What is your most memorable Christmas?

Ol Smoke

Mine was 1969.  I was into duck and goose hunting then, but more so trap shooting.  I had just got my licensing from Lyman Industries and was on their junior

national team.  But I was still using my dad's old Browning 12 gauge auto.  It was a good shotgun but had a full choke, which meant I had to be dead on with

the spread, in order to break the clay pigeons. It had cost me a seed on the national team that summer.  I broke 97 out of 100 and lost by one point to another

kid.  So I was reading the local paper and in the classifieds there was this used modified choke 12 gauge Remington shotgun for $100.  That's about $900 today.

Dad said he would call and check on it, but the guy had sold it.

So Christmas day came around and I was handing out gifts to the family, when I noticed a roll of gift paper behind the couch next to the tree.  I told mom that she

had left it back there, and she asked me to grab it for her.  It was heavy.  I picked it up and knew right then what it was.  I could not believe it!  It was the best

Christmas gift ever.  After lunch, dad and I went to the trap range and shot off about 2 boxes of shells.  Dad ran the trap thrower and I shot the first box. 25 out of 25.

It seemed so effortless to break those clays with that open choke.  That next spring, I won the National Trap and field test with that gun. I broke 798 out of 800 clays

to do it.  Sadly to say, I don't have that shotgun anymore.  After moving to the Pacific Northwest, the wetness rusted the inside of the barrel so much, it was useless.

I never thought of having it mounted back then.  Something I have regretted.

But that was my favorite memory of one of my Christmas'.  Share yours with us.

• Like 3

Only bad memories... Can't decide between the time that they (my parents) told me that they would redo the roof of the garage so I could go live in there or last year when my mother and aunt decided to fight, talk them (my aunt and her gf) into coming back the next day and my mother still being annoyed and stubborn about the day before so totally ruining that day too... And yet I totally love the xmas times, hopefully next year I'll spend it with my boyfriend, far away from my family :)

• Like 4

memories...

Light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories

Of the way we were....

early to late seventies, i vividly remember one thing, er person in particular - my cousin.

our family of about 25 would gather every christmas eve, have a huge turkey, open the presents after the dishes were washed, and afterwards watch hockey on tv usually the leafs vs les canadien.

as dinner was being prepared, my oldest cousin would get tanked before dinner.

he would drink his face off, make an ass out of himself falling over, spilling his beer. laughing at everything.

he never argued or was confrontational. just a happy drunk enjoying the moment.

some finns can handle alcohol, some cant.

and then, he would lie down in the middle of the floor, totally pissed, and pass out in front of everyone.

275 lbs of passed out drunkenness. couldnt be moved.

you had to walk around or step over him.

he would come around or wake up until it was almost time to go, and usually have another beer or two.

he didnt drive so that was ok. 

he was killed a few years ago as a passenger in a vehicle, after being t-boned by a drunk driver during christmas holidays.

those are my memories of christmas' past as a kid.

not a happy story/memory, but if ive learned anything from that, my family including my kids dont drink to excess and definitely dont drive if we do.

• Like 3

when i got a motorbike, a small one...it was a while .. after christmas, anyway it changed my point of view of the world, i was like 9 years old...i love to travell a lot. bikes...my life. :)...i cant complain about my childhood.

• Like 3

I was 18. I was in love. I took some ecstasy, held her hands and stared in her eyes all night long. We was sitting on some unknown roof, the snow doesn't bother us... It was the best xmass in my life.

(Her name was Mary, she was jewish, actually, from Boston, Massachusetts.)

I still have her photo somewhere...

f70598493ed0.jpg

*thank you for brilliant topic, Smoky, I nostalgically re-lived that moment again.

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 5

I was 18. I was in love. I took some ecstasy, held her hands and stared in her eyes all night long. We was sitting on some unknown roof, the snow doesn't bother us... It was the best xmass in my life.

(Her name was Mary, she was jewish, actually, from Boston, Massachusetts.)

I still have her photo somewhere...

f70598493ed0.jpg

ouh Patrick poor patrick....girls are awesome. Be a strong man so you will find a good girl. :)

ouh Patrick poor patrick....girls are awesome. Be a strong man so you will find a good girl. :)

It was 12 years ago! :) I got married. She got married :) now it sounds like just some another nice story... ^)

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 3

my most memorable Christmas:

I had a Polish girlfriend (now my wife ;) ) and we would spend our first christmaseve and christmas in Poland. She already warned me there would be alcohol involved, but hey I drank beer in The Netherlands too...

So we arrived  after a long drive on the 23th of december. I said hi to my family-in-law and got seated. Beer came, wodka came, food came. I was not used to wodka at all. It is actually better than beer, since it is very pure and while drinking you eat a lot too. But 23 wodka and several beers later I went to bed quite drunk. I woke up with a terrible headache (because of the beer, less the wodka) and hardly knew where I was. So I walked through the house to the kitchen to get me some water. In the kitchen was my father-in-law preparing Christmas diner by gutting Carp. The whole kitchen seemed covered in blood and he was standing there with fish guts in his hand.

Not a pretty sight when you have a terrible hangover. I managed to reach the bedroom again and dove into bed again.... only to wake up even more misserable by the stench of carp being baked in the pan. Wow, was I sick :9. The evening went well and I learned a lot about the beautiful Polish traditions. :)

• Like 4

Have to go WAY back to when I was 5 years old. I got a brand new Huffy bike. Doesn't sound like much, but growing up dirt poor, it was a real treat to get a name brand anything. Came to find out many years later that it was through The Marines Toys for Tots program.

See.... when I say dirt poor, I mean so poor that if you had cereal, you put water on it because you couldn't afford milk or when you had milk, you mixed it in a bowl with bread & sugar because you didn't have cereal.

I never got toys for Christmas. Where most kids got new clothes at the beginning of the school year, we got ours as Christmas presents. To this day, my mom sends me a couple pairs of socks wrapped in with her usual shipment of Christmas cookies. It's a good reminder to appreciate what I have now and where I came from. It's also a reminder that there are kids out there that are like I was and don't get a Christmas like other kids.

Now that I've depressed myself and everyone here......

Have a Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

Have to go WAY back to when I was 5 years old. I got a brand new Huffy bike. Doesn't sound like much, but growing up dirt poor, it was a real treat to get a name brand anything. Came to find out many years later that it was through The Marines Toys for Tots program.

See.... when I say dirt poor, I mean so poor that if you had cereal, you put water on it because you couldn't afford milk or when you had milk, you mixed it in a bowl with bread & sugar because you didn't have cereal.

I never got toys for Christmas. Where most kids got new clothes at the beginning of the school year, we got ours as Christmas presents. To this day, my mom sends me a couple pairs of socks wrapped in with her usual shipment of Christmas cookies. It's a good reminder to appreciate what I have now and where I came from. It's also a reminder that there are kids out there that are like I was and don't get a Christmas like other kids.

Now that I've depressed myself and everyone here......

Have a Merry Christmas!

But through it all, for better or worse,  it made you the guy that we like so much.  Merry Christmas  old friend.