So I need a new computer! Help Me!

Levi

Would like to add, that with UEFI BIOS and SSD-s being main features today, Win8.1 has better support for them, also Win8.1 has better multi-thread optimisation etc. So throwing aside the whole desktop\design fuss, Win8.1 is a bit more updated for todays builds.

Meaningless in .... oh NOW ... as WINDOWS 10 just got released 3 hours ago  ;)

I just made this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YY3V8d

It's got a CrossFire compatible mobo, so you can add another 290X in the future (you'll need a bigger PSU though) if the horsepower isn't enough. 

I have personal experience with the i5 and it's a great processor that you can get at a microcener for $160. You only need 8 GB of memory for now, so don't go for 16 unless you either want to carelessly spend money or you need it for a specific task. Both storage solutions are good (though I don't have personal experience with SanDisk, anyone else?) and you'll love to have an SSD for booting and commonly used programs. The 290X is a BEAST and will last you a long time (I even made room for a second 290X to be implemented with just a different PSU). The case is easy for first-timers, and cheap, so good to go. The PSU is something a lot of people have (including me, sadly) cheaped out on, but it is NOT what you want to cheap out on at all. A bad PSU could destroy your entire system, so SeaSonic or Corsair's AX, RM, and HX series' are the way to go. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE PSU, PLEASE. For under $800, this is a darn good PC, you just need a monitor, OS, and Mouse which can be found for cheap. (I didn't see you mention that you need these, so I left it out, can change this if necessary). 

If anyone has personal experience with the parts I don't or alternative views, chime in. More thoughts are great. 

pretty good config. couple of things to add:

- if you need a DVD rom for OS installation or future use. might be worth adding.

- If you need wifi, the mainboard doesnt seem to have it integrated, so might worth adding a wifi card.

- if you have additional ~50$ try to go with a 250GB SSD. 120Gb is ok, but with windows operating system and games on it can get full fast.

• Like 1

pretty good config. couple of things to add:

- if you need a DVD rom for OS installation or future use. might be worth adding.

- If you need wifi, the mainboard doesnt seem to have it integrated, so might worth adding a wifi card.

- if you have additional ~50$ try to go with a 250GB SSD. 120Gb is ok, but with windows operating system and games on it can get full fast.

sorry, I've been using a USB drive for OS installation, so I don't think I've used a CD for years but I shouldn't assume that others do the same. My bad Levi, feel free to add that in, shouldn't cost much more. 

Wifi cards are typically relatively inexpensive as well, so same applies. 

I would love to say that a 250 GB SSD is worth it, but honestly, at that point, instead of jumping to $100 or so for a 240, just wait for a 500 GB to go on sale for $150 or so (what I did). The SSD is nice for boot files, but if Levi finds him/herself putting lots of games on the drive, then 240 won't be enough. TL;DR, 120 GB is enough for boot and small frequently-used programs, anything more and you may as well save a bit for a 500 GB SSD. People may disagree with that, but I feel like if you want the extra space then $50 more over the $100 for a 240 GB for over twice the space is a better use of money. 

• Like 1

I just made this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YY3V8d

Nice build, wasn´t even aware of XFX 290x DD, the little brother r9 290 DD runs cool and quiet. Though I´d get R9 290 for http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290aedfdor GTX 970 for over 300$.

Don´t know about the Sandisk Plus, didn´t find any reviews either but usually what you pay is what you get. Don´t know if its TLC or MLC, SLC definetly not. But anyways SSD-s are fast and reliable thesedays.

The graphics card doesn´t fit with HDD cages installed into the case!

• Like 1

Nice build, wasn´t even aware of XFX 290x DD, the little brother r9 290 DD runs cool and quiet. Though I´d get R9 290 for http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r9290aedfdor GTX 970 for over 300$.

Don´t know about the Sandisk Plus, didn´t find any reviews either but usually what you pay is what you get. Don´t know if its TLC or MLC, SLC definetly not. But anyways SSD-s are fast and reliable thesedays.

The graphics card doesn´t fit with HDD cages installed into the case!

For the money, I think the 290X would be a great investment, especially if he/she can get on secondhand from a reliable source. However, it's recommended to stay away from the GTX970. Not because of the 3.5 GB of memory thing, but because the new R9 390 beats it in (just about) every category, making it the superior card for the cost. Levi, I like Nvidia and AMD alike, but the 970 has been toppled as king of performance:price, so do not get it. 

Exactly, that's what I was thinking with the SSD, thanks for your input Van :) 

Oh darn! I knew I was forgetting to check something! Thanks Van, do you have a different case you would recommend? I had the Corsair SPEC-01 Red before my current Enthoo Luxe and it was pretty spacious, maybe it would be big enough? The SPEC-01 is pretty cheap if I recall correctly and definitely pretty well made.