Comcast wins "Worst Company in America" Award

NoGooD

I don't usually post news unless I feel it might be helpful, but seeing this just made me "lol"

Link: Comcast voted Worst Company in America

Apparently Verizon even got a chuckle out of it.

Link: Verizon sends Comcast a "Congrats" for award

worst company in america

Congratulations Comcast; You're The Worst Company In America!

By Chris Morran on April 26, 2010 10:31 AM 0 views

poopComcast.jpg

Behold, the Golden Poo

After four rounds of bloody battle against some of the most publicly reviled businesses in America, Comcast can now run up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art and hold its hands high in victory -- it has bested everyone else to earn the title of Worst Company In America for 2010.

In a three-day, knock-down, drag-out bout with Ticket "Apollo Creed" Master, the little cable company that could showed just how badly their horrendous service, exorbitant costs, throttled internet and plans to acquire NBC Universal have ticked the Consumerist readers.

All that remains is for the Golden Poo to be delivered to Comcast HQ in the City of Brotherly Love. We fully expect them to set it in a place of honor in the lobby, where all guests can see it.

This has been a presentation of Consumerist Sports; feel free to disseminate this information as you see fit.

I'm surprised none of the Financial institutions got the prize. So you didn't get VS channel on Comcast this year. What about the people who got their homes foreclosed on because of the sinking coffers of all the banks??? I'd think BofA or Citibank or Chase/Washington Mutual would have won!

Who do you think owns "The Consumerist"? j/k

Very true and good point. Comcast does have quite a history of charging people for things they never had/ordered.

Personally I would put people who make $12/hr, but got loans for 500K homes at the front of the line combined with the underwriters that approved the loans.

Lol, this is sounding like the system in Australia, with Telstra. Telstra used to be government owned, but the government decided to privatise it, but made the mistake of giving it the infrastructure, so Telstra holds all other telco companies to ransom for rent of the lines, and has no incentive to improve the network. Hence, I have a 480 ping in Europe.

ya same here i had comcast for all most 4 years now and i never have a problem with it it works really good ^_^

ya same here i had comcast for all most 4 years now and i never have a problem with it it works really good ^_^

true that. My tv is pwnage.

and my internet is nice too.

comcast in GA pwns

true that. My tv is pwnage. and my internet is nice too.comcast in GA pwns

+1

Out of the 3 that posted how happy you are with comcast, how many of you pay the bills?

Just curious if any of you have been charged for leasing a modem when you already own one? The websites I've frequented (consumerist, dslreports, etc) seem to be filled with ppl that have or are receiving bogus charges. I believe thats why they won the award.

Out of the 3 that posted how happy you are with comcast, how many of you pay the bills?

Just curious if any of you have been charged for leasing a modem when you already own one? The websites I've frequented (consumerist, dslreports, etc) seem to be filled with ppl that have or are receiving bogus charges. I believe thats why they won the award.

i pay bills, never had anything like that.

in my area, customer service is excellent.

overall, i guess comcast is bad lol

As a preface....I am not in some back-water mountain top where only helicopters can reach, I am literally, 10 minutes away from one of the largest hubs in Virginia for Comcast; One of their major satellite uplink centers which makes the following all the more insane.

The service to my house, my neighborhood, and lots of chunks of the county I live in is utter trash.

In the past 6 years that I've had it (this is 100% not an exaggeration):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAJOR trunk replacement to my neighborhood : 4 times

The line from the pole to my house : replaced 9 times.

The first FOUR, the install techs used the worst possible grade of cable, and left it on TOP of the ground.....The next few they couldnt seem to figure out how to properly terminate wire, use the correct splitter/balun/coupler, etc etc. I've never run it over, cut it/etc. They finally managed to figure out how to bury it the last two times they have come out. Only a few of the people who have ever come out have the right tools. A couple of them thave taken out their little line meters and go, golly gee! you have 80% noise in this line! no wonder the signal is so bad!

The junction box to my section of the neighborhood : 3 times

I dunno, perhaps sealing the box or making sure the weather seals are good might be something you want to check when you leave? Nope. Two of the times the box has literally been full of water. I watched the guy open it, and jump back as this column of water splashed/poured out. He was just standing there looking like he had seen a ghost.

My primary cable box has been replaced, and this is no joke : 13 times. We have a little counter on our fridge of our cable box replacements as a joke. Yup, this is lucky #13.

The HD dies in it, one time it started smoking and i had to get an extinguisher just in case. Three of them went into a permanent reboot cycle after one month of use. It's hilarious, you take a box in, they put it on a shelf, and hand it to the next guy! I am dead serious. I watched it happen. I'm like, uhm, he just said that didnt work, and you're handing it to me? The counter-lady looked at me with this blank, what am i supposed to do stare. The T.V is not on all the time, we watch at night, and sometimes some on-demand.

My cable modem replaced : 11 times. Same problem. 4 different models.

I've had these people tell me everything from the copper in the lines shrunk so my signal was degraded (mind you, the temps here never get below 20ish for a month or two a year tops). That the connectors the installers used in the trunk lines were totally the wrong kind. That they got the cable order messed up and bought the wrong grade of coax and decided to lay it anyway. They couldnt "find" my house (dozens of times) so they closed the ticket rather than call (guess they couldnt "find" a phone either).

Over the course of having this trash at this house, I've gotten around 8 months of free service because it's been out almost as much. For one outage it took them two weeks to even get someone to come look, then they said, oh, we're the wrong unit for this problem, we need to get the line guys our here...another week....

Aside from all that fun?

For a while I had my own modem and they were charging me their rental fee. I took mine in there, with the box, the receipt, and had it out with them. It was a model they don't even offer and the counter-idiots tried to argue with me that i was just trying to get out of paying for renting their modem. I said, "so I went to a store, bought one, paid $135 for it, kept it in the box, and came here all to avoid the what, $8/month charge? How can you say that with a straight face.".

Calling their customer service is a joke. One call the guy picks up, and you can clearly hear him say "watch this", he puts the phone down, THINKS he presses mute, and leaves it there, waiting for me to hang up. You can hear him and his office friends laughing and taking bets on how long I'd stay on the line. They talked about their girlfriends, food, the bathroom, all kinds of awesome topics.

I called again, with another moron who also thought he pressed the mute button, and proceeded to tell his buddy he was going to pretend he was checking the system and then say he didnt find anything so he could get off the line. When he got back I asked how his friend was doing with his new house, what was the recipe for his wifes crab dip that he was talking about and oh by the way, how was that check you didnt do. He was mortified, I asked to talk to his supervisor, who was able to pull up the recorded call, and wasnt laughing either.

If it was just once, or their people actually knew anything about how to troubleshoot anything, it would be one thing. But I can count on one hand, the number of folks who actually knew anything about how their system worked, or how to even diagnose a problem.

We don't have FIOS in my area yet, satellite sucks, and there are no other providers. I pay something like $190 a month in cable bills (just T.V and internet) and it is the worst service i've ever experienced.

I reported them to the BBB and the guy just laughed, he said you are like the millionth person ive talked to in the past few months with complaints like this.

Some of my friends who have it here also joke that we could probably get better service by hanging up some twine and using soup-cans on each end.

Edited by TwoCrows

• Administrators

why is comcast so bad?

it aint so bad where i live.

customer service is pretty excellent

LOL yeah call them and get 20$ deal and then again need to call them after 6 months or else bill bumps to 60$/month for internet only. Why the f*** those f***ing suckers can't give in 20$ or 30$? They have tons of BW and backbone should be fibre optics soon (or it is), so why the f*** those bitches are crying for BW like a whore?

Great customer support where in one apt, one guy is paying for 20$ and another 60$ for same speed and BW.

ok comcast blows.... this makes me lol hard. we used to have comcast tv and internet. litaraly every time it blew over 10 mph or had any rain at all both services would be out for days. we switched away from them when we could finally get att dsl and dish and dish only goes out when there are huge thunderstorms and dsl never goes out. i mean never we had a tornado (preatty weak tornado but still) and we were checking the weather report online lol

and i forgot to mention we lived within a mile of the comcast hub lmao

Edited by fred