Whenhigh

Yes.

To simplify, here's how 'data' flows over the 'internet': [player] <-> ISP <-> third parties <-> ISP <-> [server]. There can be many third parties.

The faster the data can flow - the lower your ping; meaning, if there aren't any third parties and the ISP's are connected directly ([player] <-> PLAYERS ISP <-> SERVER ISP <-> [server]) the ping will be lower. It's even possible (though in this case doubtful) that the player's ISP and the server's ISP are the same - in which case the path becomes even shorter: ([player] <-> ISP <-> [server]).

So essentially - the smaller the path the lower the ping but that isn't entirely true; that's only one aspect - the other aspect is capacity (e.g. how much bandwidth is available - consider a pipe through which water runs - there's only so much water that can flow through it at one point) - as long as each 'party' has enough bandwidth the data flows faster.

Combining the capacity + a smaller path = lower ping in most cases. There are a few edge cases here and there but I've tried my best to simplify things.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Obviously you're joking - but if it was running from their home their ping would be about 0 (0 - 0.5 - 1).

I've seen really low pings (even a ping of 1) on hardcore from people in the US of A. 

Move to America (next to server host) and it is possible.  ^_^

Actually in that screenshot the server seems to be european (German guy has 2 ping). So I'm guessing that particular server is hosted either in Germany or The Netherlands.

Actually in that screenshot the server seems to be european (German guy has 2 ping). So I'm guessing that particular server is hosted either in Germany or The Netherlands.

Guessing eastern Germany judging the low ping of the czech guy and the higher ping of the french :)

• Like 1

• Clan Friend

It depends on how it's calculated by the game, I guess. For example on etpro I have never seen people with such a low ping, except in lan.

I think Silent Mod calculates it in a different way than the way the standard game did.

You can compare it with the 'real' ping using the ping command and see. Because the game does it differently (in fact in the standard game pings like 48, 98, 148 are rather common, probably because the server goes at 20fps, that is 50ms per frame)

It was on Fun1 server, running on Silent Mod.

I will try the /players and !ping functions.

After, the guy is honest and I don't think he modified anything in a cheating way in his config.

• Clan Friend

when I said ping I meant ping command from a terminal, not in the game, btw

anyway, I don't care if someone else's ping is low, I do care when mine is high :(

when I said ping I meant ping command from a terminal, not in the game, btw

anyway, I don't care if someone else's ping is low, I do care when mine is high :(

In etpub & silent (iirc) there's an option in the config whether to show 'real' ping or an average - not sure if there are other options though.

Edit: to clarify, this was supposed to quote the other post you made about etpro.

Edited by w00tw00t