Reminder on Spam Topics

Xernicus

To all community, clan, and server members alike, I'd like to remind you about how to handle and/or respond to spambots and their topics.

We have been getting 1-3 spam topics per day lately- most of which advertise some beauty product, supplement, vitamin, exercise equipment, d*ck enlargement pill... etc. :rolleyes:
It is very important that you do not click on any links in those posts. It is also important that you do not respond, or reply to any topic created by said spam bot.

The bit about clicking on the links should be obvious. Besides phishing attempts, stolen identities, and malware, visiting these sites actually helps to pay for them. The crooks generate ad and traffic revenue this way.

But why shouldn't you even reply? There have been instances where replying to a spam topic has enabled these folks to gain access to your email address.
With that, they can look for public contacts, try to find you on Facebook, your name usually gets recorded to their database, and it puts your email account at risk of being the next one to show up on one of these databases:
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/hundreds-millions-email-accounts-hacked-traded-online-says-expert-n568491

So don't respond. There is something you can do though. Attached to the bottom of every post are four buttons. "Back to top", "Report", and the Quote functions. By clicking on the report button, and typing something like "This is a spambot" into the popup window, this notifies our Management team that there is an objectionable post or topic that should be looked into. The sooner these get reported, the sooner the accounts are banned and topics removed.

Thank you much for helping us clear the forums of spam as quickly and efficiently as possible. :wub:

• Like 9

I do this regularly (report). Good reminder Xernicus.

Claim checked, award added ;)

@bigbro some things slip past the nets, is how it works :)

• Like 2

There's an award? Okay thanks :P!

@bigbro - I sometimes look at the "number of spammers blocked" tab at the bottom if the page and notice dozens and dozens get blocked. The ones that we see posting are probably, like platonic said, slipping through the nets.

Back in the days I was camping this forum just for advertisers spam. Hell my number of posts were rapidly encreased just of reporting this. And it's kinda fun. Felt like some web termite hahaha. Never ever thought of actually opening some link. But must confess sometimes I did actuslly read the whole post before reporting it. xD But anyway, consider 'report' button as your best friend in these cases, and NO you cannot enlarge your tool (man) with some herbal tea they offer xD haha jj. Good day

• Like 4

@bigbro some things slip past the nets, is how it works :)

What? Theres rewards?! Wheres mine. Lol

• Like 1

Have a spam email related to this account and it´s hidden anyways. So I thought it´s a good idea to write "reported", so other people won´t spam higher ups with even more "reports"...

• Like 2

• Leader

Have a spam email related to this account and it´s hidden anyways. So I thought it´s a good idea to write "reported", so other people won´t spam higher ups with even more "reports"...

That helps other people to not wasted their time, if there has already been another report.  Reports on the same spam-post go to the same place, so Site-admins' time is not really wasted, just the other reporters' time.  Vanaraud's thoughtfulness reflects the spirit of our anti-spam efforts:  spam wastes readers' and admins' times. Your reports result in the spam-bots wasting their time (not that they care).

X.boom, you have dashed some fantasy-dreams, but you may have helped save some rhinos!  :)

• Like 2

That helps other people to not wasted their time, if there has already been another report.  Reports on the same spam-post go to the same place, so Site-admins' time is not really wasted, just the other reporters' time.  

But why shouldn't you even reply? There have been instances where replying to a spam topic has enabled these folks to gain access to your email address.

With that, they can look for public contacts, try to find you on Facebook, your name usually gets recorded to their database, and it puts your email account at risk of being the next one to show up on one of these databases:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/hundreds-millions-email-accounts-hacked-traded-online-says-expert-n568491

How far is this claim backed up by evidence? If it is, we should indeed encourage people not to reply to those topics but to only use the report button, and not what Redbaird stated above.

I always respond(ed) as "reported" also for the same reason...if they got my email or so, I hope they crack few "nudes" from some celeb chicks with it and save those pics in my "fileidonothave" folder :D

From the day I registred I always saw people write "reported" comment on spam topic.. Was also told to do the same by several people back than..

Doesn't the report files also like some kind of post? So if more people should report some topic it would accumulate those reports aswell?