Request to change shuffle script on Hardcore server.

gamestate

Hello.  The way that current shuffle works is that the players are shuffled by KR with Axis always having the first pick.  PRW is a much better indicator of whether or not a player is going to win the map and therefore a better indicator of even teams.  As far as I can tell KR is a distance/player KR calculation where the closer you are to the enemy and the higher the enemy's KR is, the more your KR goes up.  This is a good indicator for how aggressive a player can be, but not really their overall winning ability.  PRW, on the other hand, is pure winning percentage and if the teams were to be shuffled by PRW, the teams would be a lot more even.  

Second issue is that Axis always get first pick, so the person with the highest KR always ends up on axis and this can become tiresome for those with high KR.

So my request is as follows:

1. Change the shuffle script to shuffle player PRW.
  2. Randomize or cycle which team gets the first pick.

Thank you.

Oh woops.  I might have posted this in the wrong section.  Maybe an admin can move it.

Edited by gamestate
  • Like 3

I disagree. You will obtain some extremely odd teams when you base it on PRW. I can't wait until the screenshots of 17.0 KR differences start showing up on the forum, haha.

Second issue is that Axis always get first pick, so the person with the highest KR always ends up on axis and this can become tiresome for those with high KR.

Ah, the number of times that I asked for this back when i was good xD

I disagree. You will obtain some extremely odd teams when you base it on PRW. I can't wait until the screenshots of 17.0 KR differences start showing up on the forum, haha.

Why would that matter if at the end of the day what matters is if the map is won.  The issue I see is that KR can be... manipulated.  I can have a negative kill/death ratio and still go up in KR by a few hundreds of a point.  All you have to do to have high KR is kill up close and die far away.  It's not even a good indicator of how well you can shoot.  I have achieved a high KR since I love to stab people, but stabbing people does not mean that you are useful to your team or that you will win the map.  So to me, KR means almost nothing.  There are plenty of people who are better than I am and have much lower KR, but if you look at their PRW it will be as good or better than mine.  At the end of the day to me the fun is winning the map, not how close I can get to the enemy to kill them.  What if you're a beast sniper or mortar?  What if you're really good at flanking people with artillery or airstrikes?  Should that not be considered?

• Like 2

Please elaborate on why this would occur? I highly doubt there are going to be many low KDR players with significantly high PRWs. PRW is quite proportional to KDR with a few exceptions of course. Technically, the outcome of the shuffle based on PRW shouldn't differ too much in comparison to shuffle by KDR. What I hypothesise is that there would be the odd player or two placed on a different team which may have a considerable effect on the outcome of the match. The main goal of ET is to win the matches played not see who gets the most kills so naturally I'd assume it would be more appropriate to have it based on PRW. Again, this all opinion. Ultimately, the only way to see if it does make a difference is to try it. A week or two should suffice. There's no harm and if it doesn't work then change it back but if it does.......

Randomizing the first pick is a good idea.

Without randomized picks for the allies or axis team, basing shuffle on PRW would annoy another person. And then they would come here about PRW shuffle script and ask it to be changed for KR;)

EDIT: basing teams on PRW would mean everyone there is going to be for obj, most of us are not.

Please elaborate on why this would occur? I highly doubt there are going to be many low KDR players with significantly high PRWs. PRW is quite proportional to KDR with a few exceptions of course. Technically, the outcome of the shuffle based on PRW shouldn't differ too much in comparison to shuffle by KDR. What I hypothesise is that there would be the odd player or two placed on a different team which may have a considerable effect on the outcome of the match. The main goal of ET is to win the matches played not see who gets the most kills so naturally I'd assume it would be more appropriate to have it based on PRW. Again, this all opinion. Ultimately, the only way to see if it does make a difference is to try it. A week or two should suffice. There's no harm and if it doesn't work then change it back but if it does.......

Surely you've met _____, THEOBJMASTER, Noobcat, me, RDM-TAG and more with the same playstyle on Hardcore? Noobcat would sport a 0.8 KR and be MVP all day erryday =P

/e Ok I might not be the best example since switching to even teams 15 times a match has made my PRW an utter mess, but you get the idea.

Edited by Flible

Surely you've met _____, THEOBJMASTER, Noobcat, me, RDM-TAG and more with the same playstyle on Hardcore? Noobcat would sport a 0.8 KR and be MVP all day erryday =P

/e Ok I might not be the best example since switching to even teams 15 times a match has made my PRW an utter mess, but you get the idea.

I understand that there'll be exceptions but not nearly enough to cause a 17kdr difference as you may foresee, or anything close to this number. I think we should try it and see what happens. You may be right. Only one way to find out