Cheep Tutorials : Incubating Chicken Eggs

CheepHeep

A Guide on How to Incubate Chicken Eggs

This is a thorough guide on how to increase my chicken race in hopes to finally spread fear into the eyes of men and to finally take revenge on the flesh eating slobs that call themselves human beings.

The cute thing about chickens or any bird really is that the first thing they see, they assume is their parent. When I first hatched chicken eggs, they used to follow me around the house. Even in their adult age, they will worship you. They get upset when you leave the house. They follow you around. They sleep with you. They come running when you call his/her name. ( truth, my chickens did this ) They eat with you! STOP EATING THEM! JK they are pretty tasty though.

They are really easy to hatch actually but once hatched they require the same attention as a cat or a dog! But they are better than them in the sense that if you manage to hatch females, you get free "free ranged" eggs!

Step 1 : Buying a Suitable Incubator

Incubators are available to purchase online or at selected pet stores.

What you need to know/consider :

- Number of eggs you wish to incubate : Beginner start small ~ around 10 eggs capacity

- Success rate of incubator : some eggs will fail to hatch

- Manual / Automatic turning of eggs

- Forced Air vs. Still Air : Forced Air allows for even distribution of air, temperature and humidity

- Thermometers/ Hydrometers : monitor the temperature and humidity

- Efficiency : Incubator will be constantly on for a long period of time so consider energy usage

Step 2 : Obtaining Eggs and Choosing Breed

What you need to do :

- Choose breed of chicken you want.

- Choose suitable source to obtain FERTILE eggs :

- Only wash the eggs with warm water or with special "egg washing soap" : Protective layer gets damaged

- Ensure eggs are in perfect condition

- Allow eggs to settle for at least 12 hours if posted : Ensure insides have settled

Step 3 : Setting up incubator

What you will need to do :

- Set Temperature of the incubator (Farenheit) :

~ Forced Air : 99 - 99.5 degrees

~ Still Air : 101 - 102 degrees

- Set Humidity to 50% for the first 2 1/2 weeks then increase to 65% for the last few days.

- Place thermometer/hydrometer in a visible place inside the incubator

Step 4 : Incubation!

What you will need to do :

- Ensure temperature and humidity is steady at correct values

- Mark eggs on the top side and bottom side

- Gently place eggs inside the incubator

- After approximately 3 weeks. The eggs should hatch.

- Please read "IMPORTANT"

IMPORTANT :

- Turn over eggs 3-4 times a day! (use markings to help you turn it over accurately )

- Ensure there is proper ventilation or eggs will dry up. There should be vents in your incubator that you will need to open up eventually. ( explained in incubator manual )

- Check thermometer and hydrometer readings daily!

- Ensure you have a suitable place to put the chicks once they hatch!

- Ensure you have food and water ready once hatched.

Note : I will make a tutorial on how to handle newly born chicks and how to look after them all the way to adult stage! smile.png

Brought to you by King Chicken : Cheep Heep!

Edited by Fearless Staff
  • Like 3

Hey its good fun! I've done it a few times! It's really cool and amazing that In 3 weeks you can create life from a bloody egg! Don't hate it till you try it. I also thought It was silly before trying it but in the end it was really worth it. You learn to be more responsible.

I'm not hating it or anything in negative context, was just surprised to see such tutorial on gaming forum :D But I find it fun, and youngstersthese days could learn much from it. I myself have 3 dogs and 4 cats. Almost enough to make my own private zoo ;)

• Like 1

I'm not hating it or anything in negative context, was just surprised to see such tutorial on gaming forum :D But I find it fun, and youngstersthese days could learn much from it. I myself have 3 dogs and 4 cats. Almost enough to make my own private zoo ;)

Yeah I find pets very beneficial for children. I started to learn to incubate eggs when I was around 7 or 8 and I can positively say that I learnt many new things. Life skills. Not something you can learn from school or videos but through hands on activities.

• Like 1

wow i was just sitting here 

yesterday thinking man it would be nice

if there was a tutorial on how to

incubate eggs and look  here it is :P

Edited by D..X
  • Like 4

And as a result, tonight time to boil some eggs <3

• Like 1

I really lol'd hahaha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My pleasure. It is necessary if I wish to breed an army of chickens for my final siege in 2020.

That sounds awesome. If that happens, do you know how many KFC restaurants there will be by 2020?

• Like 1

Cheep, my mother used to make incubator by herself and it looks like this:

007.jpg008.jpg

Holy crap! That is Dope AF! Wheres your mum. I need to recruit her!

• Like 1

So how do you know those eggs fertilized..hens lay eggs fertilized or not.....oh..so you been watching them :P       how long does it take to tell roosters from hens? The size of their peckers?