Tips for Applicants?

Krusnik87

• Platinum VIP

You left out "Be patient" :)

Which brings me to something I was going to post in Suggestions - Application times.

Like I posted before, people are applying to be part of an online gaming club -or clan, not CFO at a Wall Street Fortune 500 company. I was in Intelligence in the Army. Know how long it takes the US Government to do a Special Background Investigation on someone that requests a Top Secret security clearance? Less than 30 days to approve and THAT was in 1985.

Sometimes it takes months and months just to get approved to trial. (Seems like once you apply, you're basically already a Trial if your application is correct and your referrals confirm)

Anyway, ever think of putting a time limit on applications?? I get there is a lot going on, a lot to research, etc, but lets be honest, it takes very little time to check PBBans, etc. 

Say, 45 days. If on the 45th day, the applicant hasn't been approved, then it's time for a vote by the people who make the decisions, Either in or out. 

Within 45 days, probably all the referrals have posted on the app thread, the people that play with the person have posted and if the applicant is REALLY serious, he/she has put in t he effort to visit other servers, get to know other admins and been able to get +1/-1 from those people, too.

• Like 1

These are just advices from my point of view. 

Regarding the "be patient" i think you are the only one who were impatient. You compare this to the army... but dude.... Honestly you compare a game to work within army? Are ya for real? o_o 

Holy shit, never thought to see something such as this statement in my life. GG! 

I thought that as ET is a game, and that we all have a private life, i thought that private life was more important than joining a game clan. So votes and so on are done within time when we are free to play, and thus be here too. But it seems that for YOU,

that's another matter.

What's more, if applicants don't play on other servers, it's hard to have lots of reviews from different admins (as i stated above), so ofc it takes more time than others who play on different servers.

Finally for some applications it requires more time 'cause we believe that no matter the past of some who did misbehave, we can give a second chance but it takes lots more time to see if the applicant really changed or not. 

• Platinum VIP

I didn't compare this to the Army mate... :) :) :)

And you don't know the conversations other people have about this topic, but your OP is a good one for sure

I didn't compare this to the Army mate... :) :) :)

Which brings me to something I was going to post in Suggestions - Application times.

Like I posted before, people are applying to be part of an online gaming club -or clan, not CFO at a Wall Street Fortune 500 company. I was in Intelligence in the Army. Know how long it takes the US Government to do a Special Background Investigation on someone that requests a Top Secret security clearance? Less than 30 days to approve and THAT was in 1985.

And you don't know the conversations other people have about this topic, but your OP is a good one for sure

<=== Indeed, that's why this is just some advices that F|A members tell already to applicants as much as possible.

edit: Finally this is not a walkthrough of how to join F|A, only few advices that some applicants forgot, that's all, nothing more, nothing less... This is just to help. For more info regarding how to join, we have a dedicated section already.

http://fearless-assassins.com/forum-184/announcement-3-et-how-to-joinapply-for-fearless-assassins-fa-community/

• Like 2

We don't ask of you to post 20 messages a day ok? 

I should read this one carefully... :P

Sometimes it takes months and months just to get approved to trial. (Seems like once you apply, you're basically already a Trial if your application is correct and your referrals confirm)

Anyway, ever think of putting a time limit on applications?? I get there is a lot going on, a lot to research, etc, but lets be honest, it takes very little time to check PBBans, etc. 

Say, 45 days. If on the 45th day, the applicant hasn't been approved, then it's time for a vote by the people who make the decisions, Either in or out. 

Within 45 days, probably all the referrals have posted on the app thread, the people that play with the person have posted and if the applicant is REALLY serious, he/she has put in t he effort to visit other servers, get to know other admins and been able to get +1/-1 from those people, too.

Will never happen, because that would be too much paperwork.

By the way, it wouldn't be a good rule. I mean... Just one example: many people are inactive for a while. Say they are inactive for 20 days, make one post and go inactive again for 20 days. Then he starts to act pretty okay for 5 days. Day 45 is there. We deny or accept? We deny because we don't know enough about this person. I can give endless examples like this.

About ET applications (I'm not well informed enough about the others), these are the reasons why an app can take a long time:

-Person is a(n ex-) cheater and we still debate about what we will do with cheaters because we have never let one in and many admins are strongly against letting an ex cheater in the clan

-Person has well motivated negative votes but we want to observe if he learns from them

-Person has not enough well motivated positive votes

-Person has a past with the clan and needs approval from one or more particular - possibly temp absent - persons

Honestly, approving an app is not just about checking pbbans. And we don't have a polygraph like the DIA :P

Edited by Platonic
added reason 4
  • Like 6

if people read the rules about applying you would see we have a timeline  for app process  it can take 1 day right to 6 months thats why patients is important   :)

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

if people read the rules about applying you would see we have a timeline  for app process  it can take 1 day right to 6 months thats why patients is important   :)

Yeah, I read it. It's just an idea, but you can't say it's a bad idea. Platonic made  some good points, though. One thing, I think if someone applies, then goes inactive during the application process, the application should be suspended during that time.

Either way, it's just my opinion

Should really pin this post (Or make a separate, polished post about this) because I think it would help applicants that are just incredibly unwary on how to behave.

• Like 2

Should really pin this post (Or make a separate, polished post about this) because I think it would help applicants that are just incredibly unwary on how to behave.

That's what the first aim of this topic is all about, have to wait for staff+ to do so i suppose if they agree with this :)

I do not agree. It's a good topic but in my eyes we don't need another pinned topic for trials. They have daredevils announcement in the applications section. What's in here is more common sense. It's something that should be teached by referrals rather than by yet another pinned topic. However that's my view. If another staff+ wants to pin it, he will :)

• Like 3

I do not agree. It's a good topic but in my eyes we don't need another pinned topic for trials. They have daredevils announcement in the applications section. What's in here is more common sense. It's something that should be teached by referrals rather than by yet another pinned topic. However that's my view. If another staff+ wants to pin it, he will :)

I was actually looking for that announcement, and I just found it.

Yeah I guess it wouldn't make much sense since the announcement is there.

I do not agree. It's a good topic but in my eyes we don't need another pinned topic for trials. They have daredevils announcement in the applications section. What's in here is more common sense. It's something that should be teached by referrals rather than by yet another pinned topic. However that's my view. If another staff+ wants to pin it, he will

I agree with your point sir!

But honestly, even if these are common sense, it seems that some really lack such things... Especially with DD's announcements (which are clear enough, hard not to understand imo), sometimes i feel not desperate, but... you know... When you look at the app section, sometimes it makes my skin shiver ... That's why i created this topic, maybe a pinned topic is easier to find than announcement. 'cause these pinned topic are "highlighted" contrary to announcement which doesn't really attrack readers attention.

(then again it's my point of view :) i did something similar in a different section, and Lady Raevyn pointed out something too:

Yus. This. Stickies are better than announcements. I miss announcements too when looking for the proper threads and I consider myself very well versed in forum use.  <_<   Sticky sticks out better against the white backdrop. Plus! I find my eyes seem to go for the new topic button and what's underneath.. not usually what's above it. :3 In the app section announcements are easy to see because we have a large wall of them, but in the report section it's just the one so it blends in too easily. 

TLDR; Sticky would be better than the announcement we have.  :D

In the app section announcements are easy to see because we have a large wall of them

Thanks for putting my reply in your post already :P

We can add 1000 sticky topics in large red symbols with translations in every language on earth, people will still make bad applications. I suppose some people just don't like reading, especially long messages. That wouln't necessarily make them bad members, what brings us back to referral-education :)

That wouln't necessarily make them bad members, what brings us back to referral-education :)

<== Thank you! I have lost all hope in lots of applicant, and how some behave and how we should act as a parent xD (jking)

edit: it alse means, in a more serious matter, that i fail as helping others with this idea :/