Possible Custom PC

St0rmSlaSh

I was on newegg the other day. I decided to see what parts they have and now I am aiming to save up :) let me know if this is a good starter PC to build! - St0rmSlaSh

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 88W BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2958-KR 2GB FTW GAMING, Silent Cooling Gaming Graphics Card

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

Case: Thermaltake V4 Black Edition Gaming Chassis Mid Tower Steel Computer Case Fully Black Powdered Interior VM30001W2Z

Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators

PSU: Cooler Master Elite V2 - 550W Long-Lasting Power Supply with Full Electrical Protection (OVP / UVP / OPP / OCP / SCP)

HDD: Western Digital WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Thermal Paste

CD Drive: ASUS Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818AAT (DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GE) - OEM

OS: Either Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit (Another question: What kind of OS? 32 or 64-bit?)

WI-FI(I don't have LAN in my room >.<) ASUS PCE-N15 Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n PCI Express 300/300Mbps Transfer/Receive Rate 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK, WPS support

Total: 875.40 USD

Well, I think those are all the parts in the computer! I was thinking of giving it a name...What do you guys think? xDD

• Like 1

I dunno. Seems like you are skimping on parts you shouldn't ought to just to have a faster processor (like HD, RAM, and PSU). Since money is an issue, I'd wait for AMD's Zen architecture to come out, since AMD tends to be a better value per dollar than Intel. You're also shooting yourself in the foot since you won't be able to really upgrade your CPU once a new one comes out (you know how Intel likes to change sockets every year or so).

Only get a 64-bit OS. You will have no reason for running 16-bit programs I presume, and they can be run in a VM with an XP license or whatever.

But then again, my opinion is quite different from most people here at FA.

• Like 1

hey St0rm,

nice PC. Here some feedback:

CPU: The i5-4690K is a kick ass CPU, reliable. (Maybe look into a new cooler like the hyper from Cooler Master or the products form arctic cooling)

Mobo: The MSI Z97 PC Mate is a sweet mobo. Maybe you can find one with WIFI integrated. (I just checked but couldn't find anything good on amazon.)

GPU: The GeForce GTX 950 is a nice card for the $. If you can get a OC (over clocked) version, take it so you get a bit more performance

RAM: The board has 4 ram slots. 2x4GB leaves room for upgrades. You could go 1x8GB but chances that you will need 32GB are far off

CASE: I would recommend to look into fractal design. The cases and also the fans are super high quality.

PSU: Cant tell much about cooler master PSU's. If you are open to other brands and want a recommendation: EVGA 80+ and Corsair are pretty good. (if you can get one with cable management)

HDD: Get a SSD(for system and tools) and a 7200 RPM magnetic (for files).

- SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO 850 or Crucial

- Magnetic: Western Digital

• Like 3

Good build, I recommend a 4590 if you aren't planning on overclocking. If you are going to get a 4690K, look into spending $20 more and get a 6600K. You're also going to have to get a CPU cooler like the Cooler master hyper 212 EVO if you are going to get a K series chip which is an extra $30 but well worth it.

Case is good too, However consider this one for the amount of space and it's the same budget. http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carbide-SPEC-01-Tower-Gaming/dp/B00I6BJATW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1463374689&sr=8-4&keywords=ATX+tower

550W should be enough, but get a corsair or EVGA. Highly credible in reliability and price.

Don't forget your thermal compound xD. Any usually is good, arctic silver is the most reviewed.

You might want to get Windows 10 64bit because it's both recent and about $20 cheaper in most cases. It might also be future proof, just to be on the safe side. Nylon cable ties are your friend for cable management. Don't go with wire or twisty ties because I've heard the wire touching any components can potentially mess them up.

Also, I recommend 1tb over 500gb. Only because the price difference is like 5 bucks. Consider an SSD as well, just to install windows. I don't have an SSD in my build, but I don't see any slowdowns since i'm coming from a 5400rpm to a 7200. My build is blazed but I might look into it later.

Don't go bananas over getting an expensive wifi adapter. I have a TP-link, small USB adapter and it works fine. I would spend about $15 bucks on a trusted wifi adapter, no more.

But overall you've got a pretty good build here. If you plan on putting it together, you can ask here for help and don't forget to buy an anti-static strap just to be one the safe side. 

• Like 3

CPU: Intel Core I5 6600K

Motherboard : Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

Gpu: Evga GTX950 /Asus Strix GTX950/Msi Gaming GTX950

Ram Kingston Hyperx Fury DDR4 2X4GB 2133Mhz

Psu Cooler Master Elite V2 550W

1151 Socket are new (newer than 1150)

If you have 4gb ram or more install 64bit windows.

• Like 1

As I mentioned in the other thread for Platonic, that CM PSU is actually a 485W PSU, better save from mobo and I5 and get non-clockable versions. I´ve checked in games OC doesn´t give a noticable performance boost. Get H-chipset mobo and non-K CPU and get a decent PSU- my personal preferences EVGA G2 or Corsair RMx, there are other´s as well but those are quiet and all Japanese capacitors, with a looooooong warranty: http://www.evga.com/articles/00927/EVGA-SuperNOVA-650-550-G2-Power-Supplies/

With CM V2 you´d get 2y warranty and JohnnyGuru mentioned in his review that most probably you´d have to change capacitors after that, also the fan is low quality: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=386

Some things to consider while choosing PSU: when a workload of PC hits only 50-60% PSU-s, thats where PSU is most efficient and quietest. Thats why I like EVGA g2\Corsiar RMx- you can´t go any quieter, well maybe Dark Pro 11 also(Dark Pro 10 is very bad example in the other hand).

hey St0rm,

nice PC. Here some feedback:

CPU: The i5-4690K is a kick ass CPU, reliable. (Maybe look into a new cooler like the hyper from Cooler Master or the products form arctic cooling)

Mobo: The MSI Z97 PC Mate is a sweet mobo. Maybe you can find one with WIFI integrated. (I just checked but couldn't find anything good on amazon.)

GPU: The GeForce GTX 950 is a nice card for the $. If you can get a OC (over clocked) version, take it so you get a bit more performance

RAM: The board has 4 ram slots. 2x4GB leaves room for upgrades. You could go 1x8GB but chances that you will need 32GB are far off

CASE: I would recommend to look into fractal design. The cases and also the fans are super high quality.

PSU: Cant tell much about cooler master PSU's. If you are open to other brands and want a recommendation: EVGA 80+ and Corsair are pretty good. (if you can get one with cable management)

HDD: Get a SSD(for system and tools) and a 7200 RPM magnetic (for files).

- SSD: 250GB Samsung EVO 850 or Crucial

- Magnetic: Western Digital

The CPU comes with its own fan, but if it does not do well, then i will upgrade cooling. I really liked this build because it's more for like the casual gamer like me that wants to play TF2 and ET without using a whole bunch of resources while having ts3 or spotify up in the background. With the RAM though, if I wanna get a more modern game or something, then I will probably add a 1x8 RAM stick. The case is good and I am considering that one over the one I picked :) My dad had a cooler master PSU and my oh my it was awesome. It never shorted out on my dad ever (and he built his PC a couple of years ago!) With the HDD though, The OS and drivers might take a fraction off of the storage but I am not planning to get a bunch of games so I will have some stuff left over. But, an SSD would be better fro having it for system data and drivers. :)

• Like 1

Well I give it a one last try then I´ll give it up;)

Quality costs money and all branding companies produce low quality equipment besides high quality. To be honest- they don´t produce it, the PSU manufacturers like Seasonic\Great Wall\Sirfa\Super Flower\Delta Electronics\FSP- that is a handful of companies actually manufacture PSU-s. Crosair\Cooler Master\EVGA etc only stick their names on their designs. In best case all the branding companies do is take a platform and add design elements and quality requirements. Also every PSU lineup is probably not built by same PSU manufacturer: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html For example Corsair RM lineup, 850W unit is placed on higher Tier Two than other units from lineup, which are produced by other PSU manufacturer. So you see, there can be huge difference even between same lineup.

So you can´t trust the branding company\neither their high quality lineup- only thing is to go by reviews sample by sample.

It´s just a OC CPU doesn´t give any noticeable boost, but with a money saved from OC CPU one can get a quality PSU with quiet fan which doesn´t go boom on you. There are always 0.1% of faulty products but then again some win with lottery;)

I have to correct myself, this low end CM PSU isn´t even 485W PSU. Most of the components nowadays draw their power from 12V rail and on this unit 12V rail is only rated for 384W, so they ask a price for 550 unit and give 384W unit. After a year when all caps are wasted, there´s only left 80% of power which is roughly 300W unit. At best case scenario.

One other thing I noticed that CPU-s, even boxed versions, do NOT come with cooler. At least NOT all of them, there are version without cooler, so when ordering from interwebs take a closer look.

Also one has to consider the clearance for CPU cooler\GPU in the case, so when choosing a case better decide which cooler you could go as upgrade, its hard to change case later;)

On mobo\RAM\GPU department its wise to check your local warranty terms, some may offer 2y warranty, some even 5 years. If you pay same amount of money why not to take longer warranty? *depending where you are living, EU vs US have different terms...

• Like 1