Power Supply cost benefit

Bon Scott

Hey bros, i need to buy a new power supply my pc, by now i have a Power One 600w, but i want a power supply with 80 plus, and i dont want spent a lot of money, more or less 100 dollars, i was seeing the seasonic 620w

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-S12II-620-BRONZE-SS-620GB%C2%A0/dp/B003BIEOCI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463530299&sr=1-2&keywords=power+supply+seasonic+620

What u think about?

• Like 1

\moved in a more appropriate section.. and approved (you posted your topic in the trading section which requires an approval).

Seasonic was A&O in PSU market a few years back, only now EVGA\Corsair and alikes have ordered some well designed PSU-s from manufacturers. Some branding companies like XFX still order PSU-s to be manufactured by Seasonic. So by now there is some competition to Seasonic, but to state that EVGA is more reliable? May I ask based on what? I wouldn´t rely on newegg\amazon comments as: 1) it often mixes up different items 2) people are complaining on different reasons, sometimes even without knowing whats going on.

The difference is with 5-10 more bucks you could get more efficient unit, that means it pulls electricity from mains plug less to give out required power to PC, the difference being about 5-7%. Seasonic units have Japanese caps and I have seen only Seasonic PSU-s praised with excellent soldering quality.

Though I´ve not followed Seasonic myself and don´t know which is the newest model and can´t find any reviews anymore as S12II Bronze seems to be quite old model already, maybe go with M12ii EVO Bronze?

If EVGA then better with EVGA G2, GQ performed badly...

Btw what are your PC specs?

• Like 1

i have to agree with vanaraud and jobba, go with EVGA\Corsair.

If you want to do yourself a favor, check for one with cable management.

Cable management is very comfortable if you dont need all the cables. You just plug in and use what you need.

Example:

modular-power-supply.jpg

• Like 1

Seasonic was A&O in PSU market a few years back, only now EVGA\Corsair and alikes have ordered some well designed PSU-s from manufacturers. Some branding companies like XFX still order PSU-s to be manufactured by Seasonic. So by now there is some competition to Seasonic, but to state that EVGA is more reliable? May I ask based on what? I wouldn´t rely on newegg\amazon comments as: 1) it often mixes up different items 2) people are complaining on different reasons, sometimes even without knowing whats going on.

The difference is with 5-10 more bucks you could get more efficient unit, that means it pulls electricity from mains plug less to give out required power to PC, the difference being about 5-7%. Seasonic units have Japanese caps and I have seen only Seasonic PSU-s praised with excellent soldering quality.

EVGA/Corsair is more credible based on reviews and high ratings from hobby computer builders and consumers. Seasonic has great quality PSU's, but so does rosewell, and silverstone and sentey and coolermaster. So why choose one over the other?

The difference is people flock to EVGA/Corsair because of the long-term quality & incredible warranty/customer service.

I just think it's best to stay on the safe side.

I chose the GQ because it has excellent reviews, and it's in the same price range. The G2 is better, but I dont want to juice our friend to spend $20 more (Though it's well worth it).

EVGA/Corsair is more credible based on reviews and high ratings from hobby computer builders and consumers. Seasonic has great quality PSU's, but so does rosewell, and silverstone and sentey and coolermaster. So why choose one over the other?

The difference is people flock to EVGA/Corsair because of the long-term quality & incredible warranty/customer service.

And vise versa Corsair produces total junk also.

Your Seasonic one is pretty good. But it depends what you want. I haven't played with components for 5 years now.

Last time I remember the three high end competitors for PSU's were Seasonic, Enermax and Silverstone, but Seasonic was literally god-tier and made psus for other brands (I couldn't afford the price lol but the quality was amazing)

From what I have owned I have had an Antec Earthwatts 600w PSU (gfs computer. 12 years old. Started making static so I had to replace), Silverstone Strider Plus 600W (it replaced the Antec Earthwatts because it chugged energy like a champ), Corsair AX750 (5 years), and XFX 750 something (1 year, blew up twice, both times warrantied. Sold it shortly after)

• Like 1

i have to agree with vanaraud and jobba, go with EVGA\Corsair.

If you want to do yourself a favor, check for one with cable management.

Cable management is very comfortable if you dont need all the cables. You just plug in and use what you need.

Example:

modular-power-supply.jpg

Yeah, i see by now, its full modular

I´ve been using fully modular PSU aswell and have to say it´s not all good as they say:

- can´t use watercooling 120mm  at bottom of case, non-modular would leave more room as those lowest situated wires atm block, non-modular are suggested for micro builds also for room constraints

- non-modular PSU-s are easier to build for higher efficiency

- non-modular have "round" cables, I had lots of work to fit flat cables behind mobo on 3x spacious case. with round cables just scroll them in punch and tie up, with flat ones have to bend every cable in right direction so they don´t set perpendicular to case and take 5x the room... Some are strongly in favor for flat cables, in my next purches i will try to avoid them

- cost more

Just couple of things I have noticed...

A long time ago I used to make modular (type) PSU's by cutting off the unneeded wires and putting female ends on them.

Them I would put the male end on the other piece.  I would include these wiring bundles in the pack I made for the units I sold.

It was a little bit of work but once you buy the ends and the tool it's pretty easy.  I always hated those big rolled up wires inside

the case.

I dont know how they make the flat wiring today, but we had a lot of trouble with them in the early 2000's.  It seems they like to

give off spurious RF that interfered with stuff in there.  Just like the early round data cables they made.  It all came down to the

problem of CAT5 and the reason they swapped green and blue.  RF interference.

DELL tried an early version of round data cables.  They rolled a flat data cable into a round form and put it inside a heat shrink

tape.  They started getting all kinds of problems from that.

As far as power supplies I have always used Antec.  They have a better contoller board than most and it holds the voltage tighter.

I love the top fan-rear fan models for the Antec cases. It only cools the power supply. Case fans are used for the cooling of the

inner case, along with several side fans.

but I digress.

Here is the unit I suggest for modular installs:

rhr3m8.jpg

I find that best place for PSU is bottom of the case, it will take in only the coolest air and cycle it out, without mixing with the air from case. My RM 850 barely gets fans spinning this way, not to mention the new improved RMx lineup.