Getting a car!

audrey

So I've got my licence and as amazing as my parents are, they're getting me a car.
I've been looking for one for like a month, and whenever I find one it ends up having some issue. Honestly, it's my first car and I don't care about anything but for it to drive and not break down (often at least) and it would be great if it didn't spend a lot of gas.

Not a lot of money to be spent, up to 3,000€. So right now, I'm getting little impatient with getting one because I want to go places with my car, and plan to get one in max next 7 days or so :D
These are some of my main choices atm, so was wondering have any of you drove any of these and if so, your experiences? And if not, you know any good car within this price range? It doesn't have to be pretty or anything, I just need it to drive safely and to have it's parts somewhat available. Because I was thinking of Hyundai Tiburon and figured if it broke it would be a disaster to pay for it to get fixed.

VW Polo

Nissan Micra

I hate having options :D
  • Like 2

If you want a car that doesn'ty break down and you're not able to spend a lot of money, you could just take these two factors into account and forget about anything else (color, do I like it,...).

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability This website gives a good idea of how reliable your car would be.

To my own experience and supported by the index:

-don't take the clio (200000 km is a lot) or the focus (can't find kilometers for it?)

-don't take the fiat (reliability + it's also a benzine so you can't do as many kilometers with it)!

-vw polo is average. Many kilomters, wouldn't take it.

-Toyota yaris and nissan micra have good reliability. I would go with the nissan micra, 75000 kilometers, that's a really good deal!

Don't kill me for this advice though, cars are like a box of chocolates... ;)

From those options -> Toyota

Less problems and pretty easy and cheap maintenance costs.

You can also look some info from there about those cars -> https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/autodatenbank/default.aspx

Masa

I would have said Toyota as well, but it has done 110000km more. Toyota has a very high remain value, which is why it's often not the best deal even while it's reliable.

Also, I see some damage at the back of that Toyota.

Edited by Platonic
masa
  • Like 1

I agree with Masa. I have a toyota aygo and a toyota yaris verso at home and both ride very well. Never had any real issues with them

the yearly ADAC statistics of incidents indeed are nice to read, but hasn't there been a scam on them? (iirc, you as a manufacturer could pay to appear less often or so :D )

I started driving with a Lupo myself (smaller than Punto), and it was worth it :)

what I wish I knew before: is there a garage close to your place that specializes in your brand or you got a cool mechanic "at hand"? Also look for prices of bits that return every 1-2 years, like new tires. Mine were around 40 EUR for a complete set, so pretty soft on budget to replace. My friends with BMWs and so on paid much more ^^

Those ford focus are great machines, economic and with a powerful engine and besides its a diesel engine, at least here in portugal diesel is cheaper than gasoline. i wouldn´t go for the opel corsa, have a few friends with corsas and they are not very trustful (engine problems). If i had to choose from one of the gasoline cars that u have put there i would go for the nissan micra or the toyota yaris. 

A lot of people told me to go with Yaris, and it doesn't have to be the one I posted. Toyota Yaris is the most expensive of them all though. I found this one too, seems pretty good. It has done alot of km's but dunno, every  car did since they're all from before like 2005. Except that Nissan Micra, with it's kilometres. I've been going to this site for some advices on them, and it had a lot of issues for Micra and not a good grade, while Toyota has great reviews.

This is another option I considered
Škoda Fabia

the yearly ADAC statistics of incidents indeed are nice to read, but hasn't there been a scam on them? (iirc, you as a manufacturer could pay to appear less often or so :D )

I started driving with a Lupo myself (smaller than Punto), and it was worth it :)

what I wish I knew before: is there a garage close to your place that specializes in your brand or you got a cool mechanic "at hand"? Also look for prices of bits that return every 1-2 years, like new tires. Mine were around 40 EUR for a complete set, so pretty soft on budget to replace. My friends with BMWs and so on paid much more ^^

I have a mechanic and whatever I decide I'm gonna get him to check it out first, for sure :)

@sparrow diesels cost more but they spend less, but as I came to realize or understand, their engines are often weaker or lower quality or whatever.

I'm noob when it comes to the cars, I ask my brothers everything, and now you :D

• Like 1

I have a mechanic and whatever I decide I'm gonna get him to check it out first, for sure :)

if you can "convince" him, let him accompany you when you go see the car. those guys literally hear when something isn't right, and some quick looks under and inside the machine already cover many risks you don't have to take. always test-drive it and try to haggle prices :D

Try to find a cheap car with less kilometers.

Diesel less than 150.000 km

Benzin less than 100.000 km

Always when you look for a car, ask why they are selling it and see if the answer is trustful. Some selling their cars with problems maybe because the repair costs are expensive or any other problems.

To the choice of Benzin or Diesel

If you think you drive far ranges take diesel. If you drive little ranges Benzin is enough. Diesel engine needs to get hot/warm you will get some problems with it when you mainly drive little ranges.

You have Technical supervisory Association in Crotia?

Check when car need to get there next time and try to get on who was in last half year.

If any questions feel free to ask me.

From things i can read micra is best choice.

Edited by Fighter?!
  • Like 1

From things i can read micra is best choice.

But if you go and buy it make sure to bring that engineer guy if he will. It's so cheap it's fishy... If nothing is wrong, this is a super deal. Would buy it myself to drive to norway if it were in Belgium.
  • Like 2

Diesel engines are more reliable than benzine ones, thats due to the engines that work on lower rotations, here in portugal most cars run on diesel, i have a citroen c3 from 2005 with almost 300 k kms and never had to be repaired. The major disavantage is that when they go to the garage the price of the parts are more expensive...  oil exchanges, filters and stuff like that

Despite the amount of km driven if you go for low maintenance and safety your good with the yaris IMO.

But bringing your mechanic with you is the best advice that is given above.

Btw: it aint the coollest car ofc but its very good decent ride

Good luck

Diesel engines are more reliable than benzine ones, thats due to the engines that work on lower rotations, here in portugal most cars run on diesel, i have a citroen c3 from 2005 with almost 300 k kms and never had to be repaired. The major disavantage is that when they go to the garage the price of the parts are more expensive... oil exchanges, filters and stuff like that

Prices for oil and filters are nearly same here in germany. Diesel is cheaper at patrol station here in Germany, you just need to pay more taxes for a diesel Car.

But this could also depend to your garage where you go.

• Like 1