Computer Running Hot?

-=HipKat=-

• Platinum VIP

I been getting random reboots about once per day for a few days now, so downloaded Core Temp and see my temps are running between about 66°C idling and about 98°C under load!

Once a month I clean my fans and dust out the case so it's not from circulation. Is it probable that a 6 year old computer probably needs new thermal paste?

Or is this normal temps for this rig?

CPU Phenom II X4 3.40 GHz 4000 MHz AM3 4 x 512KB Desktop

Motherboard ASUS MB M4A77TD

Memory Corsair DDR3 8 gigs

Edited by -=HipKat=-

• Administrators

New thermal paste and get good cooling solution. Descent ones range around 30 bucks. 

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?searchin=first&daysprune=90&vote=6&forumchoice%5B%5D=9&forumchoice%5B%5D=25&forumchoice%5B%5D=30&q=cpu+fan&r=1

Sample - http://slickdeals.net/f/8900843-cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-cpu-cooler-with-120mm-pwm-fan-for-19-99-ar-free-shipping-newegg-com?src=SiteSearch

And add some portable fan next to your cabinet if you don't have option to add 120mm fan or so. Make sure intake fan is balanced with outflow or else it would heat up and cause reverse effect. 

New thermal paste - Good one - is must. I change it every 2 years. Takes 10 mins and job done.Increases your CPU and Mobo life.

Buy it once it goes on sale. Buy smart :) 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Btw my case has 9 fans :)

Then u have good case :) Just replace thermal paste if u have good CPU fan.

• Like 1

Thermal paste recomended to change every 1 year 66°C is too high my pc idle is aobut 30-34°C. I recommend to buy

Zalman STG1

Zalman STG2

ARTIC Cooling MX-4

,but zalman stg2 bit better thermal conductivity is 4.1W/mK

If you want to choice cpu cooler pm me  :)

• Like 1

Don't forget to put new thermal paste on the northbridge heatsink as well. I've seen those take a beating and ultimately fail.

Edit: For AM2,3+ socket, I personally recommend the Arctic Freezer A11. I've paired it with an FX processor, and it still runs coll and quiet, even with the "low-power" states turned off in my BIOS.
Something tells me though that if your machine has run as long as it has, it's a workhorse and your cooler should be more than fine ;)

• Like 1

I've had random reboots on 2 computers, one just in the last few months. I didn't have the temperature issues, but for me the computer was older like yours, and both turned out to be the power supply going bad. In both cases, I put in a new power supply, and it was back up and running. I'm not saying that's what's happening to you. Just something to consider.

I hope you get it healthy again.

• Like 2

Did you check if graphics card and CPU fans actually spin? Visual inspection should be fine, no need to touch with fingers;)

Make sure that you DON´T get one of those fancy silver liquid thermal pastes, very good in performance, very hard to apply and can "run away and short circuit CPU\socket".

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

Did you check if graphics card and CPU fans actually spin? Visual inspection should be fine, no need to touch with fingers;)

Make sure that you DON´T get one of those fancy silver liquid thermal pastes, very good in performance, very hard to apply and can "run away and short circuit CPU\socket".

hard to see the GPU fan but the CPU fan is definitely turning

Edited by -=HipKat=-

Before you go fiddling with inside of PC, can you be more specific what exactly is overheating?

CPUID Hwmonitor provides both CPU\GPU temps, SS would be cool. I´ve used HWinfo64(for 64 bit system\windows) also,  gives a bit more detailed info.

I don´t know if its the best idea but I´ve used the "paper test" method. I put one sheet of paper near fans to see if there´s any airflow pulling\pushing it away. Just start carefully with 1 tiny corner of paper from farthest point of fans. The bad thing about it is that paper can carry static charge, so it´s good idea to not touch any metal parts of your PC interior with paper.

And it´s always wise to touch large metal objects like large metal frame\central heating system etc to discharge yourself and "tools" before dismantling PC. Also I´ve learned that DON`T lay PC parts on antistatic bags- like where mobo and GPU are wrapped when shipped.

PS Did it start to happen after you removed fans to clean them up by any chance?

• Platinum VIP

I just started having this random reboot issue a few days ago, like may 1 time a day or so and didn't see anything really in Event Monitor so I installed Core Temp just to check temps and that's when I saw how hot it's running. All fans are turning, I can see in my case, except GPU which is under the card and hard to see. 

I never heard of HWMoniter before but wow, nice utility! And pretty telling.

Capture_zpshpcc6jpj.jpg

Capture2_zpsvncm7zlm.jpg

If I read this right, it's just the CPU running hot

Imo your CPU temp's are on a danger level honestly, having it this high, u are risking some burning, might even burn your CPU if u keep having it for longer time. Normally all AMD's CPUs are having a bit higher limit for temps compared to Intel ones, but still around 62-65°C should be max u would ever reach.

Is your CPU overclockable, if so, have u done it?

What u will need to do is, get the CPU cooler off, clean both bottom surface of cooler and top of the CPU surface with special liquid for it then apply the thermal paste again, make sure u wont put it either too much or too low, as well as make sure that u center the cooler properly and without too much moving, the position is sometimes important as well.
Have u been doing any recent changes to the settings of cooler and by your post above, if u are saying that u have 9 coolers, imo thats a bit overkill and where on earth do u even have all the PIN's for 9 cooler? Normally Mobos have like up to 5 coolers and even thats enough if u have a high end PC. U need to make sure u are having properly set them as well, intake of cold air and outtake of hot air so it wont be mixing and be stuck inside the case as well. U could try to take side pannel off and run the PC again then check if it reboots, as that's the safety AMD has set in case your CPU overheats, so it prevents from making any damages.

What kind of CPU cooler do u have?

• 5 weeks later...

If only your CPU is what gets overheating, most likely problem lies at your CPU cooler and/or thermal paste. Usually, cleaning old and applying new layer of thermal paste should suffice to solve the problem. If you have Intel factory cooler shipped with boxed CPU, I advise you to buy a better one. I did that recently, and my CPU gets 55° C hot at most, even on highest load for longer periods. When in idle state, it shows 38°C. Before, those values were up to 20° C higher at all times - so the difference is big.

As Alite already pointed out, if you experience system instability despite above taken measures, you should look closely at your PSU. I don't think you can do a PSU test under load, but even a look at HWinfo section for voltages can give you a clue.

HWinfo has interesting capability - remote logging (server/client architecture), you should use that if possible.

• Platinum VIP

Yeah, that's what I use to check my temperature and it is just the CPU. I need to get a new thermal paste and I keep forgetting, so maybe I will try to do that today