Trump travel ban: Seattle judge issues nationwide block

CheepHeep

Cheep News

Not the usual kind of thing I post but nevertheless i thought it important for people to hear whats going on in the political world.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A US judge in Seattle has issued a temporary nationwide block on President Donald Trump's ban on travellers from seven mainly Muslim nations.

Federal Judge James Robart ruled against government lawyers' claims that US states did not have the standing to challenge Mr Trump's executive order.

Last week's order has led to protests and confusion at US airports. Some 60,000 visas have since been revoked.

The Justice Department now plans to file an emergency stay of the ruling.

In a statement, the White House described Mr Trump's directive as "lawful and appropriate".

"The president's order is intended to protect the homeland and he has the constitutional authority and responsibility to protect the American people," the statement said.

Mr Trump's order brought in a suspension of the US Refugee Admissions Programme for 120 days.

There is also an indefinite ban on Syrian refugees. Anyone arriving from Iraq, Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan or Yemen faces a 90-day visa suspension.

The lawsuit against President Trump's ban was initially filed by Washington state, with Minnesota joining later.

Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson has described the ban as illegal and unconstitutional, because it discriminates against people on the ground of their religion.

The ruling is a major challenge to the Trump administration, and means that nationals from the seven countries are now able - in theory - to apply for US visas, the BBC's David Willis in Washington DC reports.

The administration can also appeal against the verdict.

President Trump has argued that his directive is aimed at protecting America.

He said visas would once again be issued once "the most secure policies" were in place, and denied it was a Muslim ban.

A number of state attorney generals have said the order is unconstitutional. Several federal judges have temporarily halted the deportation of visa holders, but the Seattle ruling is the first to be applicable nationwide.

Courts in at least four other states - Virginia, New York, Massachusetts and Michigan - are hearing cases challenging Mr Trump's executive order.

Earlier on Friday, a judge in Boston declined to extend a temporary ban that prohibited the detention or removal of foreigners legally authorised to come to America.

The ban - which only applied to Massachusetts - is due to expire on 5 February.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHO IS AFFECTED?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

A US government lawyer told a Virginia court 100,000 visas had been revoked.

But the State Department said it was 60,000, once diplomatic and expired visas were taken out of the equation.

The directive - which bans people from seven mainly Muslim Middle Eastern and African countries from entering the US - has led to widespread protests.

Courts in at least five US states - Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Michigan and Washington - are hearing cases challenging the White House executive order.

The 100,000 figure emerged on Friday in a hearing at Alexandria, Virginia, for two Yemeni brothers deported after their arrival at Dulles International Airport last Saturday.

The number was cited by US Justice Department lawyer Erez Reuveni, who added that no Green Card holders had been denied US entry.

Simon Sandoval-Moshenberg, one of the plaintiffs' lawyers, said after the hearing: "There is no legal justification to cancel all these visas."

The latest reaction to the executive order included:

• The American Council on Education sent a letter signed by nearly 600 colleges and universities to Homeland Security Secretary John Kelley to express concern over the immigration order
  • Canada's provincial health minister said they have an obligation to act to help children scheduled to receive life-saving surgeries in the US who are now being turned away

The White House said on Monday that only 109 people were "slowed down" in their travel out of 325,000 people who had flown into the US since the order was given.

State Department spokesman Will Cocks said they were aware individuals who had their visas revoked would be "temporarily inconvenienced".

But he said national security was the administration's top priority when approving visas.

The State Department said it issued over 11 million immigrant and non-immigrant visas in 2015.

Several judges have granted temporary restraining orders barring US authorities from enforcing portions of Mr Trump's ban.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts?

Source : http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38864253

• Like 2

As I'm from Portugal some of these are completely not understandable for me, we don't ban anyone, we welcome refugees, and we are a pacific country, no gangs no explicit violence, although we don't have money.

I think the terrorists come in all sort of nationality and color so the best way to keep ourselves safe it's not spread hate, but spread love and try to understand that religion does not make people kill.

Hate, wars, discrimination, does.

• Like 4

Hate causes war. Hate breeds terrorists. I promise you one thing. If he trump starts banning Muslims and causing hassle for American Muslims, its going to lead to more attacks because the only motive the majority of the people have to act violently is to claim and literally fight for their rights that have been marginally taken away from them. Frustration, racism, discrimination is the reason for war, attacks and violence.

Those Muslims that carry out terrorists attacks are nutjobs. I am Muslim and strongly oppose those that think there is a valid excuse to kill or harm someone except for self defense. But because the differ in opinion? That's fkn bullcrap. Isis, alqaeda can all go to hell, the ruin the reputation of those good Muslim citizens that do their best to excel In their community.

Outrageous.

• Like 3

We're lucky there still is all the checks and balances in the USA. Put trump in any semi-authoriarian state and you're screwed. In America at least the courts, the states and the parliament can stop him here and there. Let's hope 4 years is not enough to destroy some of these institutions:). Too bad the president has so many powers in foreign policy.

• Like 1

Hate causes war. Hate breeds terrorists. I promise you one thing. If he trump starts banning Muslims and causing hassle for American Muslims, its going to lead to more attacks because the only motive the majority of the people have to act violently is to claim and literally fight for their rights that have been marginally taken away from them. Frustration, racism, discrimination is the reason for war, attacks and violence.

Those Muslims that carry out terrorists attacks are nutjobs. I am Muslim and strongly oppose those that think there is a valid excuse to kill or harm someone except for self defense. But because the differ in opinion? That's fkn bullcrap. Isis, alqaeda can all go to hell, the ruin the reputation of those good Muslim citizens that do their best to excel In their community.

Outrageous.

Spot on 100% agree with you! Terrorist organizations have no religion.

• Like 1

Spot on 100% agree with you! Terrorist organizations have no religion.

This is only my point of view, I don't want to force it to anyone:

Usually what we call terrorism is a violation of "common law" to create fear.

Isis and so on... don't you feel like it happened to western countries centuries ago? Yes, crusades... These crusades could be considered as terrorism, same for the ottoman empire when they erase lots of european population. This scene repeats itself again and again with always a main idea : religion, it's mostly in the name of god that these people kill others. Maybe the religion itself doesn't mean to butcher others (well sometimes we can read few things which aren't that nice in all of monotheist religion, no need to paste here all the things),

but for all these wars: religion was what maters to people. And even if it wasn't supposed to be, how come so many act this way in the name of religion? Must mean that there's something fishy, no?

edit: i can also add WW2 which is somehow a religious war too.

Religion was created by human after all to prevent them from going berserk and instate rules when democracy still didn't exist, but with some stuff which was created centuries ago in an outdated culture, apply this now with modern technology with weaponery and so on... It's just worst. The only things valuable to prevent this to happen over and over in these countries are: education and another system of laws, and also put an end to all who use certain parts of religion to keep people submissive.

Even if we lived in a world where religion didn't exist. There would still be wars, there would still be violence. This is because it is not religion that is the cause of this but instead it is greed, temptation, jealousy and corruption. The wealthy will still thrive and the poor will keep getting poorer with the middle class people just making enough to get by on. This is one of the main issues. There is no balance and this is where a lot of people get frustrated and angry because they feel they are being cheated, which in turn leads to unpredictable behavioural outbreaks that lead to destruction and unethical acts that bring down society.

Religion is used as an excuse to explain their actions when in actual fact it is just a facade to cover the true motive behind the violence. Religion is so easy to manipulate and cultivate to the needs and desires of a person. The people that are built upon aggression take advantage of this and explain their acts with religion when actually it is ALL politically provoked.

Also, those that are religious would know that, human beings didnt create religion, maybe the world itself but not that actual ideology behind it. Most religions would clearly say it was passed down to man from God. Obviously atheists wouldnt believe in such things and will always go back to saying it is a man-made idea that was used in the olden times to instill order, structure and a methodical way of life. This again is another debate that will never reach an answer that will satisfy either party.

• Like 2

Religion is used as an excuse to explain their actions when in actual fact it is just a facade to cover the true motive behind the violence. Religion is so easy to manipulate and cultivate to the needs and desires of a person. The people that are built upon aggression take advantage of this and explain their acts with religion when actually it is ALL politically provoked.

Also, those that are religious would know that, human beings didnt create religion, maybe the world itself but not that actual ideology behind it. Most religions would clearly say it was passed down to man from God. Obviously atheists wouldnt believe in such things and will always go back to saying it is a man-made idea that was used in the olden times to instill order, structure and a methodical way of life. This again is another debate that will never reach an answer that will satisfy either party.

Well considering human nature, even saint text is an exuse to do evil. No matter one's religion. (be it catholic, judaism, islam and so on... pretty a shame i concure especially when you know that in all 3 of these the main message is still the same => peace)

On another note your last sentence remind me of what my mom used to tell me when i was a kid (hum... we are still kids anyway :P ) : never argue about politic nor religion with others. As it might harm/bother/annoy others :) Geez, never thought that a chicken would remind me of something my parents told me once :) <3

• Like 1

Yet there is nothing that couple of nukes wouldn't fix. I'd know the targets and I think Trump does too. Question is when will the button be pushed and by who, since Trump is not the only one with trigger happy attitude.

I am really tired of this delusional bs about love and peace, since thousand of years in middle-east ppl have fought because of religion driven morons and even bigger morons who followed.

If peace is wanted, why not try to meet in a half way and close the "holy books" and not to give a single f*** to any religion...just saying.

#rantover

• Like 1

Yet there is nothing that couple of nukes wouldn't fix. I'd know the targets and I think Trump does too. Question is when will the button be pushed and by who, since Trump is not the only one with trigger happy attitude.

I am really tired of this delusional bs about love and peace, since thousand of years in middle-east ppl have fought because of religion driven morons and even bigger morons who followed.

If peace is wanted, why not try to meet in a half way and close the "holy books" and not to give a single f*** to any religion...just saying.

#rantover

Read my post. Religion isn't the cause. It's used an excuse but ultimately its not the direct cause.

Peace is something unattainable in our day and age because we are too divided.

Also what I don't get is you're are trying to achieve peace by wanting to nuke people? Sounds awfully familiar and you don't sound religious. Like I said. Religion isn't the cause.

• Like 2

So you're saying you are right and I am wrong?

There are always 2 sides and if it comes to that, those sides piss off and find out who's right, by...? Yes, fighting.

As I said in the middle east, there has been always war or other way reckless. Has there always been religious leaders to run the show?

Compare some dictator to a Trump. Does the ppl who support Trump act the way as the ones who follow dictators...There is nothing political in that imo.

So therefore a nuke does fix a problem. Civilians will die, but so does most of the radicalized ppl and the rest are then too weak to fight back.

If the numbers on the Isis or other terrorists would be low, dont you think they'd be wiped away already? Their leaders are like gods and ppl follow them so passionate that they go and blow themselfs packet with explosives...Is that not religious...

I know we could fight about this for ever, but... if one opinion is allowed and this kind of topics, is my opinion then wrong and I should stfu?

Outrageous.

im only going to add this in and then im off this topic ,, more wars have been fought in the name of God , or what ever name a group gives to its higher power , than any other cause in history , and more people have died as a result of these holy wars than any other war in history  ... the problem is that in the middle east the muslims kill each other over differences in thier practice of Islam ,,, and will continue to do so with or with out foriegn involvment .... and for all of those that think the travel ban is so wrong and unheard of ,,, well i got news for you ,,,,, the executive order that Trump signed , was word for word ,,,  WORD FOR WORD ,, the same executive order that obama signed ,,, the only difference is that trumps suspension is only half as long as obama's was ..... and for all these judges saying . ' its a denial of due process'   well 1. everyone is being vetted so that is a process right there but 2. and this is the big one ,,,,, when obama sign the N.D.A.A  ( national defense authorization act ) in 2012 , it stated that merely the acusation of being a terrorist was enough to indefinatly detain someone , with no bail , no trial , no lawyer, and no actualy charges filed ... and this applied to U.S. citizens on U.S. soil ,,, this authorization act get renewed every year and this provision remains ,,,,  where were all these judges then ? .... when obama baned iraq refugees why did none of you people who think this is so terible say anything then ????  and just a reminder to you all... imigration is not a right .... it is a privilage bestowed by each country ,, and each country can decide to grant or deny that privilage for any reason it chooses ,,, just because you want to come to america does not automatically give you the right to ,,, also ... try imigrating to switzerland,,,  oh you can go visit ,,, but try getting citizenship .... you will find it much more selective than anything america has ever used for qualifications .... and for the record ,,, im not super supportive of the travel ban either ,,, but im tired of people being hipocritical , when it was done before and no one said anything .....

• Like 1

oh yeah ... just a little fact .. for your information ,,, there is only one court , and one set of judges in this country that can overturn , or put an injunction on any federal law or executive order .....thats the supreme court ..... period ... end of discussion .... and to challenge and executive order in such a way takes aproximatly two years to be heard by the supreme court ,,,, durring obama's term in office , only 10 of his executive orders were challenged because of the time it took to do so ....and all of these judges know this ,, and if they dont they should be disbarred ... all they are doing is attention seeking and publicity grabbing ,,,, i garantee no state judge , federal or not , has the authority to affect anything on a nationwide bassis ,,