Different IP or Different Ping?

I play ET daily, but I got a problem with my connection.

Every time my router is restarted it changes its IP address or it changes the ping on the servers,idk what it changes I know that it gives different pings Every time it restarts.

1 in 10 times of restarting it gives the least ping. Afaik the ping depends on the distance between the router and server, but I don't think its the same in my case.

do you have a separate modem? IF so, do you restart it too?

I had similar issues and it was heat related. Check that router and modem are in a good ventilated space.

ok, i guess your computer is connected over wifi?

a quick check you can make to find out if it is related to the wifi: connect your computer over cable for a while

in addition:

DD posted a tool winMRT: (Tutorial: http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/382-winmtr-checking-network-issues/)

32 bit version: http://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/378-winmtr-32-bit/

64 bit version: http://fearless-assassins.com/files/file/400-winmtr-64-bit/

run the tool and post the results here. This will help us to identify where the slow response times come from.

also:

We have a couple of tutorials and posts around ping issues. Maybe that also helps to identify the issue

- http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/57-how-to-recognize-your-lag/

- http://fearless-assassins.com/tutorials/article/372-common-problems-for-wolfenstien-enemy-territory-and-solutions/

• Like 1

• Leader

I used to use a modem and a router with a DSL connection.  When I had some serious connection problems, I tried all the usual 'stuff' and then focused on the router.  I power-cycled it and  then tried resetting it to factory defaults and configuring it again.  I finally just removed it and my connection was ok after that.  I never reconnected it or 'messed' with it again, so I never found the actual problem.

• Like 1

may be your modem or Internet the same interference ... I usually spend my lowers and raises the pings but that is arranged , well in my case

Edited by RedBaird
removed dup lines

Nope, I have my pc through Ethernet cat5 cable, and the router is new so I guess it shouldn't be a router problem it has got something to do with my pc{ pc too new} or my internet connection,
Do different internet plans have different things?like different pings and different settings etc.,

here is winmtr:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                             192.168.1.1 -    0 |   50 |   50 |    1 |    1 |    3 |    1 |
|                          218.248.162.26 -    3 |   47 |   46 |    0 |   55 |  198 |   22 |
|                          218.248.162.26 -    0 |   50 |   50 |   31 |   37 |   79 |   32 |
|                         218.248.235.198 -    0 |   50 |   50 |   53 |   62 |   95 |   65 |
|                          218.248.178.42 -    0 |   50 |   50 |   58 |   67 |  114 |   63 |
|                          218.100.48.143 -    3 |   46 |   45 |   87 |  102 |  166 |  149 |
|                           182.79.255.14 -    0 |   50 |   50 |   88 |   96 |  156 |   98 |
|                   13335.sgw.equinix.com -    0 |   50 |   50 |   88 |   95 |  159 |   94 |
|                           104.28.26.238 -    0 |   50 |   50 |   87 |   95 |  104 |   87 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Edited by Carbonautics

u have a router and the main cable of internet is connected to router and a cable from router is connected to pc????

• Like 1

I remember you mentioning having Dial-Up as your connection type. Perhaps you meant DSL?

Quickest way to tell (afaik) is to pull the cable that goes from the wall to your router/modem and see if it has either 2 or 4 pins (DSL).
If there is no cable going into the wall, than you have wireless internet, called "WiMax". LTE is currently not offered thru your ISP.

u have a router and the main cable of internet is connected to router and a cable from router is connected to pc????

Doesn't look like it per WinMTR. Looks like only one LAN device. (That said, he could have two bridged routers, but I doubt that :P)

Looks like you have what we call 'jitter' on your connection. You would want to contact your ISP about that. Some are responsive, others are not.
(I had to wait some 4-5 months for my ISP to recognize a problem on my line!)

In answer to your question... Yes, different plans will probably offer different latencies. Sometimes in order to get a faster speed, your traffic will be routed through a different "Central Office" which would also change your ping.

yes, there is a wire going into the wall and onto the pole[ lol, i can see the whole phone line between the router and the pole infront of my house].

I should contact my isp and tell them what exactly?

and karizmatic yes, wire from the pole goes to router, wire from router goes in the as* of pc. ;]

• Leader

. Perhaps you meant DSL?

Looks like you have what we call 'jitter' on your connection. You would want to contact your ISP about that. Some are responsive, others are not.

(I had to wait some 4-5 months for my ISP to recognize a problem on my line!)

I once had trouble with my old DSL service.  I ended up needing to have the drop line from the pole to my house replaced.  It had been up there for decades.  

The DSL company did line tests from their end and decided to have the phone company test their lines from my house.  I'd guess that the phone technicians can test both their lines and your house lines if they come to your house. 

I should contact my isp and tell them what exactly?

Well, tell them what sort of issues you are having. In this case, I'd say something along the lines of "I'm having issues when I'm gaming online. My latency jumps from (regular value) to (high value)." If there's times when you internet drops out, be sure to mention that as well. There is a difference between latency (ping) and speed though, so unless you have noticed a definite slow down, I wouldn't mention "speed" or "bandwidth" at all.

It's important to know what plan you are on, and what it offers. That way you can see whether they are trying to "upsell" you services you do not need, or if they are trying to solve your issue.

Ookla's pingtest.net is a good testing suite for testing line quality, along with their speedtest.net. Be aware that pingtest.net requires Java to run.

Here's my result for example:

150364245.png

One last tip: Ask questions. Take notes. Ask them if they have an email that you can send an MTR report to for review. Lastly, do not argue with the support rep. It is not their fault ;)

You don't have a modem of some kind? Cable or DSL modem? As in wall-->modem-->router-->PC?

Of course he has a modem. The router is probably integrated into the modem.

• Like 1

You don't have a modem of some kind? Cable or DSL modem? As in wall-->modem-->router-->PC?

No, wall--> modem-->PC that's it

Well, tell them what sort of issues you are having. In this case, I'd say something along the lines of "I'm having issues when I'm gaming online. My latency jumps from (regular value) to (high value)." If there's times when you internet drops out, be sure to mention that as well. There is a difference between latency (ping) and speed though, so unless you have noticed a definite slow down, I wouldn't mention "speed" or "bandwidth" at all.

It's important to know what plan you are on, and what it offers. That way you can see whether they are trying to "upsell" you services you do not need, or if they are trying to solve your issue.

Ookla's pingtest.net is a good testing suite for testing line quality, along with their speedtest.net. Be aware that pingtest.net requires Java to run.

Here's my result for example:150364245.png

One last tip: Ask questions. Take notes. Ask them if they have an email that you can send an MTR report to for review. Lastly, do not argue with the support rep. It is not their fault ;)

Of course he has a modem. The router is probably integrated into the modem.

Ok will do. Lets see if they do something!!