com_hunkmegs

Lenovo

Hello everyone, I got a question, does anyone know the right amount, and the diversity of the command: com_hunkmegs ?, default is 56 which of course is short, this doubt I have always had of quake 3 and RTCW with previous computers of course we had little ram years ago, I have always used a 128 or 256 ever + , now I have a laptop with i5 2520M @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz the video card is integrated with 512MB and I'm using com_hunkmegs 256, do you think you could get up? example to 512?

/seta com_hunkMegs

Values example: 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 (of course it can be between them, higher or less also)

Note:
Don’t use more than 3/4 (75%) of your actual memory in your computer.
Usually 256 or 512 is fairly enough, even for the most complex enemy territory map graphics.

• Like 1

I wouldn't advise to go under 192/256 since some maps might require a hunkmegs increased with as consequence if you don't do so, to trigger a message of error and not allow the player joining the server.

Also, I suggest to set the soundmegs between 32 and 128. Soundmegs increased can help with lag spikes caused by all kind of sounds in game. And to set zonemegs on one of these values 32/48/64.. Mainly used for the render of maps, a zonemegs increased can help when the server is crowded and decreases the load time.

My settings:

hunkmegs=192

soundmegs=128

zonemegs=64

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 3

I wouldn't advise to go under 192/256 since some maps might require a hunkmegs increased with as consequence if you don't do so, to trigger a message of error and not allow the player joining the server.

Also, I suggest to set the soundmegs between 32 and 128. Soundmegs increased can help with lag spikes caused by all kind of sounds in game. And to set zonemegs on one of these values 32/48/64.. Mainly used for the render of maps, a zonemegs increased can help when the server is crowded and decreases the load time.

My settings:

hunkmegs=192

soundmegs=128

zonemegs=64

as soon as I have time I try with these settings

com_hunkmegs 512

Silk com_soundMegs "64"

Silk com_zoneMegs "64"

You can also increase the page filing on your computer to use your hard drive space as RAM for background services if your computer is slow. Manually adding space to page filing will decrease the load times as well. But I suggest not to do this if your computer has less then 256mbs of hd space for VR memory to store data. Currently windows by default is set to programs to start up faster this isn't that important but for high RAM games that have a file size of 60gb or downloads of more then 2gbs like for Steam Games and Origin games.

It's in the "control panel" in advance settings. In Windows 10 same method for other systems as well. It's in the system on the left side says Advance System Settings. Click on the advance tab in system properties then click settings in Performance. There click on the advance tab then change the Processor Schedule to Background Services then click on change in the Virtual Memory there is two actual ways to process this to the HD one is to Manually insert a count of megabytes that can be used from the free space of the hard drive or to set it to system manage which the hard drive is calculated automatically by the system. If you leave the Box checked for Automatic Page filing on the top it will continue to use the standard RAM size of the chipsets not the space of the HD.

I jump back and forth on this cause I use Visual Studio RC17 and GTK Radiant 1.6.5 sometimes faster loading of programs I've made or working on but most of the time when I turn games on I just switch accounts on Windows. I think I said this correct it's not really a big thing these days with the better chip sets that are out but back in the day this was the way to speed things up a bit as well but if your pc is like 2-3 years old yeah this would help a bit.

As for the com_hunkmegs this game has a limit for one is the game executable has 256mbs of data running at regular when it is open the best practice to edit this would be to just set it to 512 and forget it not really going to change the process speed of the game it self unless you set the system to write the data to the system to render more frequently. Having Automatic enabled even with hunkmegs turned up the system will only store data but for so long like in map changing the data from the switch after a while will be zero'd out in the Ram when Automatic Page Filing is enabled for Program it just does. Only reason Im offering this advice. It's technically not a good thing to mess with the system settings if your unsure of what your doing but if you set it to manual or system manage it should be ok unless you know how to calculate your hard drive space it's just based on the free space of the HD it self if you set it manually just don't go over 3/4 of the actual free space or no less then 1gb left for programs. Hope this helps or in this case this image helps.

Also this will fix any problems with larger games that exceed the Max Memory Threshold or in cases a error where the system runs out of VR memory and the game shuts down I do know that Grand Theft Auto wont play with out setting the memory to system manage.

2mczmoo.jpg

• Like 1

I played some maps with com_hunkmegs 512 com_soundmegs 64 com_zonemegs 64 and I must say that the game is much more 'fluid also the gunshot + light in his movements, as if it were just installed OS and ET

Edited by JirenTV

• Clan Friend

I played some maps with com_hunkmegs 512 com_soundmegs 64 com_zonemegs 64 and I must say that the game is much more 'fluid also the gunshot + light in his movements, as if it were just installed OS and ET

com_hunkmegs 512 is a bit overkill... è un'esagerazione :)

if you want to know how much you are using, you need to type the command /meminfo during a game, and check 'total hunk in use'. You will see how much you need.

• Like 2

com_hunkmegs 512 is a bit overkill... è un'esagerazione :)

if you want to know how much you are using, you need to type the command /meminfo during a game, and check 'total hunk in use'. You will see how much you need.

\meminfo

536870912 bytes (512.00 MB) total hunk

25165824 bytes ( 24.00 MB) total zone

0 bytes (  0.00 MB) low mark

3595680 bytes (  3.43 MB) low permanent

3677920 bytes (  3.51 MB) low temp

19621636 bytes ( 18.71 MB) low tempHighwater

0 bytes (  0.00 MB) high mark

36820512 bytes ( 35.11 MB) high permanent

4145208 bytes (  3.95 MB) high tempHighwater

40416192 bytes ( 38.54 MB) total hunk in use

16025956 bytes ( 15.28 MB) unused highwater

3062220 bytes (  2.92 MB) in 4068 zone blocks

0 bytes (  0.00 MB) in dynamic botlib

1547248 bytes (  1.48 MB) in dynamic renderer

1514972 bytes (  1.44 MB) in dynamic other

87688 bytes (  0.08 MB) in small Zone memory

this is my usage  total 145.45 MB

Edited by JirenTV

you can use com_hunkused will show in bytes convert to mb 

with pc's these days doesn't really make much difference most come with 1-2 gb or ram by default now wouldn't hurt to set it to 512 if your only using this application I personally never had hunk_allocated issues and etlegacy is set by default to 256

• Clan Friend

40416192 bytes ( 38.54 MB) total hunk in use

You use 38.5 mb. That is the only line you need to read. I don't know if you did the command while playing or in the main screen, obviously in the main screen it will show less.

• Like 1

Don't need, or can utilize, more than 256 hunkmegs, 64 zonemegs, and (presuming one uses 44khz "ultra high" settings) 96 soundmegs.

in the task manager, but I see a use of ET 330 mb

If You write a console command open..."without value", It will show ET's default value.

I believe /com_hunkmegs is 56( I always use "192" ) and 128 for com_zonemegs.