there another reason we are not being told?

What do you think? 

NOTE : I will request to have any off-topic posts removed and please guys, this is just a discussion, no need take it personally. In the end, this is how the world is, its good to have healthy discussions. so post away! :)

Here the main source:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15377938.2016.1261057

However man article won't be avaible unless you pay 42 USD for 24H.

Cheers mate and wow that is expensive. Who would pay 42 USD if you only had to wait 24hours? Anyway, I look forward to reading that report once it becomes available.

Cheers mate and wow that is expensive. Who would pay 42 USD if you only had to wait 24hours? Anyway, I look forward to reading that report once it becomes available.

This is a research, an article shared yes, but with a price, it's true to most of researches published no matter their topic, you can find similars on: nature.com, pubmed...

• Like 1

Dear Cheep, I am afraid the research is wrong. It's a great difference between Papua New Guinea and, lets say, Switzerland. Diffs in crime rate and safety index, I meant. If you'll mix population of these two countries, Switzerland from the first place goes to... 84 place, and Papua New Guinea leveled her indexes from the last positions in the world to the "middle".

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/644827/refugees-committed-crimes-Germany-migrant-crisis-last-year

• Like 2

The number of crimes by immigrants rose in comparison over 2014 to 2015 by 79 percent, the number of refugees increased at the same time by 440 percent.

Crime rose steadily in the first six months of the year but tapered of to become almost stagnant by the end of it,

Statistically speaking, it hasn't changed that much if you compare the number of migrants with the percentage of crime increase. Also, the is bound to happen with anything like this. Increase the sample size ----> increase in crime. 

The nature of the offences appears to be mostly minor: 28,712 cases of riding on public transport without paying the fare, 52,167 incidents of forging paperwork in a bid to get money, 85,035 cases of theft, mostly shoplifting - nearly double those of 2014.

This is mostly because they are desperate at this stage. They have just lost everything they had in their lives. Of course there'll be cases like this where people are trying to restore what little they have left. They are literally fighting for survival.

Look at the crimes. Unpaid bus fare? Forgery? Shoplifting? They are simply trying to get by. We should be helping them. Not kicking them out! 

There are hardly any cases of serious crime like murder or rape. 

This is taken from your source patrick. Thanks for your input mate :)

Of course Im not justifying their actions because it is still wrong but its explainable and understandable.

Our research shows strong and stable evidence that, on average, across U.S. metropolitan areas crime and immigration are not linked," said Robert Adelman

Note that it says U.S. metropolitan area :)

Sad.

The mother-of-two deported from the US to Mexico on Thursday says Donald Trump's crack down on illegal immigrants is "unfair".

Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos, who has lived in the US for more than 20 years, was issued with a deportation order in 2013, but allowed to remain under President Barack Obama's policy of leniency towards undocumented migrants who had entered the US as children.

source :http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38942191

Me I don't like Trump at all I like his wife and kids but not him just don't agree on anything he has said or done I prefer Obama in charge not him that's my 2 cents

Although classical criminological and neoclassical economic theories would predict immigration to increase crime, most empirical research shows quite the opposite.

Interesting connection :)

I didn't find the article in http://booksc.org/

If someone have access to a university library, please download and share the article here ;)

Edited by Smultronstallet

• Leader

Here the main source:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15377938.2016.1261057

However man article won't be avaible unless you pay 42 USD for 24H.

I read the first post and the first thing I did was to try to find the source site.  I can't log on via my Institution, so :

Or purchase it *

* Local tax will be added as applicable

I dont know about immigration all over the USA and other places in the world, but, where I live, last year we had 5 rapes, 4 murders, 9 child sodomy cases.

Not too bad you say.  They were all done by illegal Mexicans in a town near us with only 9,000 people in it.  It is Mexican central for the dope trade here.

So I have a real problem with illegals.

By the way, 2 of the rapists and 4 of the sodomists and one of the murderers was never caught, because we have the Mexican shuffle here too.  Don't know that

term?  The Mexican gets in trouble with the law, and goes to a certain place where they put him in an auto and smuggle him back to Mexico. 

Don't believe all the leftist bullshit you read or hear.  Try living in Texas and see their problems.  Three Mexican men in 2011 were caught after they raped and killed

an older woman on her ranch, after she offered them water.  See that news didnt make it to CNN.

• Like 2

I dont know about immigration all over the USA and other places in the world, but, where I live, last year we had 5 rapes, 4 murders, 9 child sodomy cases.

Not too bad you say.  They were all done by illegal Mexicans in a town near us with only 9,000 people in it.  It is Mexican central for the dope trade here.

So I have a real problem with illegals.

By the way, 2 of the rapists and 4 of the sodomists and one of the murderers was never caught, because we have the Mexican shuffle here too.  Don't know that

term?  The Mexican gets in trouble with the law, and goes to a certain place where they put him in an auto and smuggle him back to Mexico. 

Don't believe all the leftist bullshit you read or hear.  Try living in Texas and see their problems.  Three Mexican men in 2011 were caught after they raped and killed

an older woman on her ranch, after she offered them water.  See that news didnt make it to CNN.

There will always be people that commit crime for various reasons whether they are immigrants or citizens. You are looking at the immigrants committing crime only which id classify as "nit-picking". Might I ask how many were committed by your own citizens. What Im trying to say is, nothing is perfect, theres always going to be crazy nutjobs where ever you go but theres never been any good in banning everyone because a few people went crazy.

Yes it is unfortunate that those people were murdered and raped but by banning the innocent as well, you are basically condemning them to their own share of atrocities. Murder occurs everywhere, theft occurs everywhere. Punishments are the consequences of such actions. Why would you punish the innocent for something they havent done.

Imagine someone in your neighbour hood killed someone. Would the answer be to quarantine the whole neighbourhood and punish everyone or find the perpetrator?