Question about Windows XP

St0rmSlaSh

Hey guys. I have a question about my operating system. I found a windows 7 ultimate disk that my dad used for his computer that had the code on it and everything. But when I tried to update my OS, it says it's not compatible. So do I have to get a different kind of windows 7 or what?

I don´t really get what are you trying to do? Trying to update your PC with WIn XP on it to Win7? Or make a clean installation?

And it might be your PC is too old for Win 7 or the Win7 KEY is already in use...

Anyways do backups of your important data to CD\external HDD etc- especially from ETKEY\silent.dat files

• Like 1

I don´t really get what are you trying to do? Trying to update your PC with WIn XP on it to Win7? Or make a clean installation?

And it might be your PC is too old for Win 7 or the Win7 KEY is already in use...

Anyways do backups of your important data to CD\external HDD etc- especially from ETKEY\silent.dat files

Ya. I have windows xp service pack 3 and I wanted to update it to windows 7 ultimate. Should I get Windows Vista instead?

Edited by Storm5638

You can do "update" but best way is to do clean installation of win 7. I did upgrade and it was not working so good way cause some drivers was converted to win 7 usage and did make win 7 slow and

acting odd way sometimes. So best way is to do clean install on new hd and transfer needed data from old disk after install. Dont transfer applications from old, do clean install directly to win 7.

Masa_1964

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2098436/five-tips-for-upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.html

Here's some tips about making the transition via upgrade.

As Masa said though it may be simpler to just back up all important stuff to external HDD or USB Thumbdrive and do fresh install from cd.

Ya. I have windows xp service pack 3 and I wanted to update it to windows 7 ultimate. Should I get Windows Vista instead?

Skip 7 and vista, go directly for Win 8.1, stable version, a lot faster concering older pcs when u compare it to Win7 and Vista, does the job with nearly everything u need or if u don't fancy a pirated versions, then just backup important files into USB stick (simpliest stuff to use, as u can later just delete the files and have USB for other stuffs) and do a clean installation.

• Like 1

Skip 7 and vista, go directly for Win 8.1, stable version, a lot faster concering older pcs when u compare it to Win7 and Vista, does the job with nearly everything u need or if u don't fancy a pirated versions, then just backup important files into USB stick (simpliest stuff to use, as u can later just delete the files and have USB for other stuffs) and do a clean installation.

Would a Dell Vostro 200 work in its case for windows 8.1?

Edited by Storm5638

Should work yeh, if the pc specs are the same as they re here: http://www.pcworld.com/product/30274/vostro-200.html

I think it would work. But mine was made before this one and came with windows xp home edition. i have the model #. here it is:  2CPJDG1. I think you can look this code up on dell.com and see the specs and stuff.

I think it would work. But mine was made before this one and came with windows xp home edition. i have the model #. here it is:  2CPJDG1. I think you can look this code up on dell.com and see the specs and stuff.

If it works fine on WinXP, it should work fine on Win8 as well.

• Like 1