Help & support IRL situations

bo0m

Top 10 Ways to Deal With Hunger

1. Bulk up your meals. There's a lot of evidence that bulk -- that is, fiber -- reduces appetite. So turn up the volume with higher-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans. These foods also tend to have a high water content, which helps you feel full.

2. Cool off your appetite with soup. Have a bowl of broth or vegetable-based soup (hot or cold) for a first course, and you'll probably end up eating fewer total calories at that meal. Creamy or high-fat soups need not apply for this job -- stick to the low-cal, high-fiber choices like minestrone or vegetable-bean type soups.

3. Crunch your appetite away with a big salad. One study found that when people had a large (3 cups), low-calorie (100 calories) salad before lunch, they ate 12% fewer calories during the meal. When they had a smaller salad (1 1/2 cups and 50 calories), they ate 7% fewer calories overall. You can make the same salads used in the study: Toss romaine lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, celery, and cucumbers together, and top with fat-free or low-fat dressing. But beware the fatty salad! Eating a high-calorie salad, even a small one, can encourage us to eat more calories at the meal than if we ate no salad at all.

4. Stay on course. A little bit of variety in our meals is good and even healthful. But having several courses during a meal can lead you down the wrong path. Adding an extra course to your meal (unless it's a low-calorie salad or broth-type soup) usually increases the total calories you consume for that meal.

5. An orange or grapefruit a day helps keep appetite away. Research suggests that low-calorie plant foods that are rich in soluble fiber -- like oranges and grapefruit -- help us feel fuller faster and keep blood sugars steady. This can translate into better appetite control. Of the 20 most popular fruits and vegetables, oranges and grapefruits are highest in fiber!

6. Get milk (or other low-fat dairy foods). Increasing your intake of low-fat dairy foods is a great way to get more of two proteins that are thought to be appetite suppressors -- whey and casein. And drinking milk may be especially effective. A recent study found that whey -- the liquid part of milk -- was better at reducing appetite than casein.

7. Have some fat with your carbs -- but not too much! When we eat fat, a hormone called leptin is released from our fat cells. This is a good thing when we're talking about moderate amounts of fat. Studies have shown that a lack of leptin (due to a very low-fat diet) can trigger a voracious appetite. Obviously, we want to do the opposite of that. But that doesn't mean we should opt for a high-fat meal. Research has found a higher frequency of obesity among people who eat a high-fat diet than among those who eat a low-fat diet.

8. Enjoy some soy. Soybeans offer protein and fat along with carbohydrates. That alone would suggest that soybeans are more satisfying and more likely to keep our appetites in control than most plant foods. But a recent study in rats suggests that a particular component in soybeans has definite appetite-suppressing qualities.

9. Go nuts. Nuts help you feel satisfied because of their protein and fiber content. A handful of these vitamin- and mineral-rich nuggets will hold you over between meals. But keep that handful small: Nuts are high in fat, even though it is the healthful monounsaturated kind.

10. Slow down, you're eating too fast. It takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to get the message that your stomach is officially "comfortable" and that you should stop eating. If you eat slowly, the brain has a chance to catch up with the stomach, and you're less likely to overeat.

The last one is my big struggle, I tend to eat really big meals but too fast. So at the end I got myself "full" with only third of the meal. When I started to eat slower, I meam really chew food and put rush aside, it really helped me to beat hunger and gain some weight really quick.

15 Ways to Become a Better Person

Life is a journey and becoming better every day is the goal.

"Make the most of yourself....for that is all there is of you." --Ralph Waldo Emerson

We've all made mistakes throughout our lives that haven't exactly put us in the best light--like bullying someone in school or telling what seemed like a little white lie. Chances are, however, you probably felt a little guilt and grew because of the situation.

If you want to continue to grow as a person, here are 15 ways to make the most of yourself.

1. Compliment Yourself

Every morning before you go on with your daily routine, take a couple of minutes to give yourself a compliment. Whether you compliment your outfit, haircut, or how you recently completed a task using your unique skill sets, giving yourself a little emotional boost will make you happy. And, when you're happy with yourself, that emotion can be contagious to those around you. Inspirational speaker Tony Robbins has a mantra he says aloud to himself most days to put him in a peak performance state.

2. Don't Make Excuses

Blaming your spouse, boss, or clients is fruitless and won't get you very far. Instead of pointing fingers and making excuses about why you aren't happy or successful in your personal or professional life, own your mistakes and learn from them. When you do this, you will become a better person. When I personally started living up to my mistakes and downfalls, my life turned itself around. I became happier and healthier, and my relationship with my wife improved. We are happier than ever.

3. Let Go of Anger

Letting go of anger is easier said than done. While anger is a perfectly normal emotion, you can't let it fester. When this happens, you may make unwise decisions, and more important, it may affect your health. Research suggests pent up anger can cause digestive problems, difficulty sleeping, and even heart disease.

To help you let go of anger, Roya R. Rad, MA, PsyD, suggests you write your feelings down, pray or meditate, or begin to manage your thoughts.

4. Practice Forgiveness

Joyce Marter, LCPC, suggests you forgive and let go of resentment. She notes, "If for no other reason than for yourself, forgive to untether yourself from the negative experiences of the past. Take time to meditate, and give thanks for the wisdom and knowledge gained from your suffering. Practice the mantra, 'I forgive you and I release you.'"

5. Be Honest and Direct

How would you feel if a loved one or business partner lied to you? Chances are you would see that as a violation of your trust. If you want to be a better person in either your personal or professional life, you should always tell the truth and state as clearly as possible what you are trying to convey. Learn to articulate your thoughts, feelings, and ideas in an open and honest manner.

6. Be Helpful

Whether giving up your seat to an elderly person on the subway, assisting a co-worker on a project, or carrying in the groceries when your spouse comes back from the store, being helpful is one of the easiest and most effective ways to practice becoming a better person. I find that the more I help others, the better I feel about myself and everyone around me.

7. Listen to Others

As Jeet Banerjee notes on Lifehack, "listening to people and giving everyone a voice is one of the greatest things you can do." He adds that he "got to meet some of the most amazing people, close some of the biggest deals, and develop connections that will last me a lifetime all because I took time to listen to people. Being a good listener can change your life in a positive manner."

8. Act Locally

It may not seem like a big deal, but supporting a local cause, donating clothes, or buying from local farmers' markets or businesses are simple ways you can help your specific region. You may not be able to save the world, but you very well could make a difference in your neck of the woods. Get to know and care about your community.

9. Always Be Polite

How much effort does it take to say, "Thank you," or to hold the elevator door open for someone? Not much at all. However, these acts of kindness can make someone's day. I decided a few years ago that it doesn't matter if someone is ultra rude, condescending, or worse. The way someone else behaves is not going to determine my behavior.

10. Be Yourself

Tiffany Mason has five excellent reasons on Lifehack why you should be yourself. These include being able to align yourself with your values and beliefs, establish your identity, build courage, create boundaries, and find focus and direction.

11. Be Open to Change

Whether trying a new restaurant, traveling to an unknown part of the world, or doing something that has always scared you, you should always be open to change. This allows you to grow because you experience something new. It helps you be high functioning and self-confident if you are not wary of change.

12. Be Respectful

How would you feel if you had just cleaned your home and someone came in and tracked mud everywhere? You'd probably be a little ticked that they hadn't taken off their shoes. Take this mentality and apply it to everyday life. For example, don't toss your trash or cigarette butts on the floor of public restrooms or sidewalks just because someone else will clean it up. Be respectful of others' time, thoughts, ideas, lifestyles, feelings, work, and everything else. You don't have to agree with any of it, but people have a right to their opinions and yours is not necessarily correct.

13. Don't Show Up Empty-handed

Going to a party this weekend at your friend's apartment? Make sure you don't arrive empty-handed. Even if you've been assured that there will be plenty of food and drink, bring along a little something to show you appreciate being invited.

14. Educate Yourself

If you don't understand why one country is invading another, take the time to educate yourself on the current event. Ask a person intimately connected with the event for his or her thoughts. Remember, we're all interconnected, and being aware of different cultures, different people, and what their lives are like can make you a more well-rounded individual. This will also help you understand points of view different from your own.

15. Surprise People

How good does it feel to make someone smile? It feels pretty good, right? Surprise your loved ones or co-workers now and then, with a gift, a night out on the town, or by offering help when you know they could use it.

Becoming a better person doesn't happen overnight, but it is possible. Believe in yourself and know that it is possible. Well, IMO for each of us this may be harder or easier.to achieve. But if you want to work on yourself, truly work, well than I guess there is no limits for anything.

7 Natural Ways to Fight Off the Flu

Influenza. Right about this time of year you start to hear everyone jabbering about it. How it’s time to get your vaccine, what the strain is like this time around, all sorts of nasty stories…not fun stuff. The flu virus chiefly attacks the respiratory system with one of three strains, known as A, B, and C (somebody was feeling a creative burst when they came up with that.) When you get ill, your body becomes a battleground on a microscopic level as the virus marches in and begins to take over your own cells, multiplying and killing it. Unfortunately there is no true cure for a virus, so these home remedies aim at easing the symptoms, and keeping your body as strong as possible so it can fight off the virus. Influenza virus, often simply called “the flu”, should not be confused with gastroenteritis-known as the stomach flu.

1. Drink Plenty of Clear Fluids

Could this get any more cliché? Probably not. Does that mean it’s useless advice? Absolutely not. Sometimes, clichés are cliché for a reason. Many times we find ourselves searching for a fast cure, and we neglect the basics. It’s important to drink fluid for a few reasons, the first being fever. The flu creates a higher fever that causes you to sweat, thus, decreasing the fluid in your body. It’s also just common sense that you need to stay hydrated to keep your body running, and you need that more than ever when you’re ill. In addition to the above, drinking enough has a direct effect on your comfort level. Keeping the mucous membranes moist can help thin secretions.

You will need…

-Fresh, cool, water

-Chicken soup (especially the broth)

-Tea

Directions

Stick to clear fluids, such as chicken broth, water, or tea. Your appetite will be low, and these are easy on your stomach while providing the much needed nourishment and hydration your body requires.

2. Spicy Warm Ginger Tea

Ginger is good for just about anything that ails you. Upset stomach, congestion, nausea, inflammation…you name it. When you’re feeling sick, a piping hot cup of ginger tea will chase away chills, help congestion, and even ease some of those awful aches you have.

Numerous studies have found that it can warm you up from the inside out, as gingerols (one of gingers main constituents) may improve circulation when they slow down the process of clots forming. And that infuriating muscle pain? It’s the result of your body releasing an all-out attack on the virus. The acute inflammation of the muscle tissue is the body’s response as various proteins and white blood cells rush to remove the offending virus. Two main players here are prostaglandins and leukotrienes, both of which are powerful mediators for inflammation-but the gingerols can slow their function, therefore easing the inflammation, and thus, the pain.

Technically you’ll be making a decoction, which is necessary when dealing with the tough rhizome that is ginger. It’s a little harder to extract the constituents from the tough plant, so it is simmered over low heat for a half an hour to release all that healing gingery goodness. I usually will add lemon and honey to my decoction to make it even yummier-and to get the benefits of the lemon and honey as well.

You will need…

-2 inches of fresh ginger root

-Fresh lemon

-Honey

-4 cups of cool water

*This recipe is for 4 cups, feel free to adjust accordingly if you would like more or less.

Directions

Slice the ginger into disks and place it in a small pot. Turn the heat to low and bring the water to a slow simmer. Cover and let it simmer for at least 25 minutes, up to 45. If you’d like you can let it infuse further overnight to create a more concentrated decoction, but this isn’t necessary. Strain, pour the liquid into your favorite mug, and add a dash of fresh lemon and a swirl of honey. Enjoy!

3. Simple Salve

This is an easy and unintimidating salve to make for nights when the muscle aches are hitting particularly hard. It contains Wintergreen essential oil, which is truly nature’s pain reliever. It’s actually what inspired the aspirin that you see on drug store shelves everywhere, being composed of roughly 85% methyl salicylate, the main component in aspirin. Wintergreen needs to be treated with respect, as it is so powerful. This salve should not be used on children. Yes, this is a wholesome salve, but just because it’s natural doesn’t mean there isn’t risk. It is possible (and indeed happens) to experience dermal toxicity when amounts of topical analgesics (pain releivers) are used in excess. Cases like that have involved OTC products using pure methyl salicate, but it’s always good to exercise caution. Remember, natures remedies helped keep us alive until the advent of modern day medicine-natural remedies can be extremely powerful.

You will need…

-2 tablespoons of beeswax

-4 tablespoons of coconut oil

-10 drops of wintergreen essential oil

Directions

In a double boiler over medium-low heat melt the coconut oil. Add in the beeswax, and wait until it melts completely. Stir the two together thorough, remove from heat, and quickly drop in your wintergreen oil. Blend thoroughly, and pour immedietly into a little glass jar (or whatever container you wish to keep it in.)

This will keep for up to a year if stored in a cool dark place out of direct sunlight. Apply sparingly over sore muscles, massaging it in with your fingers using firm pressure.

4. Let Yourself Be Sick

We live in a lightning-fast paced world and sometimes it’s simply not feasible to even contemplate lounging in bed, even when ill. But how sad, that we’re so stressed and rushed that we ignore our bodies when they tell us slow down! It’s nature’s most basic way of communicating that it’s time you take a break. Back in the day it was those signals that kept us alive-don’t get lulled into a false sense of security simply because you can get away with it now. It may not be a life-or-death battle but your body is dispatching all its forces to get rid of this thing-help it out a little.

You will need…

-Comfy jammies

-A nice place to curl up and read a book (or watch TV)

Directions

There is no shame in taking some time to let yourself recover. You aren’t being lazy, or selfish. Best to get over the flu then languish for longer than you would if you’d rested in the first place.

5. Take a Shower

I have had great personal success with this little gem. Sometimes, when you’re feeling sick, it’s like taking a shower just re-invents you. You slough off the old sick germy layer and voi la! There’s a brand new you underneath. The warm/hot water helps with aches and chills, and works wonders with congestion. Most of the time, you feel a heck of a lot better getting out of the shower than getting in it. Aside from the obvious clearing of congestion thanks to the heat and steam, is there any scientific backing to a shower curing what ails you? Not really. But if it makes you feel better (which can lead to you actually getting better) than why not? Afterwards you can get back in your jammies and curl up in bed and you’ll feel nice and clean, which makes it much easier and more enjoyable to relax and heal yourself.

6. Flu Bath Salts

Relaxing, healing, and invigorating, the essential oils in these bath salts are the perfect blend to chase away the flu blues. Tea tree oil and eucalyptus combine to kill germs and break up mucous while a touch of lavender helps the body de-stress and unwind. You can use whatever ratio you prefer for this blend, however I tend to use a higher ratio of tea tree oil and eucalyptus to the lavender. The magnesium rich Epsom salt fights achy muscles and the warm bath water gets rid of those bone-deep chills.

You will need…

-6 drops of tea tree oil

-3 drops of eucalyptus oil

-2 drops of lavender oil

-1 cup of Epsom salt

-2 tablespoons of liquid oil (olive, grapeseed, jojoba, etc.)

-A glass container with a tightly sealed top

Directions

Mix the essential oils with your choice of liquid oil, and place the Epsom salt in your container. Pour in the oil blend and stir thoroughly until everything is mixed well with the salt. Fill the tub halfway with warm water, add 2-3 tablespoons of salt, and fill the rest of the way. Soak, relax, and breathe deep!

Remember to stir before each use, as the oil has the tendency to settle.

7. Make an Inhaler

This is a great way to get all the benefits of essential oils on the go, anytime you need it. Lime, lavender, black spruce, eucalyptus and tea tree oil combine to make a great inhaler that will help your body fight the flu. Click here for instructions on how to make it.

You will need…

-Some sort of mouse or mousepad to click above. Or a finger, if you’re using a tablet or cell phone.

Is it the flu or a cold?

Influenza and the common cold both effect the respiratory system, but there are several key differences between them. Even with these differences, many flu home remedies can become cold home remedies and vice versa, as the symptoms are quite similar-they just tend to be worse with the flu than a cold. Keep in mind that symptoms vary from person to person and virus to virus so there is no solid set of rules to determine what you have without going into your doctor.

Onset: A cold will almost always start gradually, and usually very predictably. You start getting a sore throat, which will feel better in a few days. But as that starts to recede, the congestion kicks in. You’ll have a stuffy nose and a productive cough will start to clear gunk out of your chest and throat. The flu, on the other hand, has an abrupt onset. You can feel fine in the morning, and then feel downright horrible all at once that afternoon.

Phlegm/ mucous: Always a compelling topic, phlegm/mucous can be a general indicator of whether you have a cold or the flu (not always though, especially if there are complication with the flu, such as pneumonia.) A cold tends to start with thinner discharge and then later produces a much thicker, darker, mucous that will keep you coughing up nasties and struggling to blow your nose enough. The flu generally produces a thin, watery discharge and the cough is dry, not productive.

Severity: Many of the symptoms are the same, but the flu is much more severe than the cold. Your aches will feel several times achier than if you had a cold, and about 80% of flu cases have a fever, versus the relatively small amount of healthy adults that get a fever with the cold. If you do have a fever with your cold, it will not spike as high as the fever with the flu (above 100.5 degrees) which lasts for.

Duration: You will typically get over a cold within 10 days. The flu can last up to two weeks.

Source: everydayroots.com

5 Ways to Increase Happiness in Daily Life

It doesn't take a whole new routine to inject a dose of well-being into your day—but it does take a little paying attention to.

We all want to be happy, undeniably.

For some people happiness comes easier than others, but what we’re starting to understand is that happiness—that sense of connection and ease of appreciating the good moments and being more graceful and resilient during the difficult ones—is a skill and strength that we can all build.

Note: Set all judgments aside when you read this, practice these techniques for yourself, and let experience be your teacher.

1. Practice happiness for other people’s happiness – When you see others doing good things for themselves such as exercising, laughing with a group of friends, or experiencing an accomplishment, practice being supportive of them in your mind. Say things like, “good for you for taking care of yourself” or “glad you’re having a moment of joy.” Smile in your mind at them or just say, “Yes!”

2. Practice non-violent communication toward yourself – We’ve known for a long time we’re our own worst critics, and the way we talk to ourselves has a major impact on how we feel. Being a little self-critical is okay, but most of us experience it all too regularly. That has to be nipped in the bud. See if you can label any of that self-judgment, and in that moment flip it to actively thinking about things you like about yourself.

See if you can label any of that self-judgment, and in that moment flip it to actively thinking about things you like about yourself.

3. Practice non-violent communication toward others – It’s natural for us to practice sarcasm, contempt, or to manipulate other people in order to get what we want. All of this type of communication toward others is like poison for our well-being. Whenever you notice any of this poison arising, take some deep breaths and exercise restraint. You’ll thank yourself later.

4. Relax your nervous system – We happen to live in a world that is more rapid than ever. It’s no wonder that stress and anxiety are on the rise. It’s important to literally relax your body a few times a day. Take a deep breath, scan your body, and soften or stretch the muscles that are tense. Make this a practice. You’ll be surprised how much this can help.

5. Be aware of the good – There’s a lot of “bad” news out there that dials up our nervous systems and makes us want to keep coming back to hear more, which only maintains a “nervous” system. Instead, create some balance. Your brain is less likely to see all the good, so you have to intentionally pay attention to it. When you notice a good moment, say, “This is a good moment, in life there are good moments, can I allow myself to linger in this for a few seconds.” Let the neurons fire together and wire together.

Your brain is less likely to see all the good, so you have to intentionally pay attention to it.

Of course, there are all kinds of other things to support happiness, such as sleep, exercise, getting out in nature, play, etc. Although these are all important, and it’s good to know there are many things to support our well-being, the five we’re focusing on here are all habits that take no extra time out of your life.

It becomes not so much about time management, but attention management.

Here’s the simple instructions that come with this formula:

Practice this for one workweek. Go down the list and just focus on one each day. Then see what you notice at the end of the week. As a bonus, emotional contagion is a real science, and so as you do this, imagine the ripple effects.

Source: mindful.org

• 2 weeks later...

The Key to

Overcoming Panic Attacks

The surest path to overcoming panic attacks is to train yourself to respond to panic in accepting and calming ways.

The Five Steps of AWARE

The five steps to overcoming panic attacks are:

1. Acknowledge & Accept

2. Wait & Watch (and maybe, Work)

3. Actions (to make myself more comfortable)

4. Repeat

5. End

Let's take a look at what each step entails.

Acknowledge & Accept

All progress starts here. This is the most important single step to overcoming panic attacks.

Acknowledge

Here I acknowledge the present reality, that I'm afraid and starting to panic. I won't try to ignore it, or pretend it's not there. I won't struggle to distract myself, tell myself to "stop thinking about it!", or snap any rubber bands on my wrist.

I'm acknowledging simply that I am afraid, not that I am in danger. The thought that I am in danger is just another symptom of panic, not an important or useful thought.

Accept

Here I accept the fact that I'm afraid at this moment. I don't fight the feeling; ask God to take it away; blame myself, or anybody else. I accept, as best I can, that I'm afraid in the same way I would accept a headache. I don't like headaches, but I don't bang my head against the wall in an effort to get rid of them, because that makes them worse. Overcoming panic attacks begins with working with, not against, my panic and anxiety symptoms.

How Can I Accept a Panic Attack?

What makes a panic attack acceptable (not desirable, but acceptable) is that, while it feels awful and fills me with dread, it isn't dangerous. It won't kill me or make me crazy. Someone pointing a gun at me, that's not acceptable. I might get hurt or killed. If someone points a gun at me, I have to do whatever I can to change that: run, hide, fight, yell, bribe, or beg, because the consequence of being shot is so terrible that I must try to avoid it.

On the other hand - a policeman giving me a ticket, even if I don't deserve it, I can live with that, and can hopefully keep my temper in check so I don't make things worse for myself.

Accepting the symptoms, not resisting, is a powerful step to overcoming panic attacks.

What Can a Panic Attack Do to Me?

It makes me feel afraid, that's what a panic attack does. And, if I'm having a panic attack, I'm already there! I'm already experiencing the worst that will happen. I just need to ride it out. That's the surest path to overcoming panic attacks.

Why should I accept a panic attack? Because the more I resist panic, the worse it gets. The more I develop the habit of acceptance, the more progress I make toward my goal of overcoming panic attacks.

That's Acknowledge & Accept. How does that compare to what you usually do during a panic attack?

Wait & Watch (and maybe, Work)

Wait

What I mean by "Wait" is this: don't just do something, stand there. It's similar to the suggestion "count to ten before you get mad".

One of the hallmarks of a panic attack is that it temporarily robs you of your ability to think, remember, and concentrate. This step will buy you a little time to regain those abilities before you take any action.

When you react before you have a chance to think straight, what do you do? If you're like most people, you probably flee, or struggle. You do things that actually make it worse. This is what people mean when they say things like "I know I'm doing it to myself" and the harder I try, the worse it gets.

Jumping into action too quickly is a big obstacle to overcoming panic attacks.

So, even though you have a powerful urge to leave, postpone that decision for a little bit. Don't tell yourself you CAN'T leave - keep that option open so you don't feel trapped - but put off the decision about whether or not to leave. Stay in the situation. You don't need to run away to get relief. Let relief come to you.

Watch

Use the occasion to observe how the panic works, and how you respond to it. The best way to do this is to fill out a panic diary. The diary is a questionnaire which helps you notice important aspects of a panic attack, so you can respond more effectively over time. Feel free to download and reproduce it for your own personal use. You can also download a set of instructions.

My patients often report that just filling out a diary helps them to calm down. How does this work? It's not that they're distracted from the subject of panic, because the diary questions are all about panic. It helps you get a little distance from your emotions. It works because, while you complete a diary, you're in the role of an observer, rather than feeling like a victim.

The best way to use the diary is to fill it out during the attack, rather than after. If you're in a situation where writing is impractical, perhaps while driving a car, you can: use a digital recorder; have your support person read the questions to you and record your answers; or pull over for a few minutes to write.

What About "Work"?

If you're in a relatively passive situation during the panic attack - a passenger in a vehicle, getting your hair cut, or waiting in a waiting room - "Wait & Watch" is all you need. If you're in a more active role - driving a car or giving a presentation - then you also need to attend to the "Work" of conducting that activity. Do "Wait & Watch", but also remain engaged in your task.

That's "Wait & Watch (and maybe, Work)". How does that compare to what you usually do during a panic attack?

Actions (to make myself more comfortable)

At this point, you've already gone through the two most important steps to overcoming panic attacks.

These steps, and all the steps necessary to overcome panic disorder and phobia, are covered in much more detail in my Panic Attacks Workbook.

What's Your Job During an Attack?

It's not your job to bring the panic attack to an end; that will happen no matter what you do.

Your job now is to see if you can make yourself a little more comfortable, while you wait for the attack to end.

Here are a few techniques that my patients have found particularly useful in overcoming panic attacks.

Belly Breathing

Regardless of what else you do, do belly breathing. It's also known as diaphragmatic breathing, but I think "belly breathing" is more descriptive. Many people think they know how to do deep breathing, but don't do it correctly, so they don't get good results. A good belly breathing technique is a very powerful tool in the work of overcoming panic attacks!

How to Talk to Yourself

Talk to yourself (silently!) about what is happening, and what you need to do. One question my patients find very helpful is this: is it Danger or Discomfort?. Some of the other responses my patients like include the following:

1. Fine, let's have an attack! It's a good chance to practice my coping techniques.

2. Answer your "what if...?" fears by saying "So what? I'll get afraid, then calm down again."

3. It's okay to be afraid.

Get Involved in the Present

People don't panic in the present. People panic when they imagine something bad happening to them in the future or in the past. This is why your panic attacks are almost always accompanied by some "what if...?" thought. If a dog just bit my leg, I don't say "what if a dogbite?". The reason you say "what if...?" is because what you fear is not actually happening!

Get back into the activity you were engaged in prior to the attack, and become involved with the people and objects around you. If you're in a store, resume shopping, reading labels, comparing prices, asking questions, etc. It will move you closer to your goal of overcoming panic attacks when you bring your focus and energy back to the present environment. By this I mean, work with what is around you.

Work with Your Body

Identify, and relax, the parts of your body that get most tense during a panic attack. This typically involves first tensing, and then relaxing, the muscles of your jaw, neck, shoulders, back and legs. Do not allow yourself to stand rigid, muscles tensed, and holding your breath. That just makes you feel worse! If you feel like you "can't move a muscle", start with just one finger!

That's "Actions (to make myself more comfortable)". How does that compare with what you usually do during a panic attack?

Repeat

This step is here because you might start feeling better, then feel another wave of panic. Your first reaction might then be to think "Oh No, it didn't work!". The Repeat step is here to remind you that it's OK if that happens. Just take it from the top again. It's not unusual or dangerous. You may go through several cycles, and you just need to repeat the AWARE steps again, as often as you need.

How does that compare with what you usually do?

End

This is here to remind you that your panic attack will end; that all panic attacks end; that they end regardless of how you respond; that it's not your job to make the attack end; and that your only job is to make yourself as comfortable as possible while waiting for the attack to end.

Have these statements been true for you? Don't take my word for it. Review your own history of panic attacks and see.

And maybe the next time you panic, when you notice yourself thinking, once again, "Will this ever end?", you'll find yourself answering, "YES!"

Source: anxietycoach.com

• Like 1

5 Ways to Prevent Stress Buildup

There's no avoiding the stress of everyday life. Schoolwork, responsibilities at home, busy schedules, other people's expectations, disappointments, deadlines, social drama: all of these can create tension.

Everyday stressors have a way of piling up if we don't keep them in check. Adding these 5 simple actions to your regular routine can help you avoid that "bogged down by stress" feeling. The key word is "routine." You need to make sure you keep doing these to enjoy the benefits:

1. Balance responsibilities (like schoolwork) with activities you enjoy (like relaxing or spending time with friends). It's all about balance: all work and no play is bad. But if your schedule is so crammed with activities that there's no time for homework, that'll stress you out too.

2. Manage responsibilities. Use a calendar or planning app to keep track of assignments, chores, practices, and other obligations. Of course, planning is no good if you don't actually do what you plan: Managing stress also means regular studying, keeping on top of assignments, and overcoming procrastination. Take time to reflect a bit every day and think about how things are going. What do you need to work on? Do? Make time for?

3. Eat healthy foods. What you eat affects your mood, energy, and stress level. Eating healthy doesn't mean avoiding all treats — it goes back to that balance thing again. It's OK to treat yourself to ice cream occasionally if you ate a salad or turkey on whole wheat for lunch. But if ice cream and sweets are your main source of fuel, you're likely to crash or feel cranky — and stressed!

4. Get proper sleep. This may seem like a no-brainer. After all, who doesn't love to sleep? But getting the right amount of sleep is actually something we need to focus on because it's easy to let homework, talking to friends, or binge watching get in the way of sleep — no matter how much we want to catch those ZZZs.

5. Make time to exercise every day. It's hard to feel anxious when you're taking deep breaths on a run, feeling the rush of a downhill bike ride, or playing a pickup game with friends. Exercise doesn't just take our mind off of stress; it releases chemicals in our brains that make us feel better.

Learning to manage stress means building coping skills that allow you to take everyday challenges in stride. It's about keeping problems in perspective instead of ignoring them, and learning what to work on and what to let go of.

Source: kidshealth.org

Boost your Immune system with these 5 natural ingredients

In the depths of winter, when days are cold and nights colder, we look to natural immunity boosters to prevent us from falling victim to the flu or other illness. Over 70% of your immune system is located in your gut, which means investing in a diet that is full of nutrient-rich foods, colourful vegetables and fruit, and natural immune-boosting ingredients, is one of the most powerful ways to keep your immune system functioning well.

Immune boosting ingredients

We prefer natural remedies to aid illness and allow the body to function at its best. These immune boosting ingredients are staples in our pantry and the perfect options, whether combined or enjoyed individually, to help you strengthen your immune system.

Ginger

Ginger has long been recognised for its medicinal properties. While ginger is a flowering plant, the part most commonly used in cooking is the root. Not only does ginger taste delicious but it’s a true superfood. In winter it’s the perfect choice as it warms our bodies while boosting our immunity. It aids with nausea, is a powerful anti-inflammatory and can also help with indigestion, soothing stomach pain.

Citrus

Citrus fruits are packed full of vitamin C which is known for its immune boosting qualities. Oranges, lemons, limes and mandarins are great snacks during winter and the perfect accompaniments to juices and smoothies to provide that extra health boost.

Cayenne pepper

Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a natural antioxidant that works against harmful bacteria. It also contains vitamin C and has even been used as an analgesic to help treat pain. It’s a great addition to spice up foods, boost your metabolism and raise your body temperature which can help your body sweat and fight against viruses.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon is one of our favourite spices to add flavour to smoothies, juices and meals. This understated spice offers calcium, iron and manganese, which are all essential for our bodies to grow and function well. Cinnamon has also been used to help boost metabolism and control sugar levels. Add it to your smoothies, juices, morning bowl of oats or even your soups and curries.

Honey

Many of us have fond memories of treating a sore throat with a spoonful of honey. It wasn’t just for the sweet sugar hit, there are health benefits behind it too. Research has shown honey contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It helps to soothe sore throats and coughs and has even been shown to improve the body’s ability to absorb calcium which helps keep all parts of our body healthy: our bones, muscles and brain. Raw honey is unpasteurised and unfiltered and research has found raw honey contains immune boosting probiotics which can be lost when honey is heated. So, while it is high in sugar, enjoying small amounts of raw, organic honey can help boost your immunity especially in times of need.

Turmeric

Containing the special ingredient, curcumin, turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and is also a great source of zinc, vitamin B and iron. It’s a powerhouse spice offering a multitude of health benefits.

Turmeric is a yellow spice that belongs to the ginger family. It’s often used as a spice in curries to add flavour and colour and, while it’s been used as a medicinal herb for many years in India and China, it’s only recently gained popularity and awareness in mainstream Australia, particularly in the last twelve months.

Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin which is what gives it its healing properties. Curcumin is known to be a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Turmeric, and curcumin, has been used to treat many illnesses and research has shown the use of turmeric has been successful in helping to treat arthritis and depression, among many others. An all-natural ingredient that helps fight off disease and keep you feeling great – we can’t get enough.

While these ingredients alone will not cure an illness, they will help your body function at its best. Eating plenty of rich leafy greens and nutrient packed vegetables and fruit, drinking lots of water and getting quality rest, will positively impact the way you feel and perform, no matter the weather.

Source: thebeatt.com

The realization that irritation, pain and frustration are an experience, not a situation that simply befalls you. Life is what you make of it, literally. And if you get frustrated with something, it's as simple as telling yourself "Oi. Don't get frustrated over trifles". That was a life hax for me :D

• Like 2

Energising Factors

B Vitamins

Food is essential to nourish our bodies providing vital nutrients and minerals to drive the thousands of biochemical reactions in the body; it also supplies us with energy. Any food we eat is converted to energy, in the form of Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP.)

There are many nutrients involved in the body’s ability to produce ATP. The most important group of nutrients for the conversion of food into ATP is B vitamins. Thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2) and niacin (B3) are three B vitamins that are essential in the conversion of food to energy. Without sufficient B vitamin consumption energy conversion can be slow, leaving us feeling sluggish and tired.

The best place to get B vitamins is from our food, when vitamins are obtained through food they are easily absorbed and utilised because you are also consuming co-nutrients that assist with the uptake and absorption. Thiamine rich foods include lentils, nuts and seeds and pork. Leafy green vegetables, tomatoes, almonds and eggs are a good source of Riboflavin. Niacin is found in the highest concentrations in meat such as beef, chicken and fish. Some can also be found in quinoa, a gluten-free ‘grain’, which botanically is actually a seed.

Iron

Is feeling exhausted a constant for you? It has been estimated that up to 20% of women and 3% of men in New Zealand are iron deficient. Without healthy red blood cells, your body can’t get enough oxygen; the consequence of not having sufficient oxygen in the body is constant fatigue. This fatigue or exhaustion can affect everything from your ability to fight infections to your brain function. Iron deficiency anaemia occurs frequently among women of childbearing age. It can be caused by not consuming enough iron rich foods, poor absorption of iron by the body, or loss of iron due to menstrual blood loss. It can be extremely beneficial to get an iron test to determine your iron status.

Immune System

Fighting infections is a sure fire way to zap energy – especially chronic low-grade infections. The immune system expends energy when it gears up to fight a virus or an infection. Coupled with this increase in energy expenditure, when you’re not feeling well the tendency is to eat anything quick and easy but often with little or no nourishment, such as bread, pasta, or fried foods. The immune system is in dire need of support in the form of nutrients when fighting any infection – it particularly loves vitamin C and zinc to name a few. Including a variety of fresh whole foods will help boost your consumption of these vitamins and minerals but it may also be beneficial to add a supplement, especially when you’re fighting an infection.

Digestion

The old adage you are what you eat isn’t quite correct; you are what you eat, absorb and assimilate. There are a number of factors that can affect the ability to digest and absorb the nutrients from food including stress, caffeine and medications such as antibiotics. What and how you eat are also critical to your ability to absorb nutrients and obtain energy from food. The key to sustained energy from food is in the energy release. When you eat foods that contain fibre such as fresh vegetables and lentils you help to slow the release of glucose into the blood – the result being your energy release is sustained. Real foods naturally contain more fibre, vitamins and minerals and thus provide better digestive system health as well as a slower release of energy. Think of a piece of white bread when it’s cooked in a toaster, it burns readily – it does essentially the same in your body. You want slow burning fuel – fat and protein are two slow burning fuels; complex carbohydrates such as kumara and quinoa are also slow burning fuels.

Build muscle

Muscle building or resistance exercise is incredibly important especially for women as they age. We lose muscle mass from 30 onwards unless we actively maintain/build it.By building muscle, using regular resistance training with your own body weight (yoga and pilates) or weights such as dumb bells, barbells and kettle bells, you’re actively supporting your posture, bone health and your ability to feel energised. Then there’s the effect of strength training on hormones such as human growth hormone and testosterone (small amounts are important for women.) Recent studies suggest that resistance training raises levels of these hormones in both men and women. More muscle also means more energy-producing mitochondria in our cells – and that means we have a higher metabolic rate, which assists with body fat management. Naturally you gain better energy reserves as your glycogen (glucose stores) increase, as well.

Open loops/tabs

Consider this as an analogy, we all know that our computer or smart phone slows down and burns more battery, the more programs we have open. For example 23 open tabs of web pages, spreadsheets, documents and presentations, the photo editing, movie playing, music, software updates… our mind can feel very much the same. The more things we have open and unresolved, the bigger the drain on your mind power and energy, from all of these open loops.

How many times across a day, a week, a month, a year, decades even, do tasks or situations open up, yet they are never resolved, finalised, or closed? How many emails do you read that you don’t immediately reply to, and they hang in your mind and add to your task load of what’s not yet done? It’s as if you walk around each day with so many tabs open – like websites sitting open on your computer screen – that you never feel like you’ve got it all handled. How can you close your tabs? Begin by scheduling these reoccurring thoughts into your calendar so you can stop looping over them.

• Like 1

hehe..wifey gets angry i not remember exact details of conversation like.. let's have potatoes next Thursday with fish...I tell her if is not very important I don't store that info ...it takes up space in my subconscious that is taxed already because been filled for 60 plus years..I need a fresh install : p..immediate important things are what I remember..I have found that keeping several small pocket tablets with titles..personal goals.. house repairs ..projects.. drawings..lists of items needed..and I cross off the done parts..until done...storing goals this way makes it so all I have to remember is the tablet names..not the contents..crossing off the last thing on one is very satisfying

• Like 1