The Film Industry

Nagato

Hi everyone, my apologies for not having been on the forums for a long time, probably 2-3 months(has been really busy with school, and decided to focus more ever since the death of my father last year). To that end, I will be finishing up my high school in Vancouver before heading for California(probably Santa Monica College for a 2 year transfer program film -> before heading to a universities, USC, UCLA)

With that said, the job prospects are horrible for an aspiring film graduate and I was considering into journalism too. Therefore, I am asking for opinions. My mother is alone, but I really want to become a screenwriter or producer, but I reckon it might be safer to go into a generic degree (although Journalism is kinda specific too) In light of that, any opinions will be generally helpful! I have talked with my mother about it and she told me to pursue my dreams. Nevertheless, as a foreigner it will be almost impossible to obtain a work permit in the future to work in the American film industry(and if I go back to my country, I will most certainly have no job). Sorry for being a bother everyone!

PS: As of current results, I am topping my high school in overall grades and also serve as the Captain of my school Rowing team(I am not afraid to work hard in general, but I am afraid I won't even get the chance to show my worth).

To reiterate, I conjecture that it will be wiser to seek for 3rd party opinions too, and generally speaking, most of the community are people who resides in the United States; hence, any suggestion will prove to be of paramount significance.

Edited by Nagato
  • Like 1

Well honestly, I don't feel that the Hollywood film industry is going to last much longer as-is. It's circling the bowl; just look at all the crap they're putting out today, compared to even 20 years ago. And if you've ever been there, you'll know it's not a place to live; it's more like a circus land of cut-throat devils standing on each others' faces. There's no real life or love there, just greed, lust, and image. And, it is really expensive to live there. It took me less than two years to run screaming from L.A..

To continue, I find post-secondary education to be a debt-scam. I have a B.A. in Broadcast journalism with a minor in psychology. If I could have my $50,000 back, I'd surely take it without a second thought. What interests you about journalism? I wanted to be a writer, and an English degree, considering how many English majors I knew that work food service, seemed really impractical. It was only after I took the JRE that I realized journalism was not what I personally was looking for, but was too far engaged to change course. I've learned that if you want to pursue a career in journalism these days, you'd better be a sports writer. If that's you, cool, but it was not me. The days of Hunter S. Thompson are long gone.

I don't mean to be such a negative Nancy, but I've been around and seen a lot. Sorry if I seem scattered or incoherent, but you've stimulated many of my own past memories; it's difficult to summarize. If you'd ever want, we can chat about this more anytime. I've got plenty of stories! If I could have all these years back, I'd have stayed nearer to my family and learned a trade, like welding or carpentry. My only advice, for whatever it's worth, is forget about Hollywood. It's the land of broken dreams and murdered runaways.

And anyway, Canada has free healthcare.

• Like 1

Well honestly, I don't feel that the Hollywood film industry is going to last much longer as-is. It's circling the bowl; just look at all the crap they're putting out today, compared to even 20 years ago. And if you've ever been there, you'll know it's not a place to live; it's more like a circus land of cut-throat devils standing on each others' faces. There's no real life or love there, just greed, lust, and image. And, it is really expensive to live there. It took me less than two years to run screaming from L.A..

To continue, I find post-secondary education to be a debt-scam. I have a B.A. in Broadcast journalism with a minor in psychology. If I could have my $50,000 back, I'd surely take it without a second thought. What interests you about journalism? I wanted to be a writer, and an English degree, considering how many English majors I knew that work food service, seemed really impractical. It was only after I took the JRE that I realized journalism was not what I personally was looking for, but was too far engaged to change course. I've learned that if you want to pursue a career in journalism these days, you'd better be a sports writer. If that's you, cool, but it was not me. The days of Hunter S. Thompson are long gone.

I don't mean to be such a negative Nancy, but I've been around and seen a lot. Sorry if I seem scattered or incoherent, but you've stimulated many of my own past memories; it's difficult to summarize. If you'd ever want, we can chat about this more anytime. I've got plenty of stories! If I could have all these years back, I'd have stayed nearer to my family and learned a trade, like welding or carpentry. My only advice, for whatever it's worth, is forget about Hollywood. It's the land of broken dreams and murdered runaways.

And anyway, Canada has free healthcare.

Hey John,

Generally speaking, initially I aspired to be an actor. Nevertheless, being a typical asian lad[what's more, I am not American], it will technically be almost impossible for me to break into the industry. Therefore, I decided to pursue my second passion, which is writing. Essentially, writing is another way for me tom express myself, while being able to connect with people. There is another reason to pursuing writing/acting(but it's a lengthy one, although if you will like to know, I don't mind sharing). 

Whatever the case, it has always been hammered to us outsiders that America is the land of vision and dreams. "If you want to pursue something, America is the place to head to" is a saying reiterated by many. Vancouver does have a booming film industry too; however, with that said, I am basically limited to a choice of one school if I stay here. But, if I were to head to California, there will be much more options for me. 

Having done my mandatory military stint in Singapore, as well as taking on various other jobs, I have concluded that the constant 8-5(being the computer all day long)option just isn't for me. With journalism, it seems justifiable to assume that the career will be a spontaneous one(same goes for screenwriting). Ultimately, I am still weighing my options and have approximately 6 weeks left before I make my decision. I am truly grateful to you for giving me a critical advice. If I may intrude, is it alright for me to ask what job scope/sector you entered upon graduation? Thank you and God Bless.

Yours Sincerely,

Ryan [Nagato :D]

• Like 1

After college, I didn't even look to work in my field. With many options in life, I find direct a correlation between who you know and what you can ultimately do. I lived with my parents when I was 23 and lucked into a very well-paying factory job, where I stayed +/-80hrs/wk. for more than 2 years, saving up my money. I saved about $71,000 in fact, and that enabled me to roam the USA for about a decade afterward, mostly not repaying my loans, and trying to get a break in the music scene and working crappy jobs. NYC, Philly, Chicago, New Orleans, L.A., Seatte; I lived some years in all of 'em.

So, I suppose I entered the degenerate sector. :D

• Like 2