Question regarding switchin harddrives

Vetter2003

Ok as some of you know I'm upgrading my computer, new motherboard, cpu, ramm, and ssd. Originally I was only getting new motherboard, cpu, and ramm. Now I was under the impression that I would be able to install new components and then fire the computer up and be good. *correct me if I was wrong in assuming that*

But now I'm getting a new harddrive how do I go about transferring my OS from my old hard drive to the new one? This is all new territory that I'm venturing into so help is needed.

I'd say you're wrong about assuming that. It depends on your OS, but generally, none of them like to be transferred from one system to a completely new one. With Windows, you will probably get a BSOD. You could boot into a portable environment and change a bunch of files, but it's simply not worth the time, effort, or expertise required to do it.

If it were just your hard drive, than yeah, you would be fine. CPU? Fine. RAM? Fine. Mobo? Not fine.

(Same with Linux, though you can boot into a live environment and update the GUIDs of your hardware components in some configuration files to make it boot.)

I'd take this as an opportunity to have a fresh, clean PC. Write down the programs you need, make a backup of your personal files, and get your product keys if needed.
Download the drivers for your new components and put them on a USB drive before you swap your hardware.

For Windows 10 you would need to run the "Activation troubleshooter" after installation for Windows to reactivate, as it now is a hardware license scheme. (For Win 8 and before you can call MSFT)

• Like 3

Windows 10 has a built in program for transferring all your stuff from one drive to another.  All you need to do is make sure your old drive is copied before you start.

Once you restart the PC with the new MB, it will make you re-activate your copy of win10.  I have heard over 20 cases of this not happening, and MS makes you pay them for a new COA.

I would call MS help or go online and find out.

I was one of those guys that had to pay again.  They would not take my word that I was upgrading.  Cost me $89.

Ok as some of you know I'm upgrading my computer, new motherboard, cpu, ramm, and ssd. Originally I was only getting new motherboard, cpu, and ramm. Now I was under the impression that I would be able to install new components and then fire the computer up and be good. *correct me if I was wrong in assuming that*

But now I'm getting a new harddrive how do I go about transferring my OS from my old hard drive to the new one? This is all new territory that I'm venturing into so help is needed.

Unfortunately OS's cannot be transferred because all of it's physical addresses are linked to your specific computer. If you tried putting it onto another computer it would still be looking for data from your old computer.

Windows has a backup utility that you can use to backup all of your data onto a CD, or flash drive. When installing Windows onto your new drive it will give you the option to import all your old data into the new file system that will be created by using that backup. Hope this helps.

Edited by Bow_In_Honor

bye a portable and copy all important datas, ur own settings and stuff. list the progs u had installed and get installer. 

there has to be a backup function in windows too i assume. with mac its very easy, guess same with windows though. gl=)

I worked as sysadmin for a couple of years. Installing windows OS on multiple machines with imaging was one of the main tasks.

You can look into syspreping your windows and do a backup with a tool (like acronis backup)

But: dont do it. it is a big hassle. Especially if you have a new MB and CPU and switch from AMD to Intel. You will have all kinds of driver issues.

Do youself a favor,

- backup the data you need (to an external drive, dvd etc)

- format all drives you have

- install a fresh copy of your operating system (i think you have win7, right?)

- install the newest drivers (MB, GPU, etc)

- upgrade your system to windows 10

- run all windows updates

you will have a clean fresh system and you will be set for years to come

• Like 2

As stated above, do a fresh install! Move what you need to an external drive and go ahead and download all the drivers and installers to it as well.

I'd take this time to learn how to properly set up an SSD as well as recommend using your old drive in the system beside it. I try to only run my OS and important programs/games on the SSD while the rest run or write to my 2nd drive. I'm sure someone here can run you through it. I'd help but from Daredevil's last response to my lag issue, he mentioned 3 possible causes and one just happened to be my HD.... So I'm not feeling so confident right now haha.

What OS/license are you currently using and is it on your new or old motherboard?

• Administrators

Get something like this - 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003WV5DLA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6QY84QJ3754N7F9J32YQ

I have also used Acronis and it works good. 

Transferred all my OS from regular hard drive to SSD using above and Acronis. 

Transfer - Check all is good and if yes nuke the data on old hard drive and use it as back up. 

Get something like this - 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N1KXE9K/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003WV5DLA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6QY84QJ3754N7F9J32YQ

I have also used Acronis and it works good. 

Transferred all my OS from regular hard drive to SSD using above and Acronis. 

Transfer - Check all is good and if yes nuke the data on old hard drive and use it as back up. 

Just to clear things up, did the rest of the system stay the same? My guess would be also to start with new OS when changing so many important components. Even changing GPU from old technology to new and especially going from nvidia to AMD or vice versa needs even CLEAR CMOS, not to mention cleaning up old drives(easier with new install).

Also would like to point out that with the killer system Vetter will have, installing Win on SSD from a good USB 3.0 stick takes like 5 min, literally. Updates are the main time hoggers here, but they can be set to install while going out for a stroll...

Also new installation will clean up the system from unnecessary stuff, improving boot up speed and also when both disks get format(old one zero fill with linux) then itz 100% virus free;)

For SSD I´d recommend win8.1 (or win10), as win7 didn´t have SSD optimisation yet(would defragment SSD thus lowering SSD lifespan).

Also make sure to install new OS in UEFI mode, when booting up system from USB choose also UEFI version, not old BIOS. UEFI version boots up with seconds;) One more reason to start fresh as I´m guessing old OS has slow BIOS bootup...

Just my 2 cents from a non-sysadmin

:P

Wow, lol I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, I might just leave this for my computer shop in town to install get working right...

they do newinstallation for small amount imo. :) imo u just have to save all ur private stuff first on external. guess the shop will tell u same.

Wow, lol I'm feeling a little overwhelmed, I might just leave this for my computer shop in town to install get working right...

We're here to help you every step of the way. Let's take things one step at a time, and save your money.

The first time I did a reinstall even on the same hardware I was super freaked out. It turned out to be just fine. :D I'm confident you can do this.

Let us know when you're ready to start.

• Like 1

Alright thought I was all set to install had computer on counter started pulling parts out, opened up my packages and come to find out I didnt have a heatsink and fan for the cpu..  lol so reinstalled everything so I had a computer and now wait till Friday..  The suspense continues