wall street

Raskin

Seriously...stocks take a correction from sailing high for 4 years and it's panic mode.people just taking profits out and waiting for next buying dip.I sold and went safe 2 years ago and made a tidey sum..of course I'm older so I'm 20 percent stocks and 80 percent safer investments now..anyways unless you're a day trader I would do what I have done for now...that Chinese built stuff will break fast and they will have to make more for people to consume...any thoughts?

Edited by Raskin

I have 5 different retirement accounts and 1 individual stock. Four are higher risk (85/15). Have had all 5 since 2004 (only one 401k before that). The one thing I learned a long time ago is that you will drive yourself nuts watching the market day to day. Markets need to balance out every once in a while. But historically they come back stronger than ever. Worried about a Great Depression type crash? I doubt you will see that ever. To many safety nets have been put in place to avoid that happening.

Best advice is to hold what you got and not look at it. I meet with my financial advisor every 1-2 years to make adjustments. Other than that, I ride out every bull & bear. Once I get within 10-15 years of retiring, then I will make some big adjustments to a more stable ("safer") portfolio to protect against a down market "at the wrong time".

I trust my financial advisor. Three of my accounts are mirror images of his own personal retirement account with a standing order to follow his changes without need for approval.

Best advice comes directly from him...... "ride it out and don't worry about it until you are 50-55".

• Like 1

I will retire next year so I'm not willing to play..i was in the day trading thing 11 or 12 years ago and lost some,was only 8 percent of my total investment money that i was in with so wasn't really that painful...my safe investments are 401k,and an annuity with some fixed return built in them..I'm pulling my 401k out over two tax years to retire early because I will have to pay for my healthcare plan myself until 65..and get some toys : D...house is paid off so feel comfortable.. I don't think we will have a depression type crash either..with the uncertainy if someone was going long on investment i would pull back some for now just to be safe because of the rise in markets that have taken place for many years..nothing goes up forever..it's just hearing people blaming government or other factors that makes me laugh

it's just hearing people blaming government or other factors that makes me laugh

What does this mean? What does "Chinese built stuff" mean? I guess I should ask, do you live in the United States?

Worried about a Great Depression type crash? I doubt you will see that ever. To many safety nets have been put in place to avoid that happening.

1973: Oil shock, end of Bretton Woods

1980: Hard recession began

1987: Stock market crash

1994: Bond market crash

2001: Stock market crash

2008: Stock market crash

2015: ???

Don't forget about how in 2009, the US Senate was threatened with Martial Law, by Sec. Henry Paulson, exposed by Senator James Inhofe, if the Taxpayers didn't foot a 700 billion dollar debt. Is that the "safety net" of which you speak? The next bubble bailout is projected to be +/- 4 quadrillion dollars. What do you think will happen when we can't pay that, with our 16 trillion GDP and 18 trillion national debt?

DJIA-quarterly-7-13-14.png

• Like 2