WhatsApp will soon let you track your friends

sincity

A number of interesting new features have been spotted in the WhatsApp beta for iOS and Android recently, one of which appears to be live location tracking.

It appears that the Live Location feature will display your real-time location to those you chat to in groups using WhatsApp. The feature was spotted by Twitter user WABetaInfo, although exactly where your location will be made visible isn’t clear.

Naturally, a feature like this has the potential to raise concerns with regards to privacy. To address these concerns, the Live Location feature will be disabled until the user manually opts in via the app’s settings menu. 

Just think of all the fibs and lame excuses that could be exposed if this wasn’t the case – all those people who tell you they’re five minutes away when they haven’t left the house yet would be rumbled.

In or out

Those who don’t want to have their location constantly on display (that’ll be the majority of users we imagine), but who would find the feature useful in certain scenarios, will have the option to enable the feature for a limited window of one, two or five minutes. 

This isn’t the only interesting feature that’s been spotted in the app’s Android beta. There are also reports that we could soon see the ability to edit messages we’ve sent, as well as recall messages you wish you hadn’t sent at all. 

It would only be possible to edit or recall messages that haven’t been read, though, so you’ll still have to live with those mid-conversation regrets – at least until WhatsApp develops a memory-wiping feature.

Although these features have been spotted in the beta it’s not clear when they’ll be rolled out, or whether they’ll be rolled out exactly as they appear in the beta. 

DlWz-aynG2Q

Lol the governments tracking us isn't enough yet? Now our friends have to be able to do it too! Like really? Who would ever use that...

• Like 1

I use it quite often. Like audrey said, Whatsapp can send the location already. It is a helpful feature when you want to meet someone and you dont know exactly where you are.

Waze app (google maps alternative) takes it to the next level. You can send your friend a link where they can see how far you are away. It updates and tracks where you are. Your friend can update the view and see where you are at this second. Helps a lot when you meet up with people and you want to let them know when you are there.

Lol the governments tracking us isn't enough yet? Now our friends have to be able to do it too! Like really? Who would ever use that...

right on girl friend ....

ok know this .... im not paranoid ,, this is a fact ...any and all apps on an android device , once you have agreed to the EULA , and installed from the google play store , can activate your location , your camera , your microphone , and scroll thru your contacts, your texts , your gallery , your sd card ,,, basically everything ,,, regardless of any setting you think you set .... i have seen this for a fact ... i never activate my location on my android tablet , and unless i am actively using the internet , i disable wifi as well ,,, just simply hitting the chrome icon by  accident ,it  activated my wifi , and turned on my location setting ... so you disabling location , or anything else means nothing to the app .. i do see and agree that it is convenient is some cases , but at what price ? and the potential for some serious stalking  should at the very least make you think twice about it ... already if you have ever used your smart phone to access facebook , you have agreed to let facebook access everything on your phone , as well it wil post you location on your facebook page , that any facebook member can see regardless of thier friend status to you .. i cant possibly be the only person to see the problem with that .

• Like 2

Regarding WhatsApp, it was pretty much clear what direction they were taking since the moment they got swallowed by FB and sold their soul to the green eyed monster. I still remember the words of the Wa CEO " we will never sell your personal data..." and soon after i'm getting a notice explaining how and why in 30 days my WA number woukd be accessible and associated with my respective FB account. All this new technology is great to some extent, but imo it does more arm than good.

The video is absolutely wonderfull and spot on.

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/whatsapp-privacy-facebook/

• Like 2

i must say i am surprised , impressed , and hopeful after all the responses in this thread , i can remember not too long ago , ( a decade lol) and i would warn people about the potential dangers of FB ,,,  this was when my space was still relevent , but before it carbon copied face book ... my space at that time required no actual personal information to set up an account  , just like yahoo mail when it started out , and definatly nothing that had to be verified .... i knew as soon as FB came out ,,, and required your actual personal information and a way to verify it that it was not a good thing .... people said that i was overthinking things ,, others simply said i was paranoid,,,,,, they would say things like " why would they do that " or " thats silly ,,, they arent profiling the information " , and so on and so on ... then the CIA awarded zuckerburg the highest comendation that can be given to a civilian ,,, for creating the most profound and powerful  survalance tool ever conceived, and regardless of the movie social network , even with its excelent soundtrack ( love trent reznor) ,, it is not really that close to the actual story at all , from the begining the CIA had its hands in the cookie jar ... and  after snowden its now accpeted as fact that the NSA and all the other alphabet agentcies not only mass gather your personal data , but store it for a minimum of five years in case you run in to trouble, at that point it can be stored indefinatly... and many of the people i had talked to at parties and other events in 2006 ,,,, people that thought i was a trip , and fun to listen to , but would also say when i wasnt around  " he is crazy " , or " he needs to lay off the drugs " .. and my favorite " he is dangerously paranoid ,, he should seek psychatric help " ,,, by 2010 these same people were asking me " what was that you were saying a while back ?"  and " can you explain that thing with facebook again ... you know the crazy talk you use to talk about "   and by 2012 , it turned into " dude !!! how the hell did you know this ? ,,, " and my all time favorite is " dude ,,,, what do we do now !?"   .. so here we are .. and it just keeps getting more bizzare ,,, now tostitos is trial testing for super bowl weekend ,, a bag that is a breathalizer too ,,, and as well if it shows positive , will light up a red image and the words dont drink and drive ,,, but the best part is you can just bring your smart phone next to the bag and it will trigger your phone to call uber and give you a 10$ coupon ,,, how thoughtful .... but what if you gave a drunk friend a ride home like a good friend should  ,, and they happen to have the munchies ,, and you are kind enough to let them eat chips in your car ( totally bad idea even if they were sober) ... they finish the bag or not ,,, either way they leave it in your car ,,, like in the back seat .... now you are on your way home ,,, your car has a slight smell of drunk person .. since they just rode in your car ,,, and ut oh ,, a routine trafic stop ... the cop sort of smells the trace of your friend but sees the chip bag with a possitive reading ... ok you can take it from here  .... no matter what its going to be a hassle.....now consider the info meta data profile when your phone basically tells uber you are too drunk to drive and you are not at home ..  but oh yeah it knows exactly where you are ... now it might alert local authorities that you are drunk in public...... its not as far fetched as you may think lol ... ok im done for now ... and thank you for your attention =)

• Like 2

technology pushes the edge.

- Without GPS we would still run around with paper maps, trying to find the restaurant we want to meet our friend.

- Without contacts and social media apps we would not get the information we get today.

It is like elvis in the mid 50'ties. You can be the young rebel that loves the new music or you can be the scared parent bitching about it.

don't be the scared parent...

one thing is certain, you cant stop evolution, nor can you stop new technologies (progress)

• Like 1