SSD and windows paging file

Klopen

hi to all!i am here to share what i learned about the windows paging file and the reason to disable it if you have a SSD. Paging file is a dedicated area of the hard disk used by windows if you finish the free RAM, so the OS will continuosly use the HD in that case, the problem is that windows use the paging file even if the RAM isn't full, the consequences is the reduced lifetime of the SSD. my advice is to disable it if you have at least 8Gb of ram!

• Like 1

There´s also the way to route page file to other disks, like secondary HDD. But I´ve not messed with it since I took a look at TBW (total bytes written) endurance tests and warranty info. Most of SSD today have 50-75TBW for minimum, if one had 8GB written daily on SSD, it would take like 5000 days to start wearing off, I find it minuscule problem.

Gathered some info here also, though with last win8.1 installation I didn´t tinker with it anymore as I had bigger SSD, so no need to free space up and Win8.1 handles SSD quite well to my understanding...

• Like 1