New graphics card - GeForce GTX 970 on videocardbenchmark.net

redy.

Hello everyone,

I was just looking for a new graphics card and found the 'GeForce GTX 970'. The benchmark results compared to the price are great.

While i was searching i found the following page very helpful: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ and wanted to share it with you. Great page to identify the best benchmark results within your budget.

Does anyone have the GTX 970? Any experience?

• Like 1

\moved in the proper section.

you posted this topic in the wrong sub-forum redy. The section (buying\selling\trading) where you posted this topic requires an approval in order to be visible. Hardware discussion suits much more the objective of your topic. :)

• Like 1

I do own one, really bang for buck! But one thing... The card only has 3.5 GB, the other 0.5 won't be used in Games. But besides that, If I was you... I would get one. :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-nvidias-gtx-970-slows-down-using-more-than-35gb-vram/

Edited by equaLz
  • Like 1

I'd recommend the R9 390.

They're both similarly priced, but the 390 has a wider bus, more VRAM and better benchmark results. (Just take a look around and see for yourself) 

If you're concerned about overclocking too, it's a Hawaii pro and you'll be going around 1150-2000 on the core with a voltage bump :)

• Like 1

Can´t say that nVidia or AMD has overall best FPS in games, some loose in one type of games, some win in other games its 50\50 situation most of the times. Wider bus has nothing to do with todays advanced VRAM packing technologies etc.

The thing is- if you play only 3 games and in all 3 for example nVidia has best results, take this one and vice versa. Else take the GPU that costs less and doesn´t produce high noise and heat. Reference cards on both sides aren´t the best. Also as owner of r9 290(basicly r9 390) the GPU OC doesn´t give much, Sapphire Trixxx r9 290 has OC version anyways.

nVidia GPU-s tend to produce less heat\noise. Though aftermarket AMD cards run quietly also. Newest flagship GPU-s are practically equal in noise\powerconsumption, nVidia having slight advantage- talking about GTX 980Ti and Fury X.

Long story short- get the cheapest GPU with aftermarket cooler. Just as example, might not be the best bang for buck specimens: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2015-vga-charts/compare,3667.html?prod[7347]=on&prod[7271]=on

thought havent seen on my TriX anything like 85C and 44dB  is exaggeration also, fans were blowing mildly over my case fans, which run <1000rpm, that means quietly.

Also haven´t seen lately anybody complaining about that 4GB\3.5GB performance issues, its just something people interested in tech like to talk when no news about new GPU-s aren´t coming out;)

• Like 1

i like it quiet. I'm currently looking into the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0, or the SCC version for 10$ more.

From what i read, the EVGA ACX 1 and also 2 (new fans) have good cooling and noise level. To be honest, i never installed an aftermarket GPU cooler. I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

I was thinking of expanding the project and go with a liquid cooling solution for cpu, memory and gpu. But I might have to move the water cooling project on another time to be sensitive to budget. 

@Heaven, i was playing with the thought. In the past i was an ATI buyer. Kinda: CPU=Intel GPU=AMD :) but the latest benchmarks are a bit more optimal for the GeForce.

The R9 390 has 6,864 benchmark points with an average price of 310$ (here)

The gtx 970 has 8,670 benchmark points with an average price of 315$ (here)

i like it quiet. I'm currently looking into the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0, or the SCC version for 10$ more.

From what i read, the EVGA ACX 1 and also 2 (new fans) have good cooling and noise level. To be honest, i never installed an aftermarket GPU cooler. I will check that out. Thanks for the tip.

I was thinking of expanding the project and go with a liquid cooling solution for cpu, memory and gpu. But I might have to move the water cooling project on another time to be sensitive to budget. 

@Heaven, i was playing with the thought. In the past i was an ATI buyer. Kinda: CPU=Intel GPU=AMD :) but the latest benchmarks are a bit more optimal for the GeForce.

The R9 390 has 6,864 benchmark points with an average price of 310$ (here)

The gtx 970 has 8,670 benchmark points with an average price of 315$ (here)

Both cards will be fine for 1080p, anything higher just make sure you go 390 :P

They both beat each other in different ways, but both will be incredibly similar. & I'm not one to rely on sites like passmark and gpuboss etc since they were busted for accepting payments to say certain cards were better than others! :P

Just look @ specs and decide, the difference will be small anyway :P

• Like 1

They both beat each other in different ways, but both will be incredibly similar

True that, I used a couple of different comparison sides and the results vary.

• Like 1

Still rocking a GTX 570. I was planning on building a whole new rig this year but I'm holding out in hopes that Intel will actually release a processor significantly better than my Sandy Bridge 2500K that I got in 2011. Since they pretty much own the market they've just been releasing shit that's barely better the last couple years.

Also note that GTX usually releases a new line of video cards every September if you can hold out for that long.

• Like 1