Looking to buy a new laptop for ET is this one ok?

yogurtplay

I have about 900 dollars to spend so far, I'm willing to wait and spend more for a good laptop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-7559-Intel-Quad-Core-i7-6700HQ-4K-UHD-Touch-4GB-GTX-960M-8GB-1TB-Hybrid-/322198835448?hash=item4b048c10f8:g:IrYAAOSw5IJWd3Ka

Is this one good for my buck? I'd be willing to spend more... but I'm also sort of excited to buy one now. I know some people will always have state of the art , but will this be enough to keep up with most gamers that play ET and to play any newer title I wish? Thanks 

I can also afford something like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Inspiron-15-7000-i7559-Gaming-Laptop-i7-6700HQ-8GB-1TB-SSHD-GTX-960M-1080p/152023310714?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38618%26meid%3D8e6b8e01659f4b47bc4d9667eb8c1093%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D322198835448

But I have no idea what I'm looking at...

Edited by yogurtplay

You can't go wrong with any of those two, although I personally would never buy a laptop for gaming. The reason is - laptops are not that easy to upgrade or replace parts if something goes wrong (beside smaller monitor). This is much easier with PC. Also, laptops are harder to customize, and I like to do that with my PC. Recently I noticed my box is getting hotter than usual, so I spent some money on coolers. Temperature of CPU/GPU now is never above 55 degrees, which is I think very good result. The cost of it was 70€ (both coolers), but considering that my computer is now actually cooling my room, is something I appreciate very much in hot summer days! :D

However, if upgrading/customizing your PC is of no interest to you, and you must be mobile, laptop is OK. In general, any laptop with external GPU produced in a few last years will suffice for ET. For TOP10 FPS games, you will need something like you suggested here - i7, 8GB RAM, SSD or hybrid HDD and a VGA card priced above 200$ with min. 2GB DDR5 RAM. And even then, don't hope for playing on max settings! :P

• Like 3

You can't go wrong with any of those two, although I personally would never buy a laptop for gaming. The reason is - laptops are not that easy to upgrade or replace parts if something goes wrong (beside smaller monitor). This is much easier with PC. Also, laptops are harder to customize, and I like to do that with my PC. Recently I noticed my box is getting hotter than usual, so I spent some money on coolers. Temperature of CPU/GPU now is never above 55 degrees, which is I think very good result. The cost of it was 70€ (both coolers), but considering that my computer is now actually cooling my room, is something I appreciate very much in hot summer days!

However, if upgrading/customizing your PC is of no interest to you, and you must be mobile, laptop is OK. In general, any laptop with external GPU produced in a few last years will suffice for ET. For TOP10 FPS games, you will need something like you suggested here - i7, 8GB RAM, SSD or hybrid HDD and a VGA card priced above 200$ with min. 2GB DDR5 RAM. And even then, don't hope for playing on max settings! :P

Nuuuuuh....

Gaming laptops are a thing.. with upgradeable parts...  some with customization  options... some now with liquid cooling. <_< They may not be as powerful when compared to a pc of equal specs... but they are more than great for gaming. Laptops built for gaming have had major advancements in the lap 10 years that make them a completely great option for gamers on the go... instead of being tethered in doors. <.<

My little love bug plays gta v at nearly 60fps constantly... and I now have a secondary monitor for multitasking. It came with a bay for a 2nd harddrive, options to upgrade ram... and with a little work I can replace the gfx or cpu if I really need to ^.^

You also dont need i7... <_< maybe if you want ultra gfx... but for serious fps gains and better visuals in mp  shooters.. you want to turn off a lot of gfx  stuff anyway. Most custom config make games look ugly for the best results. :P

In the end it's about personal preference and what you are looking to do... gaming laptops are an amazing alternative to desktops these days. It's time to break the stigma that lappys aren't great for gaming!

The laptops above are both great! I have had inspiron before and it was adequate... but that wasn't really a gaming lappy. This one looks much better. Other alternatives are Asus and Msi... both make nice rigs for gaming. But... might be more money..

• Like 2

Well I bought one :D I'm trusting the girl, but I have always believed that laptops weren't meant for gaming, but I've retired using big clunky PCS even if they make better gaming rigs. :D 

Hopefully I get something out of my investment. It was only about 2-3 weeks of work so it's not that much money. And yes... I've been thinking the entire time that I will save my config and run ET with the shittiest settings possible. 

I agree with both posters, with as little as I know about gaming. I figure this will help improve my gaming experience regardless, even if it's not the best, ideal choice. I figure it's still a pretty decent computer. 

Edited by yogurtplay

This is what I bought. If not for ET then I have two computers now. A macbook and a laptop that I probably won't use often unless I want to play video games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152023310714?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Well, if you get once tired of it, send it to me :P

Good buy, wish I could afford me one :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am not only able to play Witcher 3 on ultra quality... But, I also was able to play the game while running Adobe After Effects, rendering a 118 GB video project. It's not a bad machine, especially for a laptop. I'm impressed with it.

Given that, it doesn't really improve my ET game any. I want to copy over my ET install onto it, when I find my external drive. 

Edited by yogurtplay

I'm posting this in two different places. I love this laptop so far , it does preform well but haha I'm already considering helping it along a little more. It's great and if I played games on High or Medium settings it would run longer... It already runs smooth on Ultra, to Very High gaming settings. I can max most games out but I'd like to go longer.... or put less stress on my laptop. 

I can play Witcher 3 in highest quality basically most the day. But Rise of Tomb Raider, maxed out... I can only play for a few hours... 

That's fine, I enjoy my PC but I'd like for it to be a little less stressed out. This is the modern age, you can easily modify , boost laptops now. I'd like to either update my graphics card if possible or use an Alien ware Graphics amplifier. If I can't make updates to my laptop... Can I? Then what card should I get for the amplifier? 

I'm happy with my laptop, as far as laptiops go it really does preform well. I have everything maxed out, so there is stress over time , where I can no longer play games in there highest quality without lagging, stressing my PC. 

So I see two options, upgrade periodically or get the alien ware graphics amplifier. Both seem valid to me. I'm told that with an Alien ware Graphics amplifier you increase the life of a laptop and it's upgrades, performance. I'm willing to put in the money for the amplifier. Thanks... I'm also willing to upgrade my laptop if upgrades are possible without buying a new laptop or major internal components. 

I know that PC gaming is an expensive hobby, but as a Graphic Designer, artist... I've realized just how much I love Graphics playing these two games in their maximum settings. I love CGI... I never realized how much before. It's my thing, the thing I spend money on. Yes, it's expensive but it's not like I'm spending 1000s of dollars. The PC cost about 1000, that's the first payment... the rest I'd plan on spending a few 100 here and there, nothing to really break the bank... just something I spend money on... "my thing..." 

Fully Loaded with Dedicated Graphics 

Color: Black with red accents 

Specifications: 

15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display 

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)] 

8GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx1) 

1TB 5.4k Hybrid HDD + 8G Cache [1TB 5400 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive + 8GB Embedded Flash Cache] 

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5 

Internal Single Pointing Backlit Keyboard, English 

Intel® 3165AC + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1] 

802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1 

74WHr, 6-C (Int) [74 WHr, 6-Cell Battery (Integrated)] 

130 Watt AC Adaptor 

Energy Star Compliant 

Windows 10 Home 64-bit English 

Optimum performance for gaming, surfing and everything else. 
Multi-tasking processing: With 6th Gen Intel® i5 and i7 Quad-Core processors, you’ll have all the power you need to enjoy both gaming and entertainment. 

Stream and re-stream videos: The NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M is your performance-class graphics card with 4GB GDDR5 discrete memory. This graphics powerhouse gives you high frame-per-second rates in games and accelerates video editing and transcoding. 

Primed to play: Choose from multiple hard drive options, including a 1TB HDD dual drive and a 128GB solid-state drive for plenty of storage, stability and responsive performance. 

Marathon battery life: With a 6-cell 74Whr
Update: thermal cooling design was built to handle our highest-performance processors and graphics. The two cooling fans, three exhausts and large vents with 240 thermal fins all work together so you can experience uninterrupted gaming and smooth streaming, all while your system and palm rest stay cool.
Update 2: I want to get an Alienware Graphic Amplifier to make my computer last a few more years and be a little more update-able. 

http://www.dell.com/...=en&s=dhs&cs=19