Why people change names?

Masa_1964

Maybe I'm bit old but why players whant to change name when play games? Is there trick I dont get or what? I see players do ratings etc to change names but why others?

Masa_1964

• Like 1

Boredom.

Hiding from stalkers.

Getting away from a previous reputation.

Looking for a change.

Alt-O-Holic (mmo players will get m'drift)

Fun.

• Like 8

- bored?

- what stalkers? famous?

- what reputation?

- change of what?

- (this one I missed)

- fun?

too much ? tell me what I missed.

Masa_1964

I should ask you the question: Why not?

Sometimes I'm bored to play as meow, so I think of something else and just use it. I personally always use something related to cats. meow, miaw, miau, FeistyCat, FurryPussy, etc.

• Like 1

Boredom. Changed from F3@R to Jobba because I liked it better. Just represents me as of now instead of F3@R which I made up when I was like 10 years old Lol.

- bored?

- what stalkers? famous?

- what reputation?

- change of what?

- (this one I missed)

- fun?

too much ? tell me what I missed.

Masa_1964

Indeed, bored! Some people get bored of their usernames especially as they grow older. I used to rock Aevo for many of my younger years and then changed to SiD.

Stalking: Gamers are nuts. Especially certain types of male gamers that seem to go creeper mode whenever a chick shows up. Seen it a ton in my years gaming online and know a couple of people that had to switch up usernames to get away from it.

Reputation: Positive or negative. Some people get tired of it, or want a break. Changing names is a good way to go low profile or hide out. Look how crazy some dudes go over 'famous' names in a  game. Especially younger kids. They'll follow the popular player around or annoy the piss out of them with questions out the ass. Changing up usernames lets you play in peace. Same goes for players with a bad rep for being an a**h****, or doing something stupid (like cheating for example) may change their names to get a fresh start, and try to change their behavior at the same time.

A change. Some people like to switch it up and keep things fresh. Playing under the same name for life isn't always fun. Especially if you're named something common like Gh0stK1ller666 or S0lidSn@k313.

And yeah, for fun. I changed my name to Deadpool for a bit for fun. Kept things in that theme. Couple of dudes on COD4 side changed their names to the two protagonists from the show Miami vice and role-played it.

• Like 3

yeah, I kind of undestand but how it change boredom? feel like new person who knows others but they dont know u? Bretty short minded if u ask me.

Masa_1964

The internet's a scary place. Having multiple names means that it's harder for people to figure out who you are. One time when I was one battlefield 4, a guy was being a jackass to his teammates. I googled his username to check his stats and within 10 minutes I had his name, age, occupation, and address. I got all of this because he used one username on multiple sites. Honestly kind of freaked me out that with minimal effort and access to google, some random jackass can learn your basic identity. It was a big wakeup call for me that the venire of anonymity on the inter webs is completely fake. 

• Like 1

Yeah, thats what I try figure out. I have been around "internet" before it existed and find things people in early 90's so it has been over 25y of this "knowledge" I wonder what is gained other than small range misunderstandings? Maybe u people can open this secret box which I have not been capable to open so far. Specially maybe people have infrormation but what to do with it, can it b used wrong way? In most cases (99%) it cant :) Sorry to shoot ur hopes out. But realy most information is secured behind on mass of "shit load" of data. do I feel un secured after this... of cause I'm but I hope it helps others :)

Masa_1964

mostly because i have different moods, loved to use random name, loved to change my name because i try to have fun with the name behind.. 

loved to use the name hermione   :P

gallery_7447_3_57890.png

but to be honest i always stay with a variations of my name, lume is the one i like.. 

Indeed, bored! Some people get bored of their usernames especially as they grow older. I used to rock Aevo for many of my younger years and then changed to SiD.

Stalking: Gamers are nuts. Especially certain types of male gamers that seem to go creeper mode whenever a chick shows up. Seen it a ton in my years gaming online and know a couple of people that had to switch up usernames to get away from it.

I get why some people change their name, but I'm known as Sis and I hope to get people who I used to play with to come play with me (on FA servers obviously :D

I have to say I have thought about changing my nickname (long time ago already) trying something new but I'm not creative at all so I wouldn't even know what to take (if anyone has a suggestion feel free to let me know though)

Also thankfully I don't have stalkers, however I might just ignore them, can't be bothered with much, it's the internet! If it goes as far as stalking me to where I live.. Yes but that's already like super creepy (and I would kick their ass anyway)

These kids have no personality masa, that is the main reason :P... ok just kidding. I usually use the same nick from the beginning of time, but on occasion I wanted to go undercover (although I have not had much success) and have used another alias. In my case there is no other cause that discretion :ph34r:

• Administrators

Sometimes, I just get bored to be honest and i change up name. I have used few: hellreturn / night-hunter / blacky / daredevil / sincity  but that's being it. Some people change names every week or so and i feel that's too much. I find it hard to know who is who. 

Sometimes, I just get bored to be honest and i change up name. I have used few: hellreturn / night-hunter / blacky / daredevil / sincity 

wth? o-0 il get in shock when i saw that :P ....