To Build A Computer - Community Project!

-=HipKat=-

So I've decided, I'm going to do a new build, part by part, buying what I can when I can so it'll take time to get everything. I'd appreciate you input, you experts, and ideas. So the first thing I'm looking at is cases. Here are the 2 I've narrowed it down to. This should give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for. Tell me what you think of these or if you have better ideas.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GN5IKA8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FMUD48ZGUZ51&coliid=IB0Y1VKQME58C&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019JKM1RG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3FMUD48ZGUZ51&coliid=I3CBHMV24VIWZD

Here is my finished build HIPKAT and how it stacked up when I tested it on  www.userbenchmarks.com

I couldn't be happier with the setup, super fast, loving it, now if only I had a faster internet connection.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K - 111.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 - 133.3%
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - 120.3%
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 

• Like 1

very balanced build. nice! May i ask how much you paid?

• Like 2

Dont forget a cooler for the CPU. the i7-6700k and i5-6600k don't come with a stock one.

Like jobba said: Cooler Master Hyper 212

I'm actually looking to upgrade my MOBO and CPU and I might buy the i7-6700k + Asus Z170-A + DDR4 16GB (Corsair vengeance lpx) + the cpu cooler.

Your 2nd build is pretty much this hahaha. I already own a GTX 970 tho

PICS WHEN YOU BUILD OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

• Like 1

PICS WHEN YOU BUILD OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

Hahaha, I actually bought it. I have everything except the CPU which should arrive next week.

I'll take a pic for you whenever I get around to building it. :P

• Like 1

very balanced build. nice! May i ask how much you paid?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K -  ---------------------------------------------   219.99
HYPER 212 EVO    -----------------------------------------------------    29.99
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 --------------------------------------------------------------    439.99
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB ---------------------------------------------------    89.39
SSD TRAY MOUNT ---------------------------------------------------------------------     6.99
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB ------------------------------------------   USED FROM OLD COMPUTER
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB -----------------------------   84.89
MBD: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ------------------------------------------------------   144.99  -- 10$ MAIL IN REBATE AVAILABLE  **I havent done it yet but need to
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2 -----------------------------------------------------   99.99
CASE:  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  USED FROM OLD COMPUTER

ALSO bought a new mousepad and a new monitor about 2 months ago...  
mouse pad -----  21.47    
monitor 144hz 24" 1ms ----- 209.99

So all said and done I just invested  $1347.68 into my system ---   without the monitor or mouse pad $1116.22
Got everything with free shipping also through Amazon or NEWEGG --- everything brand new

Like I said I just invested 1347.68 into my computer because for what I do on the computer I'll be set for many years with this setup.
Heck I'm thinking about just buying a used case or a cheap case and putting all my old computer parts into it so I have a second computer! All I'd need to get is a Hard Drive and the case obviously and I'd be up and running.

GOOD LUCK HIPKAT!!

******HIPKAT******* Yeah some guys are combining high moisture corn for feed. Everything is turning pretty quickly now and guys are talking by the end of the month to get started! Once they start, Its a marathon sprint for a month - 2 months as they try to get it all done before the snow!!! So next few months be very busy with the harvest!
  • Like 2

• Platinum VIP

That's what I'm gonna do with my old computer. Reformat the C Drive, install the OS and basic programs and let my kids have something to use when they're here.

I had a farmer tell me a lot of crops are down below 15-18% moisture already! And the beans! My God, they're as tall as I am! I hope the market for beans is good this season because it's a banner year for beans!

Edited by -=HipKat=-
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you've already bought it or if anyone's said anything about it but AFAIK 3TB HDDs have the highest failure rates out of any other ones. Just a little heads up.

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

Haven't bought anything yet. Since I fixed my overheating problem on my computer, there's less urgency, so I'm saving money to build something really sweet. Thanks for the heads up

• Like 1

we

Haven't bought anything yet. Since I fixed my overheating problem on my computer, there's less urgency, so I'm saving money to build something really sweet. Thanks for the heads up

Good.  ;^)  Take your time with the build and really think about the components as carefully as you can.  I've built three computers and have learned so much in the process.

It may be obvious but just in case, I always check compatibility of each component.  Meaning will they place nice with each other or are they prone to have weird issues with one another.

Now with so many sites that kind of take the guess work out of it, It is super simple to get all parts that will play nice with each other.  I've used "PC Part Picker" in the past with good results. Could save you some money in the long run.  Just my two cents.Good Luck!

• Like 1