What Noises Irritate you?

CheepHeep

Cheep News

As most of you are aware, my other thread I posted resulted in a lot of unnecessary hassle and stress. Therefore, I will further refrain myself from posting anything related to that field of news. 

Soooooooooo.....to change the atmosphere. I'd like to share with you another topic that may interest you! :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sound of someone slurping coffee or crunching an apple can be mildly annoying — but it leaves some people seething. These people aren’t imagining their distress, new research suggests. Anger and anxiety in response to everyday sounds of eating, drinking and breathing come from increased activity in parts of the brain that process and regulate emotions, scientists report February 2 in current biology.

People with this condition, called misophonia, are often dismissed as just overly sensitive, says Jennifer Jo Brout, a clinical psychologist not involved with the study. “This really confirms that it’s neurologically based,” says Brout, founder of the Sensory Processing and Emotion Regulation Program at Duke University Medical Center.

Researchers played sounds to 20 people with misophonia and 22 people without. Some sounds were neutral, such as rain falling. Others, like a wailing baby, were annoying to both groups of people but didn’t cause a misophonic response. A third set were sounds known to cause distress in people with misophonia — chewing and breathing noises.

MRI brain scans showed that both groups of people reacted similarly to the neutral and annoying sounds. But misophonics responded far more dramatically to the chewing and breathing. They showed more activity in their anterior insular cortex, a brain structure involved in emotional processing. Scientists found structural differences, too — more connections from the anterior insular cortex to structures like the amygdala and the hippocampus, which also help with processing emotions.

Emotional response

In response to certain specific trigger sounds such as chewing and breathing, people with misophonia showed greater activity in their anterior insular cortex, a part of the brain involved in processing emotions, than people without the condition. Response to sounds that are neutral (rain falling, for example) or generally annoying (a baby crying) were similar for both groups.

020217_LH_chewing_inline.png
S. KUMAR ET AL/CURRENT BIOLOGY 2017

People with misophonia also showed increased heart rate and skin conductivity. That’s the same sort of flight-or-fight response that gets triggered when facing a wild animal or a public speaking engagement.

Sounds most people ignore in their day-to-day listening create a very strong emotional response in misophonics, says study coauthor Sukhbinder Kumar, a cognitive neuroscientist at Newcastle University in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Their brains are ascribing extra importance to certain sounds. But it’s still unclear why only specific sounds cause a reaction.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Are you secretly mental? <3

• Leader

Therefore, I will further refrain myself from posting anything related to that field of news. 

Not necessary.  

• Like 1

grinding of teeth from my colleague (cause once u notice, it its always there)

disturbing lil sounds in my boxes when i make music.

dancing people in first row who talks loouder than my monitor boxes.

• Like 1

Loud ambulance sirens in the street (I live next to a crossroad).

Some people cannot stand the sound of nails on a chalkboard.

One sound I heard at school when I was a kid really drove me nuts : you put a knife's blade between a fork's tines and push slowly towards the handle... horrible sound :eek

• Like 1

Kids screaming their ass off...I scream back at them in my house, cant stand those loud noises, if those come all the sudden and are not necassary.

oh man..babies..in a restaurant or a plane..torture
  • Like 3

I read this before, or watched a video with this exact content. Wanted to know if it's normal to rage as much as I do when someone chews their food with open mouth or slurps soup. I guess it's normal because a lot of people can't stand it and also not normal because it's a disorder :-D

• Like 1

I read this before, or watched a video with this exact content. Wanted to know if it's normal to rage as much as I do when someone chews their food with open mouth or slurps soup. I guess it's normal because a lot of people can't stand it and also not normal because it's a disorder :-D

i just won't look at them eating..also i start slurping my soup really loud with them..haha..try it..it's funny..they're like wtf..you're slurping your soup!!
  • Like 1