Do you have an interesting job?

SunSet

Hello people!
Do you have an interesting job? Share with us what you do. Maybe you will shock us? I know there are plenty of jobs which some of us don't even know :)

I will start: I'm working as LSA (Life-Saving Appliances) Inspektor on ships. There are a lot of vessels types but every each of them must have a special boats to rescue people. And one of my work is to check the boats and their davits.
To check the boat we put inside a water-bags and fill them with water (e. g 2,5 tons), and then we do release test (see on links I added)
To check the davit we hang our BigBag and fill it also with water (e.g 7 tons) and then operate the daivit. The BigBag you see in the picture can take max 10 tons of water.

post-18815-0-38963000-1453475020_thumb.jpg

post-18815-0-88367800-1453475022_thumb.jpg

post-18815-0-30207800-1453475024_thumb.jpg

post-18815-0-27832400-1453475026_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • 100 2

Hello people!

Do you have an interesting job? Share with us what you do. Maybe you will shock us? I know there are plenty of jobs which some of us don't even know :)

I will start: I'm working as LSA (Life-Saving Appliances) Inspektor on ships. There are a lot of vessels types but every each of them must have a special boats to rescue people. And one of my work is to check the boats and their davits.

To check the boat we put inside a water-bags and fill them with water (e. g 2,5 tons), and then we do release test (see on links I added)

To check the davit we hang our BigBag and fill it also with water (e.g 7 tons) and then operate the daivit. The BigBag you see in the picture can take max 10 tons of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szT__nnEAVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al94iUnoT38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9AmvrTeoXU

Then maybe we meet sometimes. I'm a seaman. Well if I pass this exam soon will be the third offocer. So.. And tbh from my experiance these testings on a low budget companies are straight to zero, aka there is none. The shipowner just pays a share to get cerrificate, and if some shit comes out, we're all f***ed. But anyway, nice job 4 u. As long as ship industry is rising, no fear for you.

• Like 2

nice i am currently unemployed as of 2 days ago but for fun i volunteer with a marine search and rescue unit on Lake Erie on the Canadian side I am the units Executive Officer and a crew Coxn (capitan) 

Then maybe we meet sometimes. I'm a seaman. Well if I pass this exam soon will be the third offocer. So.. And tbh from my experiance these testings on a low budget companies are straight to zero, aka there is none. The shipowner just pays a share to get cerrificate, and if some shit comes out, we're all f***ed. But anyway, nice job 4 u. As long as ship industry is rising, no fear for you.

I would be great to meet on the ship. Btw I'm third officer too but working on sea now is hard and unprofitable cause shipowners mostly employ people from asian countries like Philippines and Sri Lanka. Because they get lower payment and they contract on sea can last 12+-2 months. While European Union residents can be at sea max 6 months.

• Like 2

I would be great to meet on the ship. Btw I'm third officer too but working on sea now is hard and unprofitable cause shipowners mostly employ people from asian countries like Philippines and Sri Lanka. Because they get lower payment and they contract on sea can last 12+-2 months. While European Union residents can be at sea max 6 months.

Yeah well manila convention get them min. 8 months contract, and ofc they are like 50% cheaper for shipowners. Well there are still some companies on EU flag that allow europian crew contracts like 6 months ( on Antlanthips for AB 6 month is minimal and that is for europian guy) + if you have good credits on ship you can extend your contract. But that is extremely rare, you would have to have good connections with fleet manager.. On my fathers previous ship (greek tankers) he's a captain, there were no philipinos, but chinese and egyptians. Wich surprised me. They are even morencheaper than philipino crew but as my father said lazy asses:D on my previous ship we had freefall boat testing, two of our members ended up with broken shoulder and fractured skull. Those belts were 'eaten' by something. We did have drills on evey ship I have been on, like firefightining, MOB or as from recentk its not man over board but PERSON over board, than we had drills for piracy attacks and bomb(suspicious object) inside the ship. But when it comes to putting down rescue boats, they just testing batteries and engine. Sadly, but it's like that on many companys where my friends are at..

Unemployed student with a huge debt. It's very interesting. 

Crazy job you've got.

I hear that this job is quite popular these days.

My job? If you like drinking whisky, gin or strong spirits in general, those are the lovely things in life what I distill.

If I'm not drunk...

• Like 1

Yeah I did that free-fall lifeboat launch for my offshore training, pretty neat experience!. Much more fun than HUET training :ph34r:https://youtu.be/i7mDmWye4QQ

I will need to pass that aswell of ill get into the oil platform buisiness. Still waiting for comfirmation. This capsule drop scares the shit out of me tbh. I dont trust those divers inside the pool lmao.

I'm an IT Manager; and I get to be the target for anger and frustration from all.

When everything is working fine, people wonder why they should pay me.
When something is wrong, people (once again) wonder why they should pay me.

Website loading slow? Must be my problem. Yup. Gotta take 30 minutes out of what I was doing in the server room to **** around...
---
OK I'm done. :P

• Like 5