A little help? Literally shooting a target for 5 seconds in the face, no damage...

yogurtplay

I've learned to aim for the head. I'm not a terrible player, I'm not the best. I've never really been a frag king, I've always been an fast paced, action driven engineer. I'm more about the objective. I've very rarely been the highest fragger. I'm not sure how to set my config file. I'm running into a problem on certain servers where I can't attack an enemy even when my ping is decent and I'm literally shooting them in their face for 5 whole seconds. Even if they are standing still and I have no connection interruptions, it's like they are immortal. 

When my ping is high, and I'm playing against strong players some times crouching, and hitting the floor helps throw off their aim, just enough so that I can survive an encounter with them and get in a frag. But when I play on servers like DRI .... (which I'm liking less every day, but there's actual humans there...)

The strangest things happen. I literally shot some one in the face today for 5 whole seconds, no damage until 6 seconds of shooting them... then they started taking on damage, my ping was about 58 they had like 180 ping. It sucks because my bullets don't do damage even when I'm hitting the target! I have to empty an entire clip before I even hurt some one on that server.  What is that? Latency? Some one told me it was rubberbanding, latency... I don't know these terms but it's pretty suck.

On the ETC server I don't run into this problem, I unfortunately keep getting a 90 ping there, the highest ping of anyone there, many players run in the 20s...
On a good day I can actually do some damage there. I have my Ethernet plugged in to try to improve upon my reaction time. 

Even when the target was standing still at DRI... 5 seconds of fire in the face... literally in the face... and no dings... or damage until it was about time to reload my clip!
Needless to say I don't want to play there anymore. I wish my ping was that great at ETC though... because when it was once, I did alright. ( As a medic pansy) 

Is it because my computer is such an antique? 

2008 Macbook Pro, Bootcamp

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name BRIANSCOMPUTER
System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
System Model MacBookPro5,3
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Unsupported
Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     T9900  @ 3.06GHz, 3059 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Apple Inc. MBP53.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151647, 6/15/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Apple Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
User Name brianscomputer\brian
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.72 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.47 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.42 GB
Page File Space 1.25 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Thanks for any help you can give me. 
Edited by yogurtplay

because there are many diffirent settings some people are simply very hard to hit you can try a few things though
check with /players in console what your settings are
maxpackets is best at 100 and rate 34000 (  /cl_maxpackets 100  /rate 34000  )  also 
see with /cg_drawfps 1 how many fps you get I had myself a issue with a bad pc that my fps only was between 40 and 100 now I have a good pc again and 500 fps and also moving around / aiming is now far more accurate
you also can check /r_primitives 1 or 2   1 is not good 1 is you notice the diffirence right away
and my personal favourite  /cg_runroll "000000" or cg_runpitch "000000"   honestly im not really sure what command is the right 1 from the 2 but it makes me stop shaking when im walking
also if your pc is such antique as you mentioned ET is mostly a memory using game much more then fps look in task manager how your performance is close non essential programs that are using much memory and select ET priority to high
all these things might and I express might help with the issue you feel you have but also because of some people there settings some are simply very hard to hit 

• Like 3

• Clan Friend

Next time it happens you should record a demo and submit it. I have never in 10 years of Enemy Territory shot a player for 5 seconds in the face without hitting, and my internet is not the best. And I have never witnessed such a thing in any mod, neither from spectator, nor in demos.

What's more, if you can shoot for 5 seconds it means your opponent is bad as well, because a fight usually lasts less than 5 seconds :)

You also say you don't make damage but you hit the target, the problem is... hitting the target IS making damage. If you don't hear that hitsound and you don't see those cloud dusts or whatever they are, then you didn't hit, and if you didn't hit in 90% of the cases you didn't aim well, especially in close range.

So I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just trying to help you, you should check some things:

- are you sure you were actually aiming at their face? Were you maybe under fire, and with the crosshair bouncing you couldn't judge well where you were aiming?

- how far was the enemy?

- are you aware of that thing called weapon spread, do you know that you need to crouch if you shoot long range?

- does your monitor have any input lag, or there could be any other reason for which you don't see the enemy where he is? (internet connection doesn't count, since there is antilag)

- do you play with antilag on, or by mistake you disabled it?

- which weapon do you use?

- how fast is your brain/reaction time? if it's too slow you might be slow at judging enemy position and think you are aiming well when you actually aren't.

- have you ever recorded your own games in a demo and watched it (with proper demo unlagging!) to check your aim? Maybe in slow motion? (remember that demos must be unlagged or you won't see where you actually aimed)

• Like 1

Dude, honest point blank range. I can try recording but won't that lag me even more? :D Point blank range, direct hits, no damage. I'm not kidding. I have no reason to lie, it's not like I'm bragging or need to make excuses for my self to any one here. No one here has seen me play even. :D

I have no reputation to save. I'm not in denial either, I know that I'm a decent player, not a great one... but that I can atleast hit some one 3 feet away. :D I'm not even sure what antilag is actually. I use Mp40 and Thompson. I prefer the MP40. 

I'll share my config.

seta rate 34000 
seta cg_optimizeprediction 0
seta cg_smoothclients 0
seta cl_maxpackets 100
seta cl_packetdup 0 
seta cl_timenudge -30 
seta com_hunkmegs 256
seta com_zonemegs 64
seta com_maxfps 125
seta cg_drawfps 1
seta cg_lagometer 1
seta cg_drawclock 1
seta cg_drawtimer 1
seta cg_atmosphericeffects 0
seta r_lodbias 2
seta r_picmip 2
seta r_mode "4"
seta r_roundImagesDown 0
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_primitives 1
seta pb_sleep 500
seta pb_system 0
seta pb_security 0
seta cg_bobup 0
seta cg_bobpitch 0
seta cg_bobroll 0
seta cg_bobyaw 0
seta cg_runpitch 0
seta cg_runroll 0
seta r_finish 0             
seta r_detailtextures 0     
seta r_subdivisions 999    
seta cg_shadows 0           
seta cg_wolfparticles 0      
seta r_fastsky 1     

• Clan Friend

Dude, honest point blank range. I can try recording but won't that lag me even more?

no. recording a demo has almost no impact performance-wise. I've played with computers slower than yours while recording demos. [unless you mean actually recording a video (i.e. capturing your screen), which is not only useless (and worse than recording a demo because it misses important data) but it can actually slow you down.]

I meant recording with /autorecord and /stoprecord commands

----

I took a quick look at your config (after all it's not so long) the only setting I would change is this:

seta cl_timenudge -30

this is not a good idea if you want to hit well, set it to zero

p.s.

decent player can't be anyone who doesn't know how to check his config or what antilag is, just saying. It's like saying I'm a decent guitar player but I don't know how to tune a guitar, and I don't know music theory. The time required to learn how to write a config and knowing all the technical stuff like antilag is much less than the time required to improve in the game.

Edited by SunLight
  • Like 3

Oh look a confrontation, made by you... 

I was actually on your server today.  I was Noob in blue type on the F/A xp save server. I wasn't the best , but any one who saw me play wouldn't likely say I was terrible or a bad player. 

Your logic is flawed, there are many race car drivers who don't know anything about auto mechanics. You're just being nasty, trying to start something. Some people have zero instincts in ET.  They have no real skills.  Config files are what make the game so unpredictable. The games comes in the same settings for everyone, the only reason to change them is because everyone else does... especially people who have been playing for several years. 

Configs are mostly if not entirely to help some one frag, and that's great but the game is really about objs, team work. The only reason I need a config is because many players clearly have costume settings of their own. A decent player can be anyone...But I bow down to your all knowing, superior video gaming ego... I don't have a ton of experience with configs, I have used them before.  Many actors, as well as artist also know nothing about their trade, it's intuitive and instinctive and talent, skill...

Thanks for the advice for my config.  

I'm not a frag whore... I know how to play the game as well as any one else. I'm not a vivid gamer, my computer is nearly 10 years old... but I have played ET for several years. 
I'm not the greatest player but you're being rather presumptuous to assume that I don't have any skills or that I can't be decent...( At least on a good day:D) 

Edited by yogurtplay

As i see this, you came here and asked for help. We are trying to help you.

It is true what Sunlight says about decent player, they do know their cfg stuff, more or less. I dont think it was ment as a insult or whatsoever.

Here is a good site for the cfg stuff: http://antman.info/wolf/cvar/#.V6eDgKIYF8E

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

But I bow down to your all knowing, superior video gaming ego

lol I'm not even a good player... this is escalating in an unpredictable way

Sorry if I offended you, I was just tired and I didn't understand why you needed to justify yourself in your post saying you are decent and the like. Just say 'I have such and such problem', and people will try to help you. There is no need to say if you are skilled or not, after all you wouldn't ask for advice if you knew the game already. I've never heard a skilled player saying I don't hit for 5 seconds, so you don't need to specify. That was the thing that triggered my sarcasm but maybe I was being just rude, so please let's forget about that.

Thanks for the advice for my config.

no problem, but thinking about it, that's not your full config, because if you don't set a value, the game takes the value from etconfig.cfg in the folder of your mod or etmain, so maybe you could paste that.

But the best thing would be if you record a demo when that thing happens. There aren't many settings that could cause you not to hit in such a dramatic way, if I wanted to miss on purpose I don't even know what settings to change, maybe I would disable antilag and stuff, but I would still hit a static target.

So please record a demo and maybe we can shed some light

• Like 2

It was my misunderstanding. I apologize.  :D I DID come here for your help, I'm certainly not that smart when it comes to configs, and not that experienced of a player to consider myself one of the best. I do appreciate your help, I just got easily offended. I was and am here for your expertise. I just play for fun, but you know if a config can help me then that's great. 

Ok, I guess I was never a "decent" player. I really enjoy playing I used to play all the time throughout High School, I was always action driven. I'd be all about the obj. Then I'd start getting owned because people were getting very smart with their configs and I didn't have the money to update my hardware. I wasn't able to keep up with the frag gods. I was still pretty decent with the objective on large teams because in large teams everyone is constantly taking damage. I'd get chewed up but I'd still get to the objective most the time. So I really just developed habits to literally throw myself into the objective and avoid enemies. Sometimes I'll simply avoid detection of any enemies to get to the objective because it's not what's most important to me. 

I've never really was an ace at socializing either. 

I don't think I'm a terrible player. Decent to me means ok... or maybe some times a little better than ok.  It's not excellent or superb...Just on occasion I do alright. I still don't really keep up with the frag gods. I some times fair ok... 

I've been in clans but mostly because at the time my brother wanted me in his clans. I was in Dis and I don't remember the other clans to be honest. I was never that serious of a player. Some players here know all about configs, make money playing against clans. My brother was DisRaven or something like that...

I was never a head dog in Dis, I couldn't keep up. I find that my aim is mostly reasonable, I do play on your F/A #2 XPSave Forever server. I call my self Noob to save myself any embarrassments. I have no delusions of being great or one of the best. Regardless of not knowing much about a config, and I guess I should... I take offense easily some times. 

I really do appreciate the help, and I'm sure that you mean well. I don't always play ET with my brain, often my heart. I'm the engineer on some servers that dies 60 times, kills 3 times... but gets best engineer because I'm the only one who's willing to suck that hard for the obj . So I've never really cared that much. It's always been about trying to see my team make it through to the objective. Thankfully I don't usually get stats like that on FA...

It's semantics, I suppose "decent" means something else to all of you, to me it just means I CAN play without making a total jack ass out of myself but ultimately I'm not anything phenomenal even if I have moments where I CAN shine.  I started playing again just recently because I wanted to have a healthy past time. I've had a few personal problems and ET just seemed like a fun way to shoot the shit as it were. So I loaded it onto my really old computer with stock settings and gave it ago. 

My family, growing up, my parents are argumentative everyone is always trying to damn argue. You know, everyone's different, because of that I'm a little mental. You may come from a more level headed family who doesn't always try to have pissing contests. I didn't come from that. So, I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding.  Everything is relative. 

I've been frustrated because on some servers I've been getting like 50 vs 3 kills :D Which isn't very great... granted I'm an engineer most the time when I die that much. Which sounds terrible but some times that kind of engineer is the only one that's going to get through to the objective. When I go to shoot them, I can't hit them, I don't know if it's lag, latency or what... maybe I'll share a  video some time. Some times standing your ground and not going into it head first for obj just doesn't pan out. That's one thing I do know from experience. I've always been a very aggressive engineer and never really focused on frag. 

I've had fun at the server so far and my ping is only like 22 which I think helps me some. I guess I never took the time to really set up my config properly. It's frustrating because you'll get players that you face and you're literally dead before you even see what happened. Generally when you are in a duel with some one you atleast have a few seconds to react and get in head shots , crouch, jump, whatever... but  I feel that I'm at a disadvantage some times with my computer. Granted there are great players out there, certainly better than I... some times it just seems I'm so close yet so far to bringing some of the players down, who still clearly have some sort of edge. 

The example I'm referring, Baserace on DRI servers.... I was in their base the guy was playing defense.  He did see me I got the drop on him, and there were other enemies in the area, arty... I literally shot him  for like 5 seconds I was sure that I was hitting him , he was close and nothing happened. 

At any rate I think that server has problems. I'll maybe take a video next time I play there so you can see my problems. That would be good. Then we can just get to the bottom of it.  I might just avoid the server all together. Anyways... no hard feelings of course. 

I just need to chill out. I'm a recent college graduate... and you know... life...

Edited by yogurtplay
  • Like 1

I just played you I believe, on jaymod server?! Im on a laptop with crap video, and no you werent that bad. Just adjust your cfg file, there is tons of support for that online. and here I assume. Just had my first post here deleted (offtopic). Odd.

rabbit

Edited by blackrabbit

Try jay1.clan-fa.com. I recently tried jay2 and had a similar problem but it more than likely was on my end. I was probably just aiming to high. Not sure how the hitbox's are set up there but I didn't stick around long enough to hunt them down. Maybe someone can confirm these settings compared to jay1?

Find someone there with high accuracy, 45+, and a high HS ratio and ask him or her to spectate you for a minute and give their opinion on where you need to aim. You could also spectate them while paying close attention to their cross hair placement against moving, standing, and crouched players.

Check to see if this problem is only with HS's. If you hit the body as normal it's a problem with where you aim for headshots. If body shots are also off post your jaymod cfg. ET Directory/jaymod/profiles/user name/etconfig.cfg. I noticed jay2 being the only jaymod server you mentioned. You could have a funky cvar value for that mod only.

Lastly, look up enemy territory hitbox's. https://enemyterritorytips.wordpress.com/2008/11/22/hitboxes-in-enemy-territory-et-pro-reyaip-report/ Pay attention to where the head box is in all situations and adjust your aim with this in mind. An example would be the crouch head box since this is the one I had the most trouble with on said server. If they're not moving aim at their left ear and adjust slightly from there. If they're staffing while crouched aim just above the trailing shoulder and adjust slightly in all directions from there.

Lastly x2. Keep in mind that mod and server side settings govern where the hit boxes will be. It usually takes me a map or 2 to adjust my aim switching between F|A's silent and jaymod servers.

GL and post back what you figure out.

p.s. Do what I said and don't you forget 1 thing! :P typing this on my phone was a pain! I'm also one of the most obsessive aim/tracking nerds you'll come across. :)

P.s.x2 if you like DRI's hit registry then try one of F|A's silent mod servers. The website/main page have them listed with a server tracker included so you can make sure the there are players online before joining.

Edited by Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Like 6

• Clan Friend

It's semantics, I suppose "decent" means something else to all of you

That's right. When I started to play ET almost immediately I started to play only in etpro servers and I was much worse than the rest. Some etpro servers had this "you are bad? then go away" kind of unwritten rule, and they votekicked people quite easily.

So being among the worst but with a solid 40% accuracy every map, you get a different perspective

I was sure that I was hitting him

if you don't hear hitsounds you aren't hitting, at least if you play a mod that doesn't have bugs, but in 99.9% of the cases it's true in every mod.

hitting is: hearing hitsounds, seeing those hit marks on the target, their helmet goes off, etc. no sign of these? you are not hitting, which means your bullets are going elsewhere and you need to take action.

At any rate I think that server has problems

Could be. some servers use strange settings or maybe there is no antilag or other reasons. There is always an explanation for everything.

Anyway, I played a bit yesterday in Jay#2, maybe you were that player called 'Noob' (maybe yes, because I saw -30 timenudge and it matches with your config). Anyway I didn't spec you because recently I play so rarely that I wanted to play, but I took the liberty of taking your stats every map, and you had always an accuracy of around 20%. even in maps like braundorf

If I could suggest you something, more than a config problem or pc speed (remember that top players 10 years ago played with a solid 50% accuracy with computers like yours, and still some do!) you probably make some general aiming mistakes, one or more of these:

- not crouching when shooting in long range

- totally ignoring the concept of bullet spread

- wasting bullets in general, either you keep shooting in hopeless situations when you're not hitting for whatever reason, or you start shooting even before your xhair is on the target, etc.

'preshooting' is ok in some situations, but most players don't blindly shoot, they check if they are hitting or not, if they need to crouch to lower the weapon spread, if they need to take cover

- poor movement leading to other players hitting you more, and when you're under fire it's harder to hit the enemy, not moving immediately out of a fight if you 'feel' that they are hitting you a lot and you don't hit, etc. etc.

- general weakness in mouse movement (check your settings, sensitivity, etc.)

sorry for the long post, maybe if you pay attention to some of those points your accuracy will improve

• Like 3

Thank you, I do preshoot some what often. Of course I'm not one of the top players. I never was. I'll try some additional tweaks and I'll try to learn more about headshots, thanks. Maybe it'll help.  I'll also try to be more aware of my body movements. I do some times get frantic and run from a fight, that's true.  :lol:

Maybe I can just take a video, and you guys can give me some pointers. If I can just relax and be cool about myself, I could learn a fair bit. I thought I changed my timenudge. I'll look again. I'll keep practicing and try not to be so easily offended. I have to remember that many players who still play ET are very experienced by now, and have been playing for years. I haven't played ET in at least over 5 years. 

Edited by yogurtplay

• Administrators

Try jay1.clan-fa.com. I recently tried jay2 and had a similar problem but it more than likely was on my end. I was probably just aiming to high. Not sure how the hitbox's are set up there but I didn't stick around long enough to hunt them down. Maybe someone can confirm these settings compared to jay1?

So I guess, I am not the only one. Somehow I always felt little difference in Jay1 and Jay2 hitboxes even though both settings are darn same. I had asked same to Jaybird long time asking if it was Linux vs Windows server issue. He told me I am having placebo effect. Now that was long time back but no one said anything so I am like yeah, I might be the only one. 

I had even turned on debug mod during that time and tbh I didn't notice any difference but somehow I just felt that it was bit different. We even used to run super tight smaller hitboxes of Jaymod but then no one likes it because people missed shit load of shots and said BS server. So their was no point in running dead server which mostly all hated because hitboxes where small. That was the beginning of hardcore server, then next mod was ETPUB and next silEnT. That's the story behind hardcore server.

Thank you, I do preshoot some what often. Of course I'm not one of the top players. I never was. I'll try some additional tweaks and I'll try to learn more about headshots, thanks. Maybe it'll help.  I'll also try to be more aware of my body movements. I do some times get frantic and run from a fight, that's true.  :lol:

Maybe I can just take a video, and you guys can give me some pointers. If I can just relax and be cool about myself, I could learn a fair bit. I thought I changed my timenudge. I'll look again. I'll keep practicing and try not to be so easily offended. I have to remember that many players who still play ET are very experienced by now, and have been playing for years. I haven't played ET in at least over 5 years. 

Try server IP - hc.clan-fa.com:27960  - It's silEnT Mod with AC enabled. You will see lot's of good players on it.