Which are the longest words in your native language? :)

As you can see: there is such a word :)

It's interesting to see that it contains a few English words :) : miniatuur vakantie brochure coupon

Vakantie for vacancy ? Or maybe it means holiday ?

Actually these words come from old French : miniature, vacance, brochure, coupon.. 60% of English words come from Old French (because of the the battle of Hastings).

It's interesting to see that it contains a few English words :) : miniatuur vakantie brochure coupon

Actually these words come from old French : miniature, vacance, brochure, coupon.. 60% of English words come from Old French (because of the the battle of Hastings).

The Dutch are so lazy and cheap that we would steal from other languages just so we can assemble our own fancy word.

Vakantie equals both the english holiday (time off of work) and the english vacation (a trip to a fancy place, usually sun is involved). Don't worry, we trip over our own words all the time. Nobody knows which one we mean when we use it in a sentence.

Dutch. Nobody understands how or why.  :mellow:

• Like 1

The longest word in French is "anticonstitutionnellement" which simply means "anticonstitutionally".

Prefixes anti- and con-

Verbal root sto- (to stand)

Suffixes : -nel and +ment

Almost :P

But truth be told it's this: "Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobie" (phobie du nombre 666) => fear of the number 666

29 letters for this french word :/

(well at first i also thought that it was "anticonstitutionnellement", and it's true this word is being used way more often than "hexakosioihexekontahexaphobie" :) => i love Google for helping me out! )

Due to shared origin, it is very difficult to tell when all words came from Latin or from the French that came from the Latin. It is likely to be much less than 60 percent though, estimates suggest half that.

Almost :P

But truth be told it's this: "Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobie" (phobie du nombre 666) => fear of the number 666

29 letters for this french word :/

(well at first i also thought that it was "anticonstitutionnellement", and it's true this word is being used way more often than "hexakosioihexekontahexaphobie" :) => i love Google for helping me out! )

You are actually right !!! Congrats B)

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/hexakosioihexekontahexaphobie

Due to shared origin, it is very difficult to tell when all words came from Latin or from the French that came from the Latin. It is likely to be much less than 60 percent though, estimates suggest half that.

You're absolutely right and thanks for the comment. I should have said 60% of modern English word come from Latin, half of which come from Old French.

• 1 year later...

In Hungarian we have pretty long words, though these are virtually unexistent in RL.

eltöredezettségmentesítőtlenítetthetetlenségtelenítőtlenkedhetnétek (67 character) - this words is formed by artificially putting affixes around a by itself relatively long word. By myself I couldnt really explain whats this words is about :P

ezerkilencszázkilencvenkilenc is the longest word without affix, hyphen. Its just a number, 1999, so its in use (29 characters)

legeslegmegkérdőjelezhetetlenebbjeitekéiből is the longest word with affix, without hyphen. Its about people being unquestionable, to put it simple (43 characters)

fosszilisdinoszauruszhányásvilágranglista-megdöntés is the longest word without affix, with hyphen. Its just a word created to make a record of the longest words (50 characters)

folyamatellenőrzésiügyosztályvezetőhelyettesképesítésvizsgálat-szervezéseitekkel is the longest word with affix, hyphen. Its about process monitoring, in simple. (79 characters)

Though, Hungarian does not stop there, in fact Hungarian words can be as long as someone pleases (and knows hot to do it correctly, but there is way)

összetettszóhosszúságvilágrekorddöntéskényszerneurózistünetegyüttes-megnyilvánulásfejleszthetőségvizsgálatszervezésellenőrzésiügyosztály-létszámleépítésellenesakciócsoporttagságiigazolványmegújításikérelem-elutasítóhatározatgyűjteményértékesítőnagyvállalatátalakításutó-finanszírozáspályázatelbírálóalapítványkuratóriumelnökhelyettesellenes-merényletkivizsgálóbizottságiüléselnapolásiindítványbenyújtásiforma-nyomtatványkitöltögetésellenőrizhetőség-próba

Is one word with its monstrous 447 characters. Its a word created simply to be the longest one, however, it is possible to generate much-much longer ones.

If you asked Hungarians on the street which is the longest Hungarian word, they would probaly say either these two: megszentségtelenítéseitekért or elkelkáposztástalaníthatatlan. Both are like impossible to use meaninglessly in a text, but Hungarians can somewhat undesrtand these.

• Leader

In Slovenian language is the longest word -->   dialéktičnomaterialístičen (25 characters)  dont know how to translate in english:  dialecticmaterialistic or something like that :)

That looks like it should mean the English "dialectic materialism ", but when I put those words into the translator and asked for Slovenian, it returned "dialektični materializem" .

When I put " dialéktičnomaterialístičen " into Google Translate, it said that the language was Sudanese !!! When I chose "Slovenian" instead, it rendered the translation to English as "dialectic material material".  

Maybe you should go there and "suggest a better translation".  :D

Longest word published in our dictionary: "Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis" describes "a disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs." THANKS SCIENCE! ;)

• Like 2