Bad ping

Carbonautics

Your SNR margin is very high, and your download speed is very low even for such a high SNR.

Unless there is something I am missing you have an issue with your line.

Are you using a filter? Is there noise on the line (on a landline phone, do you hear static or other noises)?

Edit: The diagnostics give an attainable rate that is ok, but the stats say your rate is much lower. What download speed do you actually get?

It makes a constant "khrrrrrrr" sound while calling through landline, and 1 more thing, I don't have the adsl splitter in between line and modem, my landline is in other room of my house( if that could be a prob) I don't think I got a filter for the connection. and my actual download speed is 110-120 kbps and 20-25 kbps upload (actual speeds).

Well at least your router seems to be forwarding packets in appropriate time now.

Your line stats look pretty good. With your current speed of 2x0.5, there is a lot of headroom for faster speeds.

At the maximum speed of 13x0.768, things are looking marginal.

What it looks like to me is that the plan that you are paying for is only 2mbps. So you would need to pay more per month in order to take advantage of the faster speeds available to you.

I would say that 8.125mbps x 0.768 would be fast enough to play multiplayer games, while keeping your connection stable. I could not tell you how much the increased cost would be.

With that said, ping does not necessarily change based on an increase of bandwidth or speed. I see a lot of spikes within the "last mile" between the ISP and your modem. It could be because of a lack of bandwidth- or it could be because your ISP oversold the service- in which case, there's not much you can do.

Running a traceroute for only 20-30 packets does not provide much information though. 100 would be good.

EDIT: Based on RedBaird's post below... Please point the destination to jay3.clan-fa.com

The last address in your text files are for the FA website and not for any game servers.  -50 nudge would not affect those winmtr results.

104.28.27.238 -    0 |   10 |   10 |   89 |  102 |  155 |   95 

http://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=fearless-assassins.com  (search for FA.com addy)

Domain:	Fearless-assassins.com
IP Address:	104.28.27.238
IPv6 Address:	2400:cb00:2048:1::681c:1bee
Hostname:	104.28.27.238

should do a winmtr for jay3 server? will do and post it, and the speed plan is 2mbps for 1st 1 gb and [in past (before 2 months)] it was 512kbps after 1 gb, but at present the speed is 1mbps post usage, and 1 gb is always finished at the 1st day of month, so 1mbps, well I can't pay more[ not my money ;)  ] if there is a non-paying solution that would be great, if there is not then its my bad luck I should say, lol, but will have to bear.

Please do post the WinMTR report for 100 packets for Jay3 server.
Is this 'krrrr' sound you mention only at first, during/before you dial the number, or during the call? If it is happening while you are talking to people, then you will need to call BSNL, and tell them about your problems (unclear voice(s) while making a call). Having your modem and phone on separate jacks is not a problem, but it can introduce new problems. So I have some recommendations. Unfortunately, these are technician's recommendations, so you may need someone to come out to your house.

1. Plug your modem/router into the "home run" jack- that is, the one closest to the box that is on your siding (the wall on the outside of your house). And If you *do* have a phone plugged in that is not into the modem, you *will* need a DSL filter. It looks like this:
view-NR1001-2Wire-1-Line-Inline-DSL-Filt

If the phone is plugged into simply a jack in the wall, this would explain why your phone makes a 'krrrrr' sound, and even why you have bad ping while someone is on the phone.

About your plan... I am sorry to say that it is shit. 1GB is *very easy* to go thru, and 512kbps is a very poor speed. At that point, if you could just get 2mbps constant, that would be good.
I don't know if there is a solution that does not require money. You (or your parents) would need to call BSNL and explain to them that you use more than one GB, and that 512kbps is too slow for you (ANYONE TBH- it is too slow for the world, these people need to f--k off and die imo).

I would also mention to the company representative that you do online gaming and you are looking for a stable, but reasonable speed connection at a price that will not make you 'broke'. You may get lucky and get a free speed upgrade.

512kbps is too slow for online gaming FYI. If you would like me to explain, let me know, and I will post information regarding bandwidth, speed, and ping.

• Like 1

• Leader

... and 1 gb is always finished at the 1st day of month ...

I was surprised by that number, so I checked my own traffic.  In the last 9 hours 44 minutes since my last reboot, my system has sent 156MB and received 4 GB!  Part of the reason is that I have 47 tabs open in Chrome and they all refresh when I open the browser again. (I am way behind in my work: 33 of them are for FA work.)

Some websites send me a tremendous number of advertisements with pictures and videos.  Those send a lot of packets.  I wonder if running an ad-blocker would increase the time that you are allowed the higher speed.

..., but at present the speed is 1mbps post usage,  ...

Edited by RedBaird
1mb now, not 512kb
  • Like 1

Carbonautics where are you live?On your Pingtest i can see a German IP. You are from germany?

He lives in India. Now I do not know where you get your info, but all WinMTR reports he has provided have a source of BSNL.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was posting something... and then my post got lost because I pressed the 'back' button on my mouse. Will edit this once I get back my original post regarding speed, bandwidth, and latency.
I will also make a comparison to US speeds and ISP policy because that seems to be a norm here... even though it does not apply to Carbon, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Carbonautics where are you live?On your Pingtest i can see a German IP. You are from germany?

I'm from India, not Germany, I think my ip changes everytime I restart my modem.

Please do post the WinMTR report for 100 packets for Jay3 server.

Is this 'krrrr' sound you mention only at first, during/before you dial the number, or during the call? If it is happening while you are talking to people, then you will need to call BSNL, and tell them about your problems (unclear voice(s) while making a call). Having your modem and phone on separate jacks is not a problem, but it can introduce new problems. So I have some recommendations. Unfortunately, these are technician's recommendations, so you may need someone to come out to your house.

1. Plug your modem/router into the "home run" jack- that is, the one closest to the box that is on your siding (the wall on the outside of your house). And If you *do* have a phone plugged in that is not into the modem, you *will* need a DSL filter. It looks like this:

view-NR1001-2Wire-1-Line-Inline-DSL-Filt

If the phone is plugged into simply a jack in the wall, this would explain why your phone makes a 'krrrrr' sound, and even why you have bad ping while someone is on the phone.

About your plan... I am sorry to say that it is shit. 1GB is *very easy* to go thru, and 512kbps is a very poor speed. At that point, if you could just get 2mbps constant, that would be good.

I don't know if there is a solution that does not require money. You (or your parents) would need to call BSNL and explain to them that you use more than one GB, and that 512kbps is too slow for you (ANYONE TBH- it is too slow for the world, these people need to f--k off and die imo).

I would also mention to the company representative that you do online gaming and you are looking for a stable, but reasonable speed connection at a price that will not make you 'broke'. You may get lucky and get a free speed upgrade.

512kbps is too slow for online gaming FYI. If you would like me to explain, let me know, and I will post information regarding bandwidth, speed, and ping.

I at present have 1mbps since I got the Free Upgrade without approaching them, coz I had used 100 gb in the previous month ;) ,and if you do have time(free time) do post the info about bandwidth, speed and ping , I am curious to learn everything that i'm interested in . Thank you , and I don't have a filter like the pic you posted, but I did attach splitter to the landline and it solved the 'static khrrrr' sound. but not the ping issue still, I got a server in the jay3 tests that's in Mumbai and has almost 96 % packet loss in it(probably) I think that is the issue.

and 1 gb is always finished at the 1st day of month.

In the first 2 days of this month, I had used 16 GBs already.

I had DSL in the past, and I had those filters on all my phone lines. When I was on ET, if the phone rang, my ping would go a little crazy during the rings.

If you would like me to explain, let me know, and I will post information regarding bandwidth, speed, and ping.

I would be very interested in this. I haven't been active on the forums very long, but you are a veritable fountain of computer knowledge. :D

• Like 1

• Leader

DSL...I just remembered that I once had to have my "dropline" from the pole to the house replaced.

I was getting bad online connections and I could hear radio-like "static" on the phone.  I called my ISP and they tested the line and said the problem was in the phone company lines.  The phone techs came out and tested and said it was my dropline.  That fixed it.  :)

I had installed the jack that the modem was connected to, so I first had to make sure that was not the problem.  I thought that I had sealed the exterior hole but moistures still got in and corroded the connections.  I moved the box away from the hole.

• Like 1

• Leader

DNS is mainly used for getting the numeric version of website addresses.

ET and other online games obtain the address of the servers when you click on a link in a server-browser, like the one built into ET or from clicking on the Server-tabs in the FA ET menu.  

You can do a /connect 178.63.72.170 in the console to take you directly to Jay3.  You could also do /connect jay3.clan-fa.com in console and then I supposed that a DNS would be involved.  

A major free DNS is by Google.  Trying that might help your web experience.  Some sites have opened over 30 links to advertisers or pics.  I can see their name-addresses on the bottom left of my Chrome Browser.  

@Xernicus : what is your opinion of the Google DNS?  It looks interesting to me, but you are the technical maven!   ;)

does DNS affect the ping? if so how can I change it to open dns servers?

DNS is mainly used for getting the numeric version of website addresses.

ET and other online games obtain the address of the servers when you click on a link in a server-browser, like the one built into ET or from clicking on the Server-tabs in the FA ET menu.  

You can do a /connect 178.63.72.170 in the console to take you directly to Jay3.  You could also do /connect jay3.clan-fa.com in console and then I supposed that a DNS would be involved.  

A major free DNS is by Google.  Trying that might help your web experience.  Some sites have opened over 30 links to advertisers or pics.  I can see their name-addresses on the bottom left of my Chrome Browser.  

@Xernicus : what is your opinion of the Google DNS?  It looks interesting to me, but you are the technical maven!   ;)

This is a good question.

Unfortunately, changing your DNS server will not effect your ping, nor will it effect your latency. Not for online gaming in any event.

Changing DNS servers to an public alternative (such as Google DNS, OpenDNS, etc) *might* help when it comes to loading webpages, but you'll only really notice a true difference if your ISP's DNS servers are congested.

Now I will, from time to time, switch my primary DNS server or specify one specifically- but under certain circumstances. I can list a few of them off the top of my head:

• I have a router that is in "bridge mode", and DNS requests are not being correctly forwarded to the gateway (modem)
  • I notice my ISP's servers are congested, (Usually you can tell, let's say you try to go to 'www.google.com', and the little popup on the lower left-side of the screen says "Waiting for Google.com..." or such)
  • DNS records from one provider are not up-to-date (they usually take 24-48 hrs for changes to propagate, or come into effect)

When it comes to online gaming, the server address is only resolved (by DNS) once, when you first connect to a server- DNS is not used past that point.

I would be very interested in this. I haven't been active on the forums very long, but you are a veritable fountain of computer knowledge. :D

No problem! I'm happy to help, it's why I'm here. :)

It will take me awhile to write it up, and edit it for clarity and understanding by people of all levels of technical expertise, but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

I'll see about getting a rough draft going this evening and get it finished when I have some free time from work.

By the way Carbon... the splitter you installed does have a built-in lowpass filter, so you should be all good now unless you have other phones attached to walljacks.

• Like 2