Windows Windows 10 is pissing me off :)

^ImaPunK

So Windows 10 is here, free to current windows subscribers.  Sounds wonderful :) Went to install it however and was given the Microshaft once again.  It looks so sweet and pretty as it begins its automated process. "Sit back and relax," it says, so I did.  Big cheesy smile on my face as it reached 24% completion.  Then for no particular reason during the install, it reboots.  I think to myself even though it was only at 83% copying files, it might be normal. Wrong.  It comes back up and says "attempting to restore your previous version of windows."  Which is cool, it has a built in restore just in case something goes wrong.  Wrong again. the restore gets caught in an infinite loop unless I disconnect from the network ( that part took a minute to figure out ).  Soooo... once disconnected from the network, the restore completes just fine.  So I say "screw it, I'll just try it again and everything should go fine."  Wrong yet again.  5 more times I tried to install it.  Each time a different percentage of completion was achieved.  Very inconsistent. Sometimes 24% complete, sometimes 84% complete.  Then the random reboot.  Checked all my hardware.  its golden. lol I am sure I will figure it out, just venting really.  Gotta love Microsoft!

Not sure if you can, but it would probably be better to do a clean install. Thats what I did, and I've only had one problem so far but its fixed.

• Like 1

• Leader

I think some have a work-around for the install-reboot-loop.  Others are waiting for a fix.  Too bad that I didn't record the addy of the site where I saw the discussions. :(  Rebooting during the installation is normal, but not caught in a do-nothing loop.  That could be hard for us mere mortals to judge, though.

• Like 1

Not sure if you can, but it would probably be better to do a clean install. Thats what I did, and I've only had one problem so far but its fixed.

Dont you need to upgrade first to get your "cdkey" then you can do a clean install? I dont see how you can make a clean install without a cdkey

• Like 1

Dont you need to upgrade first to get your "cdkey" then you can do a clean install? I dont see how you can make a clean install without a cdkey

I don't remember having to put in the cdkey before hand. But like I said, it is better if you have the option. If not, then you'll have to find some kind of work around.

I guess 6 times was the charm.  Went real smooth and I didn't do anything differently.  Other than the hugely inconvenient install process, Win 10 seems pretty cool so far. No major problems.

• Haha 1

I have major problems after my install of windows 10

resolution problems...can`t get et on fullscreen somehow....fps very low.....wish i never updated, can hardly play

Updating to any brand new, straight off the line OS is always a bad idea, especially when it comes to Microsoft as we've seen with the past couple OS's(Vista, 8). You'd be better off disconnecting your tower and beating yourself over the head with it.

Idk why people are so head over heels to install Windows 10. It's not like they are introducing anything revolutionary. Just an updated GUI, and some other tweaks, and the promise of a platform for app development. 

EDIT: I guess the opportunity for being able to get it for free drives most people to do it. But you should keep in mind that just because it's new doesn't mean it's the safest, smartest OS to use. I've worked for companies that still use Windows XP, which is 14 years old, and it still holds up. JS

Edited by Bow_In_Honor

I will get win 10 soon, and it will come pre-installed! Anyway, if you encounter problems during install make sure you are :

Doing a clean install

Having a Windows 10 (32/64 bit) Disc

Patient

• 7 months later...

Had similar probs as N|c, not in fullscreen , low frame rates etc. Has to run ET in compatability mode (winxp sp3) and re-executed cfg, which got it back to fullscreen but frame rate really low (17-25) not yet resolved. Have made new post on this so hopefully someone can help

• 4 years later...