Help, UEFI vs Linux

Papito

Hello.

I'm trying to install a Linux Distro in my new PC, I've installed first Win10 x64(because the USB 3.0 couldn't install Win7), I've read a lot about UEFI BIOS protection, but I can't really find the way to disable it into my Mobo Gigabyte H110M, and can't find a way to make it work, I've searched alot on forums or google, so, if any of you guys know how, please tell me, I'm kinda desperate.

Thanks in advance.

Uhmm what distro you are trying to install?

I think there are distro's that support secure boot and UEFI.

And if you really want to install some distro that doesn't support UEFI boot yet,

maybe you can add a signing key to the UEFI firmware?

Check the Ubuntu wiki : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/SecureBoot

• Like 1

Im trying to install Deepin, and it's supposed to support UEFI, I'll try with Ubuntu.

I could Install it, but with only 1 partition, into / i cant do more partitions for swap and /home, just simply cant give format the HDD.

BTW the grub doesnt recognize Win10

Hey man, long time no see!

Alright, I doubt that UEFI (the "new" BIOS) is the problem, rather I have a hunch that the problem would be Secure Boot.
I will check the Gigabyte wiki; I have GB mobo, but it's an AMD chipset.

I see that you were able to install Ubuntu though. Could you tell me which method of installation you used (Ubuntu on Windows (exe), Live media, or install media)?

Can you see different partitions or "disks" in the left-hand sidebar of the file manager? (besides Linux partitions ie: "/" "/home" "/swap")

If you can't...
Now it's been a long while since I've used Ubuntu, but if you type in "Hard Disk" into the Unity search bar, I believe you should be able to access the "disk properties", or something along those lines. That should give you information about all of the partitions on your system. We're checking this to make sure your Windows installation is still intact, as I presume that is where you have have documents.

I am curious as to what exactly type of system you are trying to get running here though, like I dunno if you're trying to dual-boot, or have an all linux system, etc...

• Like 1

I made it, I've installed Linux Mint 18, got some problems with Grub, but I could fix it, now I can boot Linux and Windows, thank you for your effort.

/Solved

• Like 2

Cool, cool. Good to hear :D

Feel free to make another topic or PM one of us if you run into another issue or have a question.
I've used Linux for 11 years now, though for the most part I have preferred Red Hat/Fedora. I now use Chakra (Arch) and/or Kali (Debian) for the most part.

Congrats on solving the grub issue! GRUB can be a real problem to some users.

• Like 1

Hey Papi :3
I am curious as to whether or not you were able to transfer/recover all of your old data. I am happy to hear that you managed to get a linux installation that works for you.

I may give some cryptic info... but I have used Windows/Mac OS for 20 years, and Linux for 10. I'll try my best to give information to you that is not only for IT inclined folks.

If you could not recover your data, depending on how much you have installed....... I can help you recover your past files from Windows.

• Like 1

@Xernicus I dont lost anything, I've got 3 HDD: 1Tb, 1Tb and 500Gb, everyone with partitions, OS are into the 500Gb HDD, and the most important files in the others HDD, so I can mess with the Main HDD and I will not lost anything important.

Thanks and I'll consider it for the future.